Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Downtime this weekend

<< < (6/10) > >>

Killer360:

--- Quote from: chuck on November 18, 2007, 12:23:06 pm ---
--- Quote from: iago on November 18, 2007, 09:47:49 am ---I got Shaw's medium-speed connection. I didn't think that the Extreme one was worth the ridiculous price.

The one thing I don't like about Shaw is that they have a bandwidth cap, whereas MTS doesn't.

--- End quote ---
Did you get a residential connection? If so you may want to look at their AUP...

--- Quote ---The residential Shaw Services are designed for personal Internet use. You may not use the residential Shaw Services for commercial purposes. You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include, but are not limited to, mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums. Some business services may be exempt from these limitations.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
That's bullshit. You can still easily host an HTTP server with them.

A person I know, who has hosted an HTTP server on his residential shaw connection for approximately 3 or 4 years has never had any problems.

--- Quote from: Hitmen on November 18, 2007, 12:16:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: Killer360 on November 18, 2007, 09:33:00 am ---Also, I believe iago went with the highspeed connection, which is 5MB. MTS's highspeed is only 3MB. The highest MTS offers is 5MB.  ;) And that's something like $60/m and that's what I'm forced to be using now.

--- End quote ---
Wow, I thought the US had it rough when it came to broadband, and you guys live in a city....

--- End quote ---
Yes, Canada does have shitty broadband. My school, which has hundreds of computers in it, only has a shitty 7MB connection cause that's the highest MTS offers (even for businesses).

I'm pretty close to that right now..

So I'm OK. But many other people who are paying normal prices aren't. ;)

iago:

--- Quote from: iago on November 18, 2007, 09:47:49 am ---I got Shaw's medium-speed connection. I didn't think that the Extreme one was worth the ridiculous price.

The one thing I don't like about Shaw is that they have a bandwidth cap, whereas MTS doesn't.

--- End quote ---
Did you get a residential connection? If so you may want to look at their AUP...

--- Quote ---The residential Shaw Services are designed for personal Internet use. You may not use the residential Shaw Services for commercial purposes. You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include, but are not limited to, mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums. Some business services may be exempt from these limitations.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I'm aware, MTS has similar restrictions. If Shaw wants to complain about it, I'll just change to MTS. If MTS complains, I'll find another ISP (there's one other here, a long-range wireless one, I forget what they're called).

Skywing:
Very poor performance at ~1p central time today.  However, doesn't look like a net problem for me right now, last responding hop is reasonable (<100ms).  Perhaps the box is/was just loaded?

iago:
It's possible. It's also a shared line (being cable), so maybe there was a spike of people checking the weather (just started getting blizzard-like conditions) :)

Killer360:

--- Quote from: iago on November 18, 2007, 01:51:49 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I'm aware, MTS has similar restrictions. If Shaw wants to complain about it, I'll just change to MTS. If MTS complains, I'll find another ISP (there's one other here, a long-range wireless one, I forget what they're called).

--- End quote ---
There are two actually.

WiBand - The one you're most likely referring to.
3web - A Shaw reseller, I believe. They sell cheap though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version