Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Speed this morning

<< < (4/5) > >>

Joe:

--- Quote from: igimo on December 13, 2007, 11:31:26 pm ---
--- Quote from: Joe[ix86] on December 13, 2007, 08:18:00 pm ---
--- Quote from: Chavo on December 13, 2007, 06:30:03 pm ---I'm sorry, I was referring to Joe.  I don't know why SMF didn't warn me like it usually does when there is a new reply.

--- End quote ---

I've taken physical science and learned that electricity will take the shortest path. And if that means jumping through water and reversing back before the signal gets anywhere, that's what it'll do. Where am I wrong?

--- End quote ---

Lol  :o

--- End quote ---

Thanks! That post was totally informative!

iago:

--- Quote from: Chavo on December 13, 2007, 11:07:48 pm ---The path of least resistance defines the shortest path.  Since rain water is relatively pure, it has very high resistance in comparison with the (usually) copper wire.  Therefore it only introduces some extra resistance rather than completely shorting the signal.  This usually alters the frequency of the analog signal slightly (distortion) which can cause corrupted data when it is converted/extrapolated to the digital portion that a cable modem listens to.  Corrupted data is dropped.  Dropped packets yield slowdowns in a variety of ways.

--- End quote ---
However, when ice is about, they put salt on the roads to melt it. So it's not pure water, it's salt water, which can be a relatively good conductor. :)

Chavo:
Water on the line usually exists at the connections in the cable box, which shouldn't be anywhere near a salted road.

iago:

--- Quote from: Chavo on December 14, 2007, 09:35:20 am ---Water on the line usually exists at the connections in the cable box, which shouldn't be anywhere near a salted road.

--- End quote ---

Ah, I was thinking underground cabling.

MyndFyre:
SOOOOOOO SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW ALLLLLLL THE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMME!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version