Author Topic: Winnipeg man killed by police...  (Read 3951 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Winnipeg man killed by police...
« on: December 21, 2007, 06:52:24 pm »
... and I knew him quite well:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2007/12/18/police-shooting.html
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2007/11/27/4689276-cp.html

I used to work with his wife, and we're pretty good friends. I left that job over 6 years ago, but I've kept in touch with her. And I knew him pretty well, too, since they were often together when I saw them.

I know he's a security guard and recently (a year or so ago?) was given a license to carry a concealed weapon. I remember joking with a friend at the time about who he'd shoot, since he's always had a short temper.

Still, unbelievable.... :-o!

But at the same time, lol @: "I went out to the balcony to check, see what was going on, and there was a guy laying on the ground and one of the cops was giving CPR, like, to his chest."

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Winnipeg man killed by police...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »
"All I heard was some yelling," he said. "I heard, somebody said, 'F---ing shoot me already!' and then I heard four shots, and everything was kind of quiet after that."

Obviously disturbed for some reason :(.  too bad

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:19:02 pm »
Sounds fishy to me.... but on a note related to iago, I'm sorry.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:27:50 pm »
"All I heard was some yelling," he said. "I heard, somebody said, 'F---ing shoot me already!' and then I heard four shots, and everything was kind of quiet after that."

He was in the army for like 20 years, and from what I understand he may have had some post traumatic stress problems.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:30:10 pm »

He was in the army for like 20 years, and from what I understand he may have had some post traumatic stress problems.
Bell was "never deployed on operations overseas," Brown said

Probably not :-\

But still, yeah, my condolences

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 07:51:24 pm »
Really iago? My brother lives in that area and he was woken up by the gun shots. Scary stuff.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:25 pm »

Bell was "never deployed on operations overseas," Brown said

Probably not :-\

But still, yeah, my condolences

Well, from his wife's best friend (and a close friend of mine), "He had mental health issues (post traumatic stress disorder) from the military and was not in his right mind, but the police did the right thing." -- I wondered about that too, though. I don't know, maybe something else happened? I know the guy was pretty crazy, though, so who knows?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 12:56:05 am »
Whoa, really weird.  I couldn't imagine any scenario that could happen at home that would cause PTSD

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:11:13 am »
Whoa, really weird.  I couldn't imagine any scenario that could happen at home that would cause PTSD
I'm sure there are a lot, horrible things can happen at home, albeit more difficult.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 02:39:37 pm »
It was his own fault anyways. I have no sympathy what-so-ever.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 09:21:57 pm »
As I said elsewhere in the thread, he was mentally unstable. You don't tell an old person it's their own fault when they fall and break a hip, which is essentially the situation here. It also helps when you know him and his family personally...

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 09:45:10 pm »
As I said elsewhere in the thread, he was mentally unstable. You don't tell an old person it's their own fault when they fall and break a hip, which is essentially the situation here. It also helps when you know him and his family personally...
Mentally unstable and threatening to kill someone at 11 PM? Where the hell was his wife? He was asking for it either way.

You can't blame his disabilities for his actions in this case.

If he was a security guard you'd think he would have known better, right?  ::)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:49:55 pm by Killer360 »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 09:52:41 pm »
Mentally unstable and threatening to kill someone at 11 PM? Where the hell was his wife? He was asking for it either way.

Regarding where his wife was, he was likely on duty (he was killed in the area he works in).

And when somebody goes crazy with a weapon, I think that it's quite reasonable to say that it was because of having a disability that causes people to become disoriented and displaced and to think that something completely different is happening.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 09:57:20 pm »

Regarding where his wife was, he was likely on duty (he was killed in the area he works in).

And when somebody goes crazy with a weapon, I think that it's quite reasonable to say that it was because of having a disability that causes people to become disoriented and displaced and to think that something completely different is happening.
What about the threatening to kill someone part? Does a disability make you do that too?

If this guy had a disability that large, how on earth could have have become a security guard?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 10:13:14 pm »
What about the threatening to kill someone part? Does a disability make you do that too?

If this guy had a disability that large, how on earth could have have become a security guard?
Yes, that particular disorder can. It causes things like flashbacks and confusion, and who knows what he thought was going on?

Don't ask me. I have no idea how he became a security guard, but I do remember him failing the psych test for getting a concealed weapon the first time around...

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 10:51:24 pm »

Yes, that particular disorder can. It causes things like flashbacks and confusion, and who knows what he thought was going on?

Don't ask me. I have no idea how he became a security guard, but I do remember him failing the psych test for getting a concealed weapon the first time around...
Nowhere in those two articles state that he had a disability, knowing the CBC don't you think that would be the first thing stated?  :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 11:02:42 pm »

Nowhere in those two articles state that he had a disability, knowing the CBC don't you think that would be the first thing stated?  :P
No, they didn't. But as I said in the first posts here, I'm close friends with the family, so I know more than what they say in the news.