Author Topic: Superbad  (Read 7110 times)

trust

Re: Superbad
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 12:11:09 pm »
i didnt think this movie was all that good.. i may have to watch it a second time.

I think you have a vag.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 08:29:56 pm »
i didnt think this movie was all that good.. i may have to watch it a second time.

I think you have a vag.

well the movie really didnt have a story line...( i thought) but i have to admit it was really funny. especially when the fat guy danced with the chick and got perioded on

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 08:33:46 pm »
well the movie really didnt have a story line...( i thought) but i have to admit it was really funny. especially when the fat guy danced with the chick and got perioded on

It had as deep a storyline as any movie in its class; it was meant to be funny, not compelling or intellectually stimulating.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 07:57:27 pm »
Best fucking move EVER. I was laughing every fucking minute of it. I saw it last night with some friends, and then saw it AGAIN today with another friend who has also already seen it. This is by far my favorite movie.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 11:33:51 pm »
Best fucking move EVER. I was laughing every fucking minute of it. I saw it last night with some friends, and then saw it AGAIN today with another friend who has also already seen it. This is by far my favorite movie.
Agreed.  This mad pwns

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 01:20:34 pm »
So, I'm rather late, but I just watched the movie last night. I sort of have mixed feelings about it, but it's definitely not the best or funniest movie I've seen. I loved the American Pie movies and a lot of other movies of that class, so I figured I'd like this one, but not so much.

Another problem I had was the acting, none of the kids did an especially good job, especially Evan. Like I said earlier in the thread, he did a good job in Arrested Development, but in this movie he was stiff like a board. Maybe it's the character that he's supposed to be really unexpressive, but I wasn't impressed. The cops and that other kid, on the other hand, did a good job.

One interesting feature was the film quality: it was filmed in old fashioned looking colours. I doubt that was due to a money thing, more like a style choice, making it look like a 70s or 80s teen movie. That part, I did like. It's an interesting style choice that I can respect.

The story, overall, was pretty good. I mean, there was no deep or intricate plot, but it's fairly rare for a modern movie to have one of those. I did, however, enjoy the characters having all the problems.

Overall, I think the movie was average. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Sorry I'm a few months late, but it just came out on DVD. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 01:33:20 pm »
So, I'm rather late, but I just watched the movie last night. I sort of have mixed feelings about it, but it's definitely not the best or funniest movie I've seen. I loved the American Pie movies and a lot of other movies of that class, so I figured I'd like this one, but not so much.

Another problem I had was the acting, none of the kids did an especially good job, especially Evan. Like I said earlier in the thread, he did a good job in Arrested Development, but in this movie he was stiff like a board. Maybe it's the character that he's supposed to be really unexpressive, but I wasn't impressed. The cops and that other kid, on the other hand, did a good job.

One interesting feature was the film quality: it was filmed in old fashioned looking colours. I doubt that was due to a money thing, more like a style choice, making it look like a 70s or 80s teen movie. That part, I did like. It's an interesting style choice that I can respect.

The story, overall, was pretty good. I mean, there was no deep or intricate plot, but it's fairly rare for a modern movie to have one of those. I did, however, enjoy the characters having all the problems.

It's interesting that you liked American Pie and not this one.  Like you were getting at, I suppose maybe it has something to do with the lack of a plot in Superbad?  To be honest, I don't really care about much the plot in these types of movies; as long as the events have a reasonable flow to them, it almost goes unnoticed with me.  It's definitely designed to be a "laugh a minute" movie.

As a final remark, though, I can't think of a single person in my age group (five years either way) that I've talked to that hasn't loved this movie.  I've recommended it to everyone from super nerds to my good friend in the Navy.  They all said it was one of their all time favorite comedies.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 01:38:03 pm »
I think iago fell victim to what I fell victim to: super high expectations. Everyone said this was the greatest movie known to man. It wasn't that great. It was funny, but I got sick of watching it after three times or so.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 01:40:25 pm »
I think iago fell victim to what I fell victim to: super high expectations. Everyone said this was the greatest movie known to man. It wasn't that great. It was funny, but I got sick of watching it after three times or so.

I've still only seen it once.

trust

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 03:02:56 pm »
Movies like this don't stay funny after you know the jokes. Same with Borat, it was hilarious in the theater but not so much after I bought the DVD.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 03:35:02 pm »

I felt that "Evan" was just supposed to be the really awkward character (much like his arrested development role).  I related to him most definitely.
McLovin' was funny.  I also see the fat kid relation and know people who were like that

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 12:29:02 am »
I didn't have super high expectations, but I also don't find penis jokes funny.

I've been asking people what they think of it today, and nobody I've talked to in real life has liked it a lot. Maybe it's a geographical thing? Were there a lot of in-American jokes? :)

I think another thing is that the commercials/trailors ruined the movie for me (much like they ruined Borat). Going into both movies, I had a pretty good idea what most of the jokes were going to be. :(

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 12:36:34 am »
The penis drawing stuff was over the top...but funny ish the first time through

trust

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:09 pm »

I've been asking people what they think of it today, and nobody I've talked to in real life has liked it a lot. Maybe it's a geographical thing? Were there a lot of in-American jokes? :)

I think another thing is that the commercials/trailors ruined the movie for me (much like they ruined Borat). Going into both movies, I had a pretty good idea what most of the jokes were going to be. :(

Americans must just be more immature than Canadians.
...or maybe because you're asking adults and this was made for teens? I don't know, I found it hilarious the first time through. It was funny the 2nd, but not as much.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 12:43:37 pm »

Americans must just be more immature than Canadians.
...or maybe because you're asking adults and this was made for teens? I don't know, I found it hilarious the first time through. It was funny the 2nd, but not as much.

Nope, didn't ask any adults. Well, age-wise I suppose we're adults, but I don't think we really count as such. :)