Author Topic: Man has $23,000 taken by DEA. Bonus: He didn't do anything wrong  (Read 4462 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5081398.html

Sure it's possible (and maybe even probable) that the money is from drugs, but with not proof it's F'D up the authorities to seize that man's money.  Maybe he's just one of those conspiracy theorists that is afraid that the government will take his money if he keeps it in the bank.  And if so, looks like his suspicions are true.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:22:15 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
Re: Douche bag cops/fucked up system
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:21:57 pm »
I'm not sure if you're going to find this as interesting as I did, but it's definitely something to be outraged over:

http://forum.weedspotter.com/legal/455-budthirsty-washington-state-patrol-will-do-almost-anything-bust.html
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:38:58 pm »
You know, CrAz3D, if you don't slant the entire article straight from the title, people might like, read your topics and read your threads. But until then, every time I see something offensive right from the title, I tend to avoid it. I'm sure others do too. :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:53:16 pm »
You know, CrAz3D, if you don't slant the entire article straight from the title, people might like, read your topics and read your threads. But until then, every time I see something offensive right from the title, I tend to avoid it. I'm sure others do too. :/
What kind of good Republican tells it straight?  Honestly.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:16:44 pm »
I'm not sure if you're going to find this as interesting as I did, but it's definitely something to be outraged over:
http://forum.weedspotter.com/legal/455-budthirsty-washington-state-patrol-will-do-almost-anything-bust.html
That is jacked up.  I dislike abuses of authority like that.  Cops tend to think themselves above the law, it annoys the crap out of me.

I suppose my title could've been less vulgar, but it is true nonetheless. 
Some over zealous cops took a man's money without good reason or evidence because they believed him to be a drug dealer of sorts.  What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
There have been other news stories like this where money gets seized based on the slightest suspicion and then the suspected criminal ends up having to spend money in legal fees to get some of it back.  Where is the justice in any of this?

What kind of good Republican tells it straight?  Honestly.
Don't you have a cow to go eat or something?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:19:02 pm »
I suppose my title could've been less vulgar, but it is true nonetheless. 
Some over zealous cops took a man's money without good reason or evidence because they believed him to be a drug dealer of sorts.  What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
There have been other news stories like this where money gets seized based on the slightest suspicion and then the suspected criminal ends up having to spend money in legal fees to get some of it back.  Where is the justice in any of this?

It's not about what happens. It's about naming the facts with as little bias as possible. Remain neutral. You can rant and rave about how unfair it is in the topic itself, but come on, the title is important. You could have done "Washington police arrest parents of little accident surviving girl" and then explained what happened. "Douche bag cops/fucked up system" is not very specific. At all.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Man has money taken by DEA. Bonus: He didn't do anything wrong
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 03:22:05 pm »
That was Explicit's article, but ok ;)

Is it better now?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Man has money taken by DEA. Bonus: He didn't do anything wrong
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:29:26 pm »
That was Explicit's article, but ok ;)

Lose the bonus. Life will be good.

Or consolidate: "Man has possible drug-money seized by DEA"
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Man has $23,000 taken by DEA. Bonus: He didn't do anything wrong
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 06:47:57 pm »
Something doesn't add up about that:

Anastasio Prieto of El Paso gave a state police officer at the weigh station permission to search the truck to see if it contained "needles or cash in excess of $10,000," according to the American Civil Liberties Union, which filed the federal lawsuit Thursday.

That's sort of glossed over -- why were they specifically searching for needles or money?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 12:00:07 am »
They probably just asked.  We have A LOT of friggin drugs that come up through here

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 12:22:44 am »

Actually, this is about a douchebag cop and a fucked up system, though..
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 03:20:59 am »
They probably just asked.  We have A LOT of friggin drugs that come up through here
I doubt they walk up to everybody and say "can we search for needles and money?". That's way too specific and vague.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 03:29:10 am »
I doubt they walk up to everybody and say "can we search for needles and money?". That's way too specific and vague.

They probably had suspisions about the guy and needles and money are two things that AFAIK dogs can't really sniff for or might not be trained to sniff for. Which is probably why they needed to search by hand for them.

Is it just and legal? Well thats for the court to decide.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 03:48:01 am »
Well, since they had no evidence/reason to seize his money, it IS unjust.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 08:53:42 am »
Pretty sure it's legal for money to be taken as drug money on basis of suspicion. It's not like they'll keep it if it turns out to be wrong.
If your money is taken for drug related purposes, chances are you're behind bars without the ability to spend it anyhow.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling