Announcements > [x86] Announcements

LaTeX Mod

<< < (3/5) > >>

Chavo:

--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 21, 2007, 12:27:52 am ---Little e is used to denote eccentricity, which is a concept used in astrophysics.

--- End quote ---

Also, its a constant ;)

Ender:

--- Quote from: Joe[x86] on October 21, 2007, 03:07:17 am ---First, I don't know how to use LaTeX. I'm guessing that you can type in any standard math equation? Is there a quick-start or "For Dummies" type paper on how to use it?

Ender, I suck at math (or more likely, physics). What does gamma mean?

--- End quote ---

That's absurd. That doesn't mean you suck at math or physics. It just means you don't know something yet. Certainly, Gauss never knew Special Relativity. Does that mean he sucked at math and physics?

So [tex]\displaystyle \gamma = \frac{1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex] The RHS of the equation is annoying to write out, so physicists gave it a name.

Basically, if you're moving at speeds near the speed of light, then according to others: (1) your length contracts, (2) you become more "massive", and (3) time slows down for you. In other words: short, fat, and slow. This is just one example, which is others observing you. More generally, if a frame of reference is moving near the speed of light, its observations/measurements of objects differ from other frames of reference in terms of the time, length, and other things once thought immutable.

Gamma is a factor used in determining how much quantities like time, mass, energy, momentum, etc., change according to you and others.

Sidoh:

--- Quote from: Chavo on October 21, 2007, 04:19:03 am ---Also, its a constant ;)

--- End quote ---

Yes, yes, and Euler's number. :P

Camel:
Funny - I was just thinking it would be useful to set up a tex tag.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[f(x)]=\lim_{dx\to0}\frac{f(x+dx)-f(x)}{dx}[/tex]

Rule:

--- Quote from: Ender on October 21, 2007, 06:34:49 am ---So [tex]\displaystyle \gamma = \frac{1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

--- End quote ---

Missing a square root.

[tex]\displaystyle \gamma = \sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version