Author Topic: Dataloss Bug in Leopard  (Read 5641 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Dataloss Bug in Leopard
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:25:21 am »
http://tomkarpik.com/articles/massive-data-loss-bug-in-leopard/

"Leopard’s Finder has a glaring bug in its directory-moving code, leading to horrendous data loss if a destination volume disappears while a move operation is in action. I first came across it when Samba crashed while I was moving a directory from my desktop over to a Samba mount on my FreeBSD server.

I’ve now run tests on a Windows XP SP2 SMB mount, as well as a local HFS+ formatted USB drive, and the bug surfaces every time the destination disappears while the Finder is moving something to the destination."

In short, upon any condition that a Move operation fails the source directory is still deleted. This source dir should only be deleted if the transfer to the destination did not fail.

The bug has existed since Panther, I guess it blows any sort of "Microsoft is late to fixing bugs" complaints right into hypocrisy.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Dataloss Bug in Leopard
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:36:03 am »
There was a windows update for Windows 2000 that created a data-loss bug.  If a hard drive was using compression and was accessed, it would lose data every time something was saved, IIRC.  :P

This is still a pretty serious bug.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:43:33 am »
According to my friend, "it only happens if you have a file that's over the size of 500 MB".

That still sucks, but at least it's well known (he knew about it before I sent him the link).

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:58:51 am »
Test file in the article is 384MB. Seems any operation that takes over 10 seconds, so it may very well depend on hardware though
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:02:03 am »
That still sucks, but at least it's well known (he knew about it before I sent him the link).

I don't see this as a plus. At all. The fact that it's been known for now two point releases is astounding. It's a severe bug, which can result in data-loss. The fact that this even got out of QA is amazing.

I'm sure if this were happening to Vista, the entire internet would be apeshit demanding a fix. It happens to OSX and people learn to live with it..

Seems Apple focused more on making Finder pretty, as opposed to fixing a glaring bug which has been present since Panther. But hey, at least they have the iPhone.

Offline chuck

• Canadian Biathlete
    • View Profile
    • Chucks Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:05 am »
At least its a bug, and not a feature. ;)
Chucks Blog
JavaOp2 Plugins

Error, keyboard not connected. Press F1 to continue.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 10:33:43 am »

I don't see this as a plus. At all. The fact that it's been known for now two point releases is astounding. It's a severe bug, which can result in data-loss. The fact that this even got out of QA is amazing.

I'm sure if this were happening to Vista, the entire internet would be apeshit demanding a fix. It happens to OSX and people learn to live with it..

Seems Apple focused more on making Finder pretty, as opposed to fixing a glaring bug which has been present since Panther. But hey, at least they have the iPhone.

How is it being well known not good for the user? :P

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:37:15 am »

How is it being well known not good for the user? :P

Ah, I thought you meant at Apple.
I think that while it's good the users know of the bug, it's obvious not enough really know since it's cropping up again. It's a very dangerous bug, which is pretty easy to reproduce.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:54:49 am »
Ugh, more microsoft v apple. Same shit different platform. Buy whichever turd you perfer.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 11:58:48 am »
Ugh, more microsoft v apple. Same shit different platform. Buy whichever turd you perfer.

What exactly do you want them to do? Hold hands? This is competition, and the consumer deserves the right to inquire about the quality of the product he/she is buying.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 12:38:32 pm »
War, stop being such a bleeting fanboy.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 12:57:25 pm »
War, stop being such a bleeting fanboy.

I'm pointing out flaws in a flawed system, while at the same time asking others to try to justify the fact that such a critical bug was ignored.

I will admit, I'm having fun.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »

What exactly do you want them to do? Hold hands? This is competition, and the consumer deserves the right to inquire about the quality of the product he/she is buying.

If they worked together, they'd both have a better product. But they don't, so they both have worse products than otherwise.

That's why competition (and, hence, capitalism) sucks. :)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 01:04:23 pm »
Do you think that your little tank notebook would exist if not for competition? :P
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 01:05:48 pm »

If they worked together, they'd both have a better product. But they don't, so they both have worse products than otherwise.

That's why competition (and, hence, capitalism) sucks. :)

What happens when the one unified company achieves complete domination of the market? There is no incentive to deliver a better product, innovation is stagnated.