Author Topic: Airport screeners missed bomb parts  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Airport screeners missed bomb parts
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:35:29 pm »
WASHINGTON - Government investigators smuggled liquid explosives and detonators past airport security, exposing a dangerous hole in the nation's ability to keep these forbidden items off of airplanes, according to a report made public Wednesday.

The investigators learned about the components to make an improvised explosive device and an improvised incendiary device on the Internet and purchased the parts at local stores, said the report by the Government Accountability Office. Investigators were able to purchase the components for the two devices for under $150, and they studied the published guidelines for screening to determine how to conceal the prohibited items as they went through checkpoint security.

At the end of the testing, investigators concluded that terrorists could use publicly available information and a few cheaply available supplies to damage an airplane and threaten passenger safety.

"It is possible to bring the components for several IEDs and one IID through TSA checkpoints and onto airline flights without being challenged by transportation security officers," said the GAO, Congress' investigative arm.

The covert tests were conducted at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints at 19 airports in March, May and June of this year. The GAO did not identify the airports.

In August 2006, the TSA changed its screening policies after officials foiled a plot to use liquid explosives to blow up commercial airlines headed toward the U.S.

TSA spokeswoman Ellen Howe said the exercise tested only one of the agency's 19 layers of security and therefore doesn't mean the overall system is unsafe.

"While people think about us in terms of the checkpoints and they see us as the checkpoints, there's a lot more layers of security," she said. In addition to the checkpoints, the TSA uses different technologies and has officials who check the validity of documents and observe people's behaviors throughout the airport. "Just because somebody gets through one layer doesn't mean they're going to get through all of the layers."

The report released Wednesday is a version of a classified report with sensitive information left out. The report notes that the covert operations were intended to test only security at checkpoints and not all of the TSA's security layers.

The report listed several instances in which investigators were able to make it through security checkpoints while carrying prohibited items:

• On March 23, a TSA screener would not let one investigator through a checkpoint with a small, unlabeled bottle of shampoo, even though it was a legitimate carry-on item. But the same investigator was able to bring through a liquid component of bomb that would start a fire.

• On May 8, an investigator placed coins in his pockets to ensure he would receive a secondary screening at the checkpoint. But after doing a pat-down and using an electronic hand wand, the screener was not able to catch the prohibited items the investigator brought through the checkpoint.

The TSA agreed with the investigators' recommendation to introduce "more aggressive, visible and unpredictable security measures," as well as the recommendation to deploy new detection technologies.

Code: [Select]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/airport_security;_ylt=Aht6ugnNHAnQ6mkOdjfzSXas0NUE

My brother works for Aero Guard, a Canadian provider for air passenger and baggage screening. I'll have to show him this article...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:37:03 pm by Killer360 »

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: Airport screeners missed bomb parts
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47:15 pm »
Nothing new here, airport security always sucked.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 08:42:47 am »
And how would you know this? Would you prefer if there was no screening at all?

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:30 am »
Never said I would. They've done several tests like this over the years, results always came back the same.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:05:59 am »
• On May 8, an investigator placed coins in his pockets to ensure he would receive a secondary screening at the checkpoint. But after doing a pat-down and using an electronic hand wand, the screener was not able to catch the prohibited items the investigator brought through the checkpoint.
I'm curious where he hid it. :-o!

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:17:41 pm »
Never said I would. They've done several tests like this over the years, results always came back the same.
Airport security doesn't suck. I think they do a good job.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 01:57:52 pm »
Airport security doesn't suck. I think they do a good job.
Then why do they take my bottled water away, yet fail to detect bomb parts?

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:16:52 pm »
Because they want you to buy a new drink once you're inside. Duh!
errr... something like that...

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:22:07 pm »
If you want to smuggle drugs on to a plane, put them in your pockets :P

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 06:58:34 pm »
If you want to smuggle drugs on to a plane, put them in your pockets :P
That might not be so easy when crossing the border, though. But I don't really see what that has to do with anything, since this is about weapons?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 07:55:52 pm »
I agree with Ergot. Seriously, airport security is such a pain in the ass and yields such crappy results.. I was watching The Today Show last week and there was a story about how, even when TSA officials at certain airports were ALERTED that there would be screeners coming and given their data, they still missed the bombs and screeners.  Fail at life much?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 03:41:40 am »
I agree with Ergot. Seriously, airport security is such a pain in the ass and yields such crappy results.. I was watching The Today Show last week and there was a story about how, even when TSA officials at certain airports were ALERTED that there would be screeners coming and given their data, they still missed the bombs and screeners.  Fail at life much?

You're right, they do fail at life. They're only trying to do the impossible.

The clear solution here is to just make everyone strip naked before going into secure areas, and with no carry on items. The expensive ass metal detectors and x-ray machines can be replaced with boxes of latex gloves so that the security personal can conduct cavity searches.

Oh, and you have to take a polygraph test before you get to this point. So that they can you know ask you if you plan to fly the plane into a building...
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 04:07:48 am »
Woo, another excuse to sacrifice freedom for security! Go authoritarianism! :-\
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 06:38:51 am »
You're right, they do fail at life. They're only trying to do the impossible.
Oh yes, because it's SOOOOOOO impossible to identify someone when provided an accurate description of what they will be wearing, what they look like, and what they will be carrying.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-screeners15nov15,1,924774.story?coll=la-headlines-nation&track=crosspromo
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:42:20 am by deadly7 »
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile