Author Topic: Letter to prof asking for removal of test dates, thoughts?  (Read 7057 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Letter to prof asking for removal of test dates, thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 03:30:54 am »
My online Master's program (http://www.asuengineeringonline.com/online/?page=online_meng_se) requires that if I take online courses I need to designate a proctor to be approved by the university.  Furthermore, all of the course material is identical to the in-class stuff - the class I'm currently enrolled in videorecords lectures and presents all the material through the CPD website (see link for "CPD").
I can understand the whole proctor thing, but with CrAz3D's university, it sounds as if they don't have anything to prevent cheating. That's the only reason I was wondering.
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 09:41:06 am »
The course still lasts as long as the semester lasts (actually, it is a mini-semester class so it is the last half of the fall).

The concept of online courses is so that you can work in your free time, that is why he wrote "at your own pace" in the syllabus.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 09:46:55 am »
My online Master's program (http://www.asuengineeringonline.com/online/?page=online_meng_se) requires that if I take online courses I need to designate a proctor to be approved by the university.  Furthermore, all of the course material is identical to the in-class stuff - the class I'm currently enrolled in videorecords lectures and presents all the material through the CPD website (see link for "CPD").
I can understand the whole proctor thing, but with CrAz3D's university, it sounds as if they don't have anything to prevent cheating. That's the only reason I was wondering.
Well, it would be like having an open-book or take-home exam -- they should prevent cheating not by requiring memorization of facts that could be looked up, but by asking for inspection and depth.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 03:59:33 pm »
I'm curious as to how a college can justify giving credit for a completely online class. I can see online quizzes or homework (which account for a small portion of the grade), but I can't see exams where the only thing stopping someone from cheating a double click to open up a new browser window. Shouldn't there at least be something that tests your knowledge of the material and not your ability to search for something on Google?

My mom does that. Lol.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 04:25:49 pm »
Here's the way I see it-

If the course wasn't an online course, and the professor gave you a 48-hour period during which you could come in to take a sit-down test, it'd be absurd to ask that period to be extended. I don't see why it should be any different for an online test.

If there are exceptional circumstances for why you cant take the test in any given 48-hour period, I'm sure your professor will accommodate you, but doesn't appear to be the case.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 04:55:32 pm »
I'm not saying I can't, I'm saying that based on what he wrote in the syllabus and previous online course experience and info from friends...this is generally not how this course operates.

I took it under the impression of my past experience and my friends' experience (with this same course & prof in fact).  That's why I'm asking for the modification in test dates.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Prof replied
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 05:47:18 pm »
Hi Tyler,

I empathize with your plight and I have given your request due deliberation and careful
consideration.

Therefore, I have decided to "relax" the deadlines so as to make completion and
submission of the exams more "student friendly" while still retaining some control over
the deadlines in an effort to ensure that people do not fall helplessly behind schedule.

I believe you will find the adjustments to be fair and equatable. Hopefully, the students in
the course will take full advantage of the opportunity I proffer them and subsequently, I
expect them (as well as you) to perform much better in our  forthcoming examinations.

Study hard and good luck!

Cheers, John. 

Rock on!
He openned all of the tests so that I can complete as many as I want whenever I want but removed all start dates.  I am currently able to take all of the exams at once, if I so wish.
Score.
Just gotta outline these chapters so I do better (like WAY better) than I did on my last exam.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Prof replied
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 07:07:51 pm »
Hopefully, the students in
the course will take full advantage of the opportunity I proffer them and subsequently, I
expect them (as well as you) to perform much better in our  forthcoming examinations.m.

Good luck. The bar has been raised!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 09:08:39 pm »
It'd be interesting to see whether or not the change actually influences people that much. I'm betting that it's not going to make much of a difference; the students are still going to put off taking the exam until they can't avoid it any longer.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 10:34:10 pm »
Hopefully, the students in
expect them (as well as you) to perform much better in our  forthcoming examinations.m.
Good luck. The bar has been raised!
No it hasn't.

It'd be interesting to see whether or not the change actually influences people that much. I'm betting that it's not going to make much of a difference; the students are still going to put off taking the exam until they can't avoid it any longer.
He left the deadlines, just removed the start dates

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 11:10:15 am »
And I disagreed where? I just said that people aren't going to take the exam until the deadline anyway.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 01:41:13 pm »
And I disagreed where? I just said that people aren't going to take the exam until the deadline anyway.
I thought you meant that the students will put it off until the end of the semester...oops.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2007, 01:47:04 pm »
His solution sounds pretty reasonable. Congrats.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!