Author Topic: Weird computer?  (Read 10085 times)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Weird computer?
« on: September 12, 2007, 11:49:01 am »
Here, at school, during one of my spares I was using a computer in the library and all of a sudden it seemed as though someone took control of my mouse and started exiting windows. It was really strange. Sometimes I would completely lose control of my mouse for 30 seconds. Whoever was doing it selected all the icons on the desktop, right clicked and then stopped. It was really weird.

Can any system get "hacked" like that even in a school?  ??? Just a second ago some large lady sat down and had the same problem.... it was funny.  :D

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Weird computer?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 11:57:31 am »
VNC?

I don't think it's possible for a system to be invulnerable (unless it's like uh... unplugged, but that defeats the purpose).  There's probably always a way in; it's just a matter of finding it.

In the labs at my old high school, I used to unplug my mouse/keyboard and plug them into other peoples' computers when they weren't looking.  It sounds like the motions you're talking about are a bit too controlled for something like that, though.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:55:47 pm »
There was only one other girl in the area and she doesn't know jack about computers. I forgot to mention that after whoever right clicked, the computer completely froze for about 10 seconds. Yes, it was very controlled but even the IT guy was stumped... he was like "are you sure you didn't access any illegal websites!?!!!??". I'm like no??? So I have no idea what happened but it was very strange...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 01:57:13 pm »
There was only one other girl in the area and she doesn't know jack about computers. I forgot to mention that after whoever right clicked, the computer completely froze for about 10 seconds. Yes, it was very controlled but even the IT guy was stumped... he was like "are you sure you didn't access any illegal websites!?!!!??". I'm like no??? So I have no idea what happened but it was very strange...

Sounds something like VNC to me. :-\

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:11:02 pm »

Yeah, for sure. Or it could be any number of backdoors (netbus, backorifice, pcanywhere, etc.)

(For those of you who don't get the joke: pcanywhere is made by Symantec (now), which is where I work. And it totally fits the definition of a backdoor. :) )

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:38:54 pm »

VNC is? And how did it get on the computer?? You can't install anything if you're a student.

Wait... VNC is a remote desktop application, right?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 03:01:47 pm »
That doesn't mean it's impossible to install applications if you're not supposed to (and don't initially have the necessary permissions to do so).

Yes.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:16:34 pm »
That doesn't mean it's impossible to install applications if you're not supposed to (and don't initially have the necessary permissions to do so).

Yes.
I mean you don't have administrative permissions so it wouldn't work. You can't even access the control panel so that wouldn't work.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:51:08 pm »
definitely possible to install VNC on a least priviledged account
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:16 pm »
You can install VNC as a usermode server too.  And if they ARE using a backdoor or somesuch, it's probably not out of the question that they could get admin privileges.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:28 pm »
Hmm... strange.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 06:16:56 pm »
Yeah, for sure. Or it could be any number of backdoors (netbus, backorifice, pcanywhere, etc.)

(For those of you who don't get the joke: pcanywhere is made by Symantec (now), which is where I work. And it totally fits the definition of a backdoor. :) )
My school uses some Altiris software that allows pretty much the same thing. Amusingly enough, they are also owned by Symantec.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 08:04:21 pm »
You can put a VNC client/server on a USB drive and run it from there if you want ;)

That sort of 'vulnerability' should generally be blocked by network traffic rules.  Clearly your school's IT department is not up to par.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 08:19:19 pm »
I mean you don't have administrative permissions so it wouldn't work. You can't even access the control panel so that wouldn't work.

You totally missed what I was saying.  There are exploits classified as "privilege escalations," which is completely self explanatory.

Just because control panel isn't visible in the start menu or there's some policy stored in a registry key saying you can't get there doesn't mean that it's even difficult to do so.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:36:53 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:26:29 pm »

There's this whole concept called "hacking" that's based on this dilemma. It came out in like the '40s.