Author Topic: So quiet!  (Read 7021 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
So quiet!
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:48:14 am »
It seems like it's been really quiet here lately. What's going on!? Is my alligator avatar scaring people away? :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: So quiet!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 09:10:38 am »
No idea! :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:14:04 am »
I agree. This place is completely dead!

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:35:03 am »
yeah it is i am completely bored out of my mind with no one to reply or post to. :(

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:38:21 am »
I actually thought that too, but I associated it to the fact that I had been visiting boards with 100000x more activity than x86 at it's peak :D

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:49:41 am »
Whore.

On a side note, there were lots of new posts a couple days ago :\

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:09:53 am »
I think it's probably related to people going back to school, and it should pick back up. That's my thought. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 10:21:39 am »
pssht, slackers.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 10:36:52 am »
Or maybe it's because CrAz3d hadn't posted 10 news story/day :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 11:31:24 am »
I think it's probably related to people going back to school, and it should pick back up. That's my thought. :)
Possible...

This is more likely.

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 11:46:34 am »
Thats it.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 12:40:23 pm »
In his defence, I LOL at one in three. Those are some pretty fucked up stories.

Example: Go Loobs!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 02:14:53 pm »
This is more likely.
So BASICALLY, I AM why x86 is active?  Cool  :D

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 02:43:21 pm »
I blame school, even though I manage to find time anyways.  THis place has been going down in activity well before school started, though.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 03:39:10 pm »
I actually thought that too, but I associated it to the fact that I had been visiting boards with 100000x more activity than x86 at it's peak :D

You're a nobody on 4chan. That's the difference between here and there: here, you're a person. On 4chan, you're another random anonymous idiot.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 04:10:10 pm »

You're a nobody on 4chan. That's the difference between here and there: here, you're a person. On 4chan, you're another random anonymous idiot.
It isn't just 4chan :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 05:11:43 pm »
I'd much rather be an active member of a community like x86 than even, say, slashdot.

I've made some really valuable connections through x86.  There are many incredibly knowledgeable members that can help me with just about anything I need within the realm of academia.  For example, I usually bug iago once every couple of weeks with a question I have concerning Linux, security, etc.

For me, the number of currently active members in a community plays little role in how happy I am being a member.  As long as there are a few good members who are continuously active, the rest doesn't matter.

By the way of the topic, if I had to make a guess, I'd side with iago.  School has started for almost everybody and we're all getting situated.  I'm really busy this semester (18 credit hours, one credit is an independent study which will probably amount to the work of a 4 credit hour class, a work study and two clubs), so my activity will probably lessen a bit.  I still visit the forums very regularly, but I don't post as much.

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 05:26:57 pm »
I've swapped from home-schooling to public school and am noticing the increase in projects and homework, so I post less. 'Tis life.
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 05:44:33 pm »
Ok, yeah, school.  I just spent ~2 hrs writing :-\ and I have still so much more to do on that one assignment as well as others

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 07:39:56 pm »
By the way of the topic, if I had to make a guess, I'd side with iago.  School has started for almost everybody and we're all getting situated.  I'm really busy this semester (18 credit hours, one credit is an independent study which will probably amount to the work of a 4 credit hour class, a work study and two clubs), so my activity will probably lessen a bit.  I still visit the forums very regularly, but I don't post as much.

Same kind of topic spawned up at kerrazy-torrents, and everyone blamed it on school. Apparently the same kind of topic comes up about this time of year, too. :)
- Newby

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 07:46:59 pm »
speaking of school how does college credit work?
is it like so and so amount of credits equals a class session?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 07:52:29 pm »
In theory, about as much time as you spend IN class is what the "credit hour" is.
Like I spend 3 hrs/week for one of my classes.  It's a 3 credit class.  At least that's how I've always heard it.

If you ask me it's all bull shit.  They should just tell you what fucking classes you need to take and be done with it.  Also, none of that "expand your horizons" class shit and electives are generally pointless as well.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 10:01:28 pm »
Yeah, a credit, or credit hour, is 1 hour/week. Every class I took was either 3 or 6 credits.

And for electives, depending on where you apply, can be very important. That's one of the things that I'm most interested in when I view applicants. It shows what interests they have outside of their career path, and that can provide invaluable insight into their character.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 10:12:07 pm »
Our electives include swimming, bowling, archery, world dance, and other weird/pointless crap.
What electives do you all have?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 10:18:21 pm »
In university, I took philosophy, roman history, and a few other interesting things.

In highschool I did drafting and art, both of which have, if you can believe it, come in handy in real life. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 10:23:04 pm »
Things like that are required of us as general education credits.
We have general education classes (intro to ___ phil, psych, geology, astronomy, chemistry, biology, etc) that you have to select a few from.
We have "viewing a wider world" classes.  You have to select 2 classes outside of your college and inside 2 different colleges (I'm taking Chemical Engineering 395 Brewing Sciences and also Human Sexuality [apart of the Health and Human Services dept]).
And FINALLY you have to take elective courses.

It's stupid

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 12:17:50 am »
Credits lie.  All the time, especially with classes that have recitations and labs.

For instance, my physics class.  I had a lecture (3 credits) for 3 hours a week, two 1 hour recitations (0 credits), and a two hour lab (0 credits).  That's 7 hours a week for 3 credits.  SUCKITUDE.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 12:31:33 am »
Credits lie.  All the time, especially with classes that have recitations and labs.

For instance, my physics class.  I had a lecture (3 credits) for 3 hours a week, two 1 hour recitations (0 credits), and a two hour lab (0 credits).  That's 7 hours a week for 3 credits.  SUCKITUDE.

Yeah, I've noticed that rule doesn't apply in some of the more sciencey type courses.  The introductory Physics courses here are 4 credits.  There are three lecture periods a week, a one-hour recitation and a two-hour lab.  I think the same is true for intro chemistry courses, but I'm pretty sure their labs are 3 hours long.

There's some "rule" where the number of credits * 2 for a class is supposed to indicate the average amount of time spent on the course outside of class periods (meaning homework, studying, etc) in a week.  I haven't found that to be the case, though.  I don't spend anywhere near 8 hours a week on Calculus or CS stuff.  It might take the "average" student around that, though.  I don't know.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 12:33:04 am »
I recall that "homework" time rule, too.

None of them are true, it's just a Jewish scheme to convince us all of some sort of invasion operation

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 08:46:07 am »
I quickly realized that a credit is basically just a credit. A 3-credit course was 2 or 3 days a week for a semester, and a 6-credit course was 5 days a week for a semester or 2/3 days a week for the whole year. That's how my school did it, at any rate. 

trust

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 12:34:59 pm »
Since you split off topics, tell me something, and don't let me reply I figure I'll reply here. First off I didn't 'insult' anybody, I didn't call him a name I just said that he acts like a prick. By your reasoning he has insulted me numerous times. I know you'll say that he's a member and has the right to say whatever he wants to me (but, wait, wasn't that whole member-superiority thing the reason everyone had a problem with e1?) but x86 is a small internet community, it's not like anything here actually matters. I'm not going to silence my opinion because he is a higher level on a forum than I am.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 12:40:12 pm »
My feelings on this matter can be summed up by two letters: QQ.

Seriously, though, we try to move anything that's major flame bait to the trash can.  If you have beef with rabbit, take it up with him or talk to someone off of the boards about it.  I like to think that all of the moderators are really reasonable.

You can keep "voicing your opinion," but if we find any of your posts to be little more than flame bait (your recent ones haven't been), we're going to trash them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 01:04:55 pm »
Sidoh's right. In many cases, I actually agree with what you're saying. But if something is totally off topic and is only going to cause a fight/argument/whatever, like it did initially, then I deal with it.

And no, he doesn't have the right to insult whomever he wants. While I can't moderate every board, I try to move/remove insulting posts regardless of who posted them.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2007, 01:32:38 am »
I took almost all of the CS courses at my college and then dropped out when I ran out of money.

In order to get the degree, I have to go back and take 3 PE classes, one foreign language class, two projects, and one more physics class, and some elective nonsense.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!