Author Topic: In millions of Windows, the perfect Storm is gathering  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
In millions of Windows, the perfect Storm is gathering
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:56:22 pm »
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,2195730,00.html

Anyone else read/hear about this "Storm"? Nice read, even if it's not true.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: In millions of Windows, the perfect Storm is gathering
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 05:22:01 pm »
Storm Worm, aka Peacomm, is a pretty nasty Trojan (note that it isn't a worm, despite the name).

From a skim of that article, it sounds like fear mongering. But even so, Peacomm has the potential to be extremely nasty. The people who made it weren't amateurs, it's pretty obvious that they're professionals who are likely being paid a good salary to write it. So who's paying them? That's the question. :)

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 05:55:46 pm »
The "Storm Worm" has been around for awhile, people are even saying it might be losing strength now. Does it matter who's paying them to make it, though? They've created the largest botnet in history =|

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:29:11 pm »
Since they have (possibly :P) the largest botnet in history, then yes, it does matter who made it. It's a lot of power!

I read recently that they've started to segment the botnet, though, so that specific subsets can only communicate with each other. This may be an indication that they're planning on selling the pieces to different buyers.

Offline MikeonTV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:50:45 am »
My guess is that 'big business' is behind this virus. I they can operate enough machines then they can track trends that are not as easily noticed. Hopefully it's not malicious intent.
Wikipedia SEO

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:48:48 am »
My guess is that 'big business' is behind this virus. I they can operate enough machines then they can track trends that are not as easily noticed. Hopefully it's not malicious intent.

Tracking what users are doing is malicious intent.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MikeonTV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21:07 pm »

I agree. But I meant without doing an harm to the PC. Everyone should be on Linux now anyways.
Wikipedia SEO

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 03:30:43 pm »

I agree. But I meant without doing an harm to the PC. Everyone should be on Linux now anyways.

Sorry iago, but ew.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 04:56:53 pm »
Everyone should be on Linux now anyways.

Why?  That seems depressingly bias to me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:13:34 pm »

I definitely don't agree this is the path. Linux's only potential way to rise to any sort of significance outside it's own technological base of people is to ease it's way in. Ubuntu on Dell is turning out surprisingly well, this is what they need to be doing.

If every PC instantly came with Linux there would be wide-spread rejection. Not to mention that ANY distro that's popular enough would fall under it's own weight.

I'm thinking the only distro to gain any significicance will be one backed by a very rich corporate (In the end, is this any better? A corporation running the show..sounds oddly familiar).

It's either this or you become satisified with your niche share of the market.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 06:22:03 pm »
If every PC instantly came with Linux there would be wide-spread rejection. Not to mention that ANY distro that's popular enough would fall under it's own weight.
I don't think that's true. In fact, it marks one of the biggest differences between opensource and other software. When non-opensource software increases its userbase, more problems are found and many of them go unfixed. When opensource software increases its userbase, in addition to more problems being found, there are also more people who are in a position to help out. Even if 1 out of every 10000 people offers to help, a program with 100000 users has an extra 10 willing to help.

That isn't true in every situation, obviously, and non-opensource software can  hire more people with increased sales. But I still think it's an important distinction.