Author Topic: Interesting BIOS Configuration...  (Read 6235 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Interesting BIOS Configuration...
« on: November 27, 2006, 12:09:50 am »
My setup is pretty freakin' weird. I have two hard-drives (Serial-ATA) and during BIOS booting, only one of them is recognized. When my main Linux drive is plugged into the primary SATA cable, and my Windows drive the secondary cable, apparently LILO can't see or recognize my Windows drive, because it refuses to boot it. However, if I boot Linux, it mounts my Windows drive like it was nothing.

If I switch their cables, Windows boots like a charm.

Thoughts?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Interesting BIOS Configuration...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:31:52 am »
Thoughts?
You're defective.  Kill yourself.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 12:34:15 am »
Seriously. Fix my damn problem. :(
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:07:25 am »
My setup is pretty freakin' weird. I have two hard-drives (Serial-ATA) and during BIOS booting, only one of them is recognized. When my main Linux drive is plugged into the primary SATA cable, and my Windows drive the secondary cable, apparently LILO can't see or recognize my Windows drive, because it refuses to boot it. However, if I boot Linux, it mounts my Windows drive like it was nothing.

Thoughts?
My guess is it's a Vista issue, and that LILO just doesn't recognize it. I'd say to direct the MBR to Vista, and you edit one of your .ini files in Windows (forgot which one), making Vista the bootloader.

EDIT: Maybe even find that .ini file in Vista, see what the command line is for booting Vista, and if possible, manually give that information to LILO. If not, I believe GRUB will let you manually enter than information. I'm just guessing that the command for booting Windows has changed with Vista.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:09:39 am by Metal Militia »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:07:10 am »

Thoughts?
My guess is it's a Vista issue, and that LILO just doesn't recognize it. I'd say to direct the MBR to Vista, and you edit one of your .ini files in Windows (forgot which one), making Vista the bootloader.

EDIT: Maybe even find that .ini file in Vista, see what the command line is for booting Vista, and if possible, manually give that information to LILO. If not, I believe GRUB will let you manually enter than information. I'm just guessing that the command for booting Windows has changed with Vista.
Vista's bootloader is completely new (it uses something called BCD for Boot Configuration Database) and you can't just edit boot.ini to get it to load LILO.  However, assuming you can boot LILO from Vista by having it read MBR for the LILO partition, you could try Googling VistaBootPro and adding your LILO drive entry into the BCD database.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 08:38:10 am »
Err, I wasn't saying to make Vista boot LILO, yet Vista to boot Linux.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 09:50:31 am »
VistaBootPro doesn't have support for adding non-Windows drives (BAH!) to its database. :|
- Newby

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 06:09:51 pm »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »
It only supports GRUB.
- Newby

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 07:49:38 pm »
Use GRUB then, it's better anyway.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 07:53:09 pm »
Use GRUB then, it's better anyway.

Nah. LILO is established. GRUB is new and bleh.

I fixed the problem. I told my BIOS to detect, and it worked. Who'da thunk it? :)
- Newby

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 08:08:07 pm »
Nah. LILO is established. GRUB is new and bleh.
"new"

::)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 08:16:11 pm »
I know. New things suck. :(
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 11:18:02 pm »

Yet you use the 2.6 kernel?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 11:59:06 pm »

Yet you use the 2.6 kernel?

newby@impaler:~$ uname -a
Linux impaler 2.4.31 #21 Sun Jun 5 19:19:51 PDT 2005 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Eh?
- Newby