Author Topic: Man kills dog, gets 3 years.  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
Re: Man kills dog, gets 3 years.
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 01:46:25 pm »
The difference is that a puppy curls up in bed with you, plays with you, and does all sorts of things, while cows stand around re-eating grass and crapping.
Does that apply to all dogs? What about German shepards and pitbulls? Would the situation be different if it was one of those?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 01:54:58 pm »
The difference is that a puppy curls up in bed with you, plays with you, and does all sorts of things, while cows stand around re-eating grass and crapping.
Does that apply to all dogs? What about German shepards and pitbulls? Would the situation be different if it was one of those?
Yeah it does.  Dogs are awesome, unless you raise them to suck :(.
Hell, my parents have a big chow/God only knows what mutt dog that is about 80lbs and slept with me on my bed sometime.

Our 60lbs black lab sleeps with my sometimes.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 07:14:48 pm »
While killing an animal without good reason is morally wrong, you have to look at intent. This guy didn't wake up one day and decide he wanted to throw a puppy off 3 stories to watch it splat on the ground. He got angry and did something he regretted. Considering the article said nothing of past offenses related to the charge, I'd assume it's not a very serious issue for him, so I'd say a year of probation and anger management should suffice.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 01:08:21 am »
For a human, that would be Murder 2.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 01:19:12 am »
It'd probably be manslaughter

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 04:05:21 am »
Under the circumstances, I think it'd be a lot closer to homicide.
Murder is generally distinguished from other forms of homicide by the elements of malice, aforethought, and the lack of justification.
In certain cases, homicide isn't even a crime.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 11:07:52 am »
Homicide isn't a crime...it's just the title for killing a dude.

ANYHOW

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:52 pm »
Homicide isn't a crime...it's just the title for killing a dude.

ANYHOW
I guess I meant a justifiable homicide by means of it being a crime of passion.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 01:27:20 pm »
Maybe if the puppy raped the girl...lol

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 01:54:37 pm »
But to look at an equivalent scenario, what if he'd thrown a baby out a window? Would it be considered a "crime of passion", and would people be complaining that the 3-year sentence is too long?

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 03:21:32 pm »
Maybe if the puppy raped the girl...lol
The idea of a crime of passion, in which death results in the "heat of the moment," is now considered a part of the defense of "provocation" against a charge of murder. This recognizes that all individuals may suddenly and unexpectedly lose control when words are spoken or events occur

But to look at an equivalent scenario, what if he'd thrown a baby out a window? Would it be considered a "crime of passion", and would people be complaining that the 3-year sentence is too long?

Considering puppies have neither the ambitious potentials nor life expectancy a baby does, it's not equivalent. You can think of it as comparing the death of a retired 60 year old man who has 20 years left to live and the death of a newborn baby. Life is life, and preserving it in any case is an important issue, but to consider it as an equivalent to a baby is to take it to another extreme.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 04:00:26 pm by Metal Militia »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2007, 04:38:26 pm »
Considering puppies have neither the ambitious potentials nor life expectancy a baby does, it's not equivalent. You can think of it as comparing the death of a retired 60 year old man who has 20 years left to live and the death of a newborn baby. Life is life, and preserving it in any case is an important issue, but to consider it as an equivalent to a baby is to take it to another extreme.
I don't think that ambition or potentials should have any affect on how somebody is punished for a crime. I think that every life is more or less equally important, whether or not they expect a long life.

When you murder somebody, do they look at how much longer the person expected to live? Is there a shorter sentence for murdering a smoker or a fat person?

I agree that preserving life is important, but I'm trying to raise the point -- if this was a baby, the guy would probably have gotten life in prison (minimum 10 years, I bet), whereas people are upset about getting 3 years for a dog. I don't see why killing an animal (any reasonable animal) should be any less than a human. Sure, they won't change the world, but neither do most people. I've decided that, from a utilitarian point of view, an animal losing his/her life is as bad for the animal as a human losing his/her life is for a human.

It's really a matter of opinion, though. :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2007, 11:56:19 pm »
I don't see why killing an animal (any reasonable animal) should be any less than a human. Sure, they won't change the world, but neither do most people.

A dog, being man's best friend, should warrant a much harsher penalty. Life in prison + your family gets mauled by pitbulls.

I find compassion for assholes killing dogs and such. I do not find any compassion behind murders between people. The people are much more capable of defending themselves than a dog is.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 02:22:12 am »
I don't see why killing an animal (any reasonable animal) should be any less than a human. Sure, they won't change the world, but neither do most people.

A dog, being man's best friend, should warrant a much harsher penalty. Life in prison + your family gets mauled by pitbulls.

I find compassion for assholes killing dogs and such. I do not find any compassion behind murders between people. The people are much more capable of defending themselves than a dog is.
I don't think that any single part of that post actually makes sense...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2007, 02:23:17 am »
I find compassion for the dog being killed. I do not find any sympathy or compassion for a murder between two people. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.