Author Topic: Automobile tax cuts for small businesses  (Read 5860 times)

trust

Automobile tax cuts for small businesses
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:51:58 pm »
Does anyone know if the tax write off applies for used cars? Or if they apply to cars used for advertising?

My parents are trying to sell my Jeep Cherokee and have me get a larger SUV. All of the information I could find online had to do basically do with the SUV tax cuts being debated in Congress. I'm not sure if these apply to used cars or only new cars. If I put a thing on the back of my car advertising my dads business does that count as advertising enough for it to be considered a business vehicle? I don't know if anyone here would know this, but figured I'd ask.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Automobile tax cuts for small businesses
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 01:48:12 pm »
I'd say call an accountant.

My neighbor's wife's Expedition was bought under the company, no advertising on it.  He gets away with it fine.
What business, though?

trust

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 02:27:25 pm »
What business, though?

exterior finishing.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 02:39:44 pm »
It might HAVE to be a decently large SUV, like an Expedition or something to be able to write it off

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:54:24 pm »
Or you know, you could stop trying to screw the government you love so much.
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:55:41 pm »
It's not screwing the gov't, it's working the system.

trust

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:39 pm »

It's not screwing the government as it's also being used for business purposes. I don't see the problem? The government wouldn't offer tax cuts (up $25,000 for SUV's recently dropped from $100,000) if they didn't want you using them.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:34:51 am »
Really, you're conning the government by trying to get out of what you should pay. You're essentially putting a fucking bumper sticker on a personal vehicle and calling it a business vehicle. To be eligible for the tax breaks, the vehicle is supposed to be used at least 50% for business purposes.

trust

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:14:11 am »
Really, you're conning the government by trying to get out of what you should pay. You're essentially putting a fucking bumper sticker on a personal vehicle and calling it a business vehicle. To be eligible for the tax breaks, the vehicle is supposed to be used at least 50% for business purposes.

Advertising is a necessity for any small business.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 06:16:05 pm »
I'm going to say it again. The vehicle is not going to be used by the business; I don't car how you want to try and swing it, it's not. It's going to be used by a spoiled kid who will put his dad's bumper sticker on it.

trust

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:31:16 pm »
I'm going to say it again. The vehicle is not going to be used by the business; I don't car how you want to try and swing it, it's not. It's going to be used by a spoiled kid who will put his dad's bumper sticker on it.

I'm spoiled because I need transportation? What the fuck? Besides I asked if the tax cut could be used on used cars. Unless you know the answer perhaps you should just stop insulting me. I couldn't find the answer on google so I asked here.

And if by spoiled you mean because of getting a new car, the reason is because there are some problems with my current one and it's over 100,000 miles which makes my mother uneasy. By 'larger' SUV I don't mean like an Excursion or anything, I mean like a Grand Cherokee. So basically you can shut the fuck up.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:51 pm »
I'm spoiled because I need transportation? What the fuck? Besides I asked if the tax cut could be used on used cars. Unless you know the answer perhaps you should just stop insulting me. I couldn't find the answer on google so I asked here.

And if by spoiled you mean because of getting a new car, the reason is because there are some problems with my current one and it's over 100,000 miles which makes my mother uneasy. By 'larger' SUV I don't mean like an Excursion or anything, I mean like a Grand Cherokee. So basically you can shut the fuck up.
a) Have you done anything to warrant getting a new car besides tear your old one up?
b) You're the one who is looking to get a cheaper/free ride at the government's expense, so go ahead and feel free to use your right to remain silent

And yes, you can get a tax deduction on previously-owned equipment equipment. But again, it's supposed to be used for at least 50% business.

trust

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 12:07:53 am »
a) Have you done anything to warrant getting a new car besides tear your old one up?

I haven't torn my old one up. The problems are problems that have been there since I got it (ie. the window regulator which alternates between window lock is stuck in permanent lock mode so passengers can't roll down their windows. The part to replace it is ~$400) Secondly, I have no control over the mileage as it had high mileage already. My mom told me she didn't feel comfortable with me driving a car with >100,000 miles so far from home and in the hills. I can't say I blame her. Because my mother wants me to be safe equates to me being spoiled? Sorry I asked a question and have caring parents.

Edit:
Plus you really know nothing of my situation and are in no place to judge.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:31:04 am by Trust »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:46:33 am »
Well, a lot of people at your age drive old beater cars that they bought themselves. When I was that age I got this old Chevy Sprint which just barely moved. I could see people thinking it unfair that you get a better vehicle than most of their parents probably have (my parents anyway). It's not unreasonable to be jealous in that kind of situation.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:10:09 am »
Well, a lot of people at your age drive old beater cars that they bought themselves. When I was that age I got this old Chevy Sprint which just barely moved. I could see people thinking it unfair that you get a better vehicle than most of their parents probably have (my parents anyway). It's not unreasonable to be jealous in that kind of situation.
LMAO! Trust me, I'm not jealous.

and @Trust: Your example sucks. A window regulator doesn't make the car unsafe to drive. Furthermore, I'll judge whatever and whoever I want whether or not you think it's my place or not. If you've got a problem with it, Maddox's Cadbury Surprise is the perfect solution; you'll never have another problem with me (or anyone in this world) after it.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:37:45 am »
Can I have your old car?
:(
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:47:02 am »

I haven't torn my old one up. The problems are problems that have been there since I got it (ie. the window regulator which alternates between window lock is stuck in permanent lock mode so passengers can't roll down their windows. The part to replace it is ~$400) Secondly, I have no control over the mileage as it had high mileage already. My mom told me she didn't feel comfortable with me driving a car with >100,000 miles so far from home and in the hills. I can't say I blame her. Because my mother wants me to be safe equates to me being spoiled? Sorry I asked a question and have caring parents.

Edit:
Plus you really know nothing of my situation and are in no place to judge.
Jeeps aren't the most reliable vehicle.

My old 87 Accord has 200k+ on it.  That'd be a decent car for you ;)

trust

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:27:51 am »

The majority of teenagers drive cars their parents bought at > $10,000. I remember reading that somewhere. And the point of this topic isn't to see how fair it is, but to see if it's allowed.

I didn't mean the regulator to be taken as a safety hazard, it's just more or less the only thing wrong with it now (went to the shop yesterday for some stuff.) I'm also too tall for the car and my mom doesn't like the way I'm positioned in it. There are a lot of contributing factors but the consensus is I'm looking for a newer car. I was just checking the possibilities to see how we could save some extra money.

Sorry that my mother cares about my safety and sorry for wanting to save my parents money. I'm a horrible person. Anyway this topic is obviously going nowhere and should be locked.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 02:43:56 am »
The majority of teenagers drive cars their parents bought at > $10,000. I remember reading that somewhere. And the point of this topic isn't to see how fair it is, but to see if it's allowed.
..... No, just no.

I didn't mean the regulator to be taken as a safety hazard, it's just more or less the only thing wrong with it now (went to the shop yesterday for some stuff.) I'm also too tall for the car and my mom doesn't like the way I'm positioned in it. There are a lot of contributing factors but the consensus is I'm looking for a newer car. I was just checking the possibilities to see how we could save some extra money.

Sorry that my mother cares about my safety and sorry for wanting to save my parents money. I'm a horrible person. Anyway this topic is obviously going nowhere and should be locked.
HAHAHAHA! Does your supposed safety have a price? If your mom thinks you need a better vehicle, cost shouldn't be a factor. Also, why are you apologizing for this stuff? It sounds like you're ashamed of it.

And I already answered your question (or were you too busy replying to fully read my post). If you're absolutely intent on passing it off as a tax deduction, previously owned vehicles over 3 tons can be written off.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 03:12:45 am »
previously owned vehicles over 3 tons can be written off.
So buy yourself a semi, just to be safe, Trust. ;)
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 03:30:47 am »
So buy yourself a semi, just to be safe, Trust. ;)
Hell yeah! Safety and power!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 09:14:11 am »
Since when does 100,000 miles make a car unsafe  ::)

trust

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 09:59:34 am »
..... No, just no.

The price was off, my mistake. It's 51% of parents buy their childs car, and 70% of the cars are > $5000.

HAHAHAHA! Does your supposed safety have a price? If your mom thinks you need a better vehicle, cost shouldn't be a factor. Also, why are you apologizing for this stuff? It sounds like you're ashamed of it.

And I already answered your question (or were you too busy replying to fully read my post). If you're absolutely intent on passing it off as a tax deduction, previously owned vehicles over 3 tons can be written off.

The apologies are obviously sarcastic, of course I'm not ashamed.

Anyway thanks for answering my question, I really appreciate it. This topic can be closed now since I have my answer.  ;D

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 10:13:07 am »
F150 ;)  Can't get much safer I don't think!  And you can get a new one for $20k and decent used for like $15k I'm sure

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 05:19:28 pm »
My girlfriend got her second jeep grand cherokee (her sister totalled her first one, which was junky anyways) for $1500 with ~30,000 miles on it. It drives great.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 05:27:17 pm »
Jeeps are unreliable and dirty (like emissions wise).  At least older ones are AFAIK.  I'd stay away from Jeep.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 05:35:07 pm »
Are they that much worse than pickup trucks?

If you want to be environmental, drive a small car. 

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 05:59:27 pm »

If you want to be environmental, drive a small car. 

Not always true ;D
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 06:05:17 pm »
I bet his old jeep is worse than my new truck.

And as I recall, an old jeep is worse than an old truck (I'm going off of the year about 93 which is I think what trust's is).

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 06:11:36 pm »
Jeeps are unreliable and dirty (like emissions wise).  At least older ones are AFAIK.  I'd stay away from Jeep.
It's plenty reliable. It's a 1990, and she's had it for a yearish with zero problems.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:34 pm »
I bet his old jeep is worse than my new truck.

And as I recall, an old jeep is worse than an old truck (I'm going off of the year about 93 which is I think what trust's is).
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20051.shtml
Ouch, I lose BIG time.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/10551.shtml

trust

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:15 pm »
It's a 99.