Author Topic: Desert Bus for Hope  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Desert Bus for Hope
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:25:27 pm »
Well, to sum this up I've written this little paragraph.

Once upon a time Penn and Teller made a Sega game that was never released called Smoke and Mirrors.  This game contained a mini-game called "Desert Bus".  The idea behind the game is you're a bus driver going from Tuscan, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada.  It takes about 8 hours in real life to do this leg, and to be realistic, the game also takes 8 hours to go from Tuscan to Las Vegas in real-time.  You have to play for 8 hours straight since there is no pause system.  The Bus also slants slightly to the right so it is impossible to just tape down buttons and complete the leg.  After you complete the 8 hour leg you are offered 1 single point, and the game will then ask you if you'd like to drive back, another 8 hour feat.  Should you at one point go off the road you crash, and a tow truck takes you back to where you came from in 80% real-time.  So if you're driving for four hours and you crash, it takes you 3.2 hours to go back to where you started.  Also, when you crash your score resets to 0.  As you can tell, this game is horrible to play and is quite the opposite of fun.

Now for the cool part, some people decided it would be a very good idea to play this game for charity, the more people donated, the longer they would play.  Their original goal was to raise $5,000, all of which is donated to children's hospitals for entertainment for sick children.  In the end, people donated $22,805.~ .   Of which I donated $4.  You could watch them play from 2 different cameras, one on the television screen so you could watch the exciting scene of nothingness in the desert, or watch the room full of the people playing the single-player game.  Each person took 7 4 hour shifts, except for the last person who only had to do 6 4 hours and 1 1 hour.  They sang songs for cash, and did a whole bunch of other fun things for 4 days 12 hours straight, without stopping.

Overall, this was a neat idea and was a fun watch for the past couple days.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Desert Bus for Hope
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 06:53:52 pm »
I wonder how long till they release the Saskatchewan version...