Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Speed this morning

<< < (2/5) > >>

Chavo:
I think you need to take physics.

iago:

--- Quote from: Metal Militia on December 13, 2007, 03:43:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: Chavo on December 13, 2007, 03:17:45 pm ---Cable seems to be affected by the weather more often around here as well.  As far as the technology goes there isn't any reason that I know of that this should be true so perhaps telcos that have had their lines in the ground longer have done a better job of weatherproofing.  Meh, if there is water on the line it should be easy to find and protect.

--- End quote ---
iago's not blaming it one the weather itself, yet the fact that people are more apt to check weather forecasts in times of bad weather. I can't remember exactly why this is true, but IIRC, the same cable line is spread out across an area and it's a shared pool, while DSL is a single line dedicated to you.

--- End quote ---
From what I understand, that's more or less the case. Even in practice, I've found that at times of high internet usage (dinner time, after bad weather, etc.), my cable lines slows down significantly, whereas my DSL line would stay reasonably fast (depending on the sites I'm visiting). It may be because less people in my area are on DSL or because cable lines are shared more, I'm not entirely sure, I just know that it's almost certainly the case.

Armin:

--- Quote from: Chavo on December 13, 2007, 03:44:44 pm ---I think you need to take physics.

--- End quote ---
I never said you were wrong, I was only pointing out that you and iago did not share the same beliefs as to why a cable line is slow in times of bad weather. I could leave you with an insulting line, such as, "I think you need to make less assumptions," but that's all it is, an insulting line that most likely isn't accurate.

Chavo:
I'm sorry, I was referring to Joe.  I don't know why SMF didn't warn me like it usually does when there is a new reply.

iago:

--- Quote from: Chavo on December 13, 2007, 06:30:03 pm ---I'm sorry, I was referring to Joe.  I don't know why SMF didn't warn me like it usually does when there is a new reply.

--- End quote ---
There's a reason I quote people, even when it's the bottom post. Helps avoid misunderstandings. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version