Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 10678 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Hunting
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:20:01 pm »
CrAz3d, are you getting that gun for hunting animals?

trust

Re: Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 05:24:11 pm »

My school allows rifles. I don't see why it's a problem... (but that's for a different thread)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 06:28:32 pm »

My school allows rifles. I don't see why it's a problem... (but that's for a different thread)

Your point, and how your post relates to Ender's question, isn't very clear.

trust

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

Your point, and how your post relates to Ender's question, isn't very clear.

Originally the post said something along the lines of: "Your getting a gun to keep on a college campus?" or something of that nature. Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 08:40:16 pm »
Rifle, yes; 9mm, no...well, maybe. 
I can go crazy on coyotes with the 9mm, a nice .22 rifle would be fun for that, too. 

After tomorrow's trip I'll have my .22 revolver (I want to make new grips for it, I'd need a nice chisel and some HARD wood and good templates), a rifle, maybe a S&W 9mm, and a (hopefully) working gun safe

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 10:08:32 pm »
I can go crazy on coyotes with the 9mm, a nice .22 rifle would be fun for that, too. 

Don't you think it's in bad spirits to terrorize and kill intelligent animals just for amusement? 

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 10:33:15 pm »
It's also plain stupid to store a gun on a college campus. It doesn't improve your safety; it does the opposite. And, as stated, hunting for amusement is evil. Since hunting and safety are ruled out as motivations, there's no good reason to having a gun on campus.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 12:49:37 am »
Don't you think it's in bad spirits to terrorize and kill intelligent animals just for amusement? 
Coyote shooting is encouraged in most places.  Sometimes you even money if you bring in their ears, not sure if my county is (still?) like that.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 01:24:29 am »
Coyote shooting is encouraged in most places.  Sometimes you even money if you bring in their ears, not sure if my county is (still?) like that.
WTF?  You should be banned.  Go to Old Mexico for that.  Stay out of the new one.

And, as stated, hunting for amusement is evil.
While I would tend to agree, stating it in one post does not qualify as establishing fact.  Particularly if you cite it in the post immediately following the initial statement. :P
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 01:46:44 am »
Damn mormons.  ^^
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 01:49:56 am »
Damn mormons.  ^^
http://wolfsaga.blogspot.com/2006/10/utah-offers-bounty-for-dead-coyote.html
Page 6, under the title "Rabbits and other non-game species"

"Residents are not required to have a hunting license to take rabbits or other nongame species.
Common nongame species include coyotes, skunks, rabbits, and rock squirrels."

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 02:27:43 am »
Damn mormons.  ^^

"Residents are not required to have a hunting license to take rabbits or other nongame species.

You didn't really respond to my comment.  Don't you think it's in bad spirits to terrorize and kill intelligent animals just for amusement?  You would be hunting because you derive pleasure from the adrenaline and uncertainty that comes with stalking, terrorizing, and hopefully killing, an intelligent animal in an unfair game.  Otherwise you would refer to it as a "duty", and not as fun.  A reward, and the idea that you are ridding the world of a pest, serve as comforting rationalisations.  Armed with these, and without deeply considering the essence of what you're doing and why you enjoy it, I can understand how this sport is appealing.  But when you think about the striking parallels between hunting and abusive activities we -- you, I, and most others -- actively deem people mentally sick for enjoying, doesn't it turn you off?   That by the end of the day, you've scared, disrespected, and ultimately killed, a conscious, feeling, wild animal, in exchange for some short-lived adrenaline (provided you don't think too deeply about what you're doing) and a pat on the back for a job well done.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:43:41 am by Rule »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 09:51:45 am »
Damn mormons.  ^^

You didn't really respond to my comment.  Don't you think it's in bad spirits to terrorize and kill intelligent animals just for amusement?  You would be hunting because you derive pleasure from the adrenaline and uncertainty that comes with stalking, terrorizing, and hopefully killing, an intelligent animal in an unfair game.  Otherwise you would refer to it as a "duty", and not as fun.  A reward, and the idea that you are ridding the world of a pest, serve as comforting rationalisations.  Armed with these, and without deeply considering the essence of what you're doing and why you enjoy it, I can understand how this sport is appealing.  But when you think about the striking parallels between hunting and abusive activities we -- you, I, and most others -- actively deem people mentally sick for enjoying, doesn't it turn you off?   That by the end of the day, you've scared, disrespected, and ultimately killed, a conscious, feeling, wild animal, in exchange for some short-lived adrenaline (provided you don't think too deeply about what you're doing) and a pat on the back for a job well done.
Sure it'd be fun.  Sure it'd be helpful.  Sure it's ok to do.

This is definitely not something deemed "mentally sick" by most around here.  You are apart of a different culture.  We, most others and myself, mock Canadians just for their inherent suckiness, you probably disagree with that ;D.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 10:45:08 am »
Coyote shooting is encouraged in most places.  Sometimes you even money if you bring in their ears, not sure if my county is (still?) like that.
I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again: just because something is legal or encouraged by society, that doesn't mean it's right or good. You have to think for yourself and evaluate your actions based on moral criteria, not on laws.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 10:46:33 am »
My morals and culture say okey dokey to shootin' coyote.