Author Topic: The "iPod Touch"  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
The "iPod Touch"
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:02:52 pm »
The iPhone, minus the phone functionality.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Here's a guided tour: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/guidedtour/large.html

$300 for an 8GB model. No thank you.

Oh, and for a limited time, $300 4GB iPhones!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:18:08 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: The "iPod Touch"
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:26:33 am »
The "Touch" I feel while it is very sexy (like the iPhone) competes almost directly with the iPhone.
It's nice to see them moving into WiFi (Safari, the Starbucks stuff, etc) but I feel they're just putting out too many devices with no clear winner.

Let's not mention that in 8GB and 16GB it's nothing to drool over size wise. What boggles the mind them most is the iPod Classic. It has 80GB and 120GB of mega storage for a video wet dream, but it's on that shit-tastic 2 inch screen. Sort of defeats the purpose.

All in all, I'm impressed by the new Nano, the improvements to the iPhone/Touch(Wireless Song downloading), and the obvious push Multi touch is getting as an input technology.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:53 am »
What boggles the mind them most is the iPod Classic. It has 80GB and 120GB of mega storage for a video wet dream, but it's on that shit-tastic 2 inch screen. Sort of defeats the purpose.
Would work rather well for those of us with very large music collections.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:29:09 am »
Indeed. They're (most likely) going to add the wi-fi feature to the other iPods (just like they added the "color" from the now-extinct "iPod Photo" to all the normal iPods, the "video" from the "iPod Video" to all the normal iPods) so why bother getting an iPhone-wannabe?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:09:48 pm »
If the iPod Touch had 30gb or more of storage, I would buy it.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »
The "Touch" I feel while it is very sexy (like the iPhone) competes almost directly with the iPhone.
It's nice to see them moving into WiFi (Safari, the Starbucks stuff, etc) but I feel they're just putting out too many devices with no clear winner.

How long have you been following Apple's products? They've always been priced such that it's very difficult to justify getting the one you want, because for only $50 more you can get an extra cool feature, or more storage space, or quad dual core processors. If you look at their sales figurers, it works, too! That's why they dropped the 4GB iPhone. If you're going to drop $500 on a phone, why not go all out?

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 12:38:56 am »
same here but its only a wimpy 8 gb so it is a waste of space

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 12:44:16 pm »
same here but its only a wimpy 8 gb so it is a waste of space
Isn't the max 16gb?  I want to buy one.  I have a 4gig nano right now, and I am having trouble picking the music I don't want on my ipod, but a 16 gig would make that a lot easier for me.  I try not to have an excess of music that I don't like or listen to.  Seems like a waste of space to me.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:46:58 pm »
Indeed. They're (most likely) going to add the wi-fi feature to the other iPods (just like they added the "color" from the now-extinct "iPod Photo" to all the normal iPods, the "video" from the "iPod Video" to all the normal iPods) so why bother getting an iPhone-wannabe?

The here-and-now factor.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 12:50:42 pm »
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

I don't normally side with Maddox, but he's got a good point. I definitely wont buy an iPod touch unless they put a harddrive in it.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 06:32:26 pm »
I played with one today, going to buy one on Saturday.

It's a pretty amazing gadget, but you run out of things to do quick. It's going to be completely hacked soon to contain native apps (like the iPhone) so I'll have a SNES emulator up soon :)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:31:44 pm »
I really want one, but to contradict my first post in this thread, I want more space!  I want to be able to store multiple movies on there with all of my songs without worring about picking and choosing which songs to put on there.

I have been waiting for a touch screen ipod since the original Nano came out.  I was pretty disappointed when they came out with the iPod Touch with only 16gb max.  I will probably just save up around 4-5 hundred and wait for the next ones to come out.  They always up the size, so I suppose I can wait until they have one I feel will be adequate for me.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus