Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 9932 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Hunting
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 06:33:49 pm »
Opinions can be wrong/right!? 

Well, veganism in your opinion is ok yeah?  Since it goes against what we've done for centuries you're wrong and should be forced to eat meat.  TA DA.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 06:41:14 pm »
Veganism isn't an opinion, it's a reasoned decision. I didn't jump into it with no thoughts, far from it. I spent a ton of time thinking about it.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 07:57:40 pm »
In your opinion it is reasonable, in my opinion you're nuts.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 08:51:02 pm »
Well, that's just proof that opinions can be incorrect. In this case, yours is.

I've made a reasoned case for my decision elsewhere.

trust

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2007, 08:53:09 pm »

You think his opinion is incorrect just because you disagree with it? I'm glad that everyone else on this forum is held to the same standards that CrAz3D and I are.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

All opinions are valid because they are not fact.  Will Smith thinks Hitler was a good person, others disagree...opinions

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2007, 09:18:32 pm »

You think his opinion is incorrect just because you disagree with it? I'm glad that everyone else on this forum is held to the same standards that CrAz3D and I are.

I'm glad to see you have a sense of humour.

All opinions are valid because they are not fact.  Will Smith thinks Hitler was a good person, others disagree...opinions
Well, Hitler was either a good person or wasn't, it's a fact, not an opinion. It's obviously a contested fact, so people hold different beliefs, but only one can be right.

If you think about it, you can say that everything that you can't prove from first principles is an opinion and people can believe anything because nobody can possibly know what's true and what isn't. But that doesn't make for very good arguments.

trust

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2007, 09:26:29 pm »
Whether or not Hitler was a good person is opinion, not fact. It's relative to one's personal beliefs and definition of "good." For instance, obviously he had many supporters during his time and did good things for the German people and economy. To us in the West (myself included), and most of Europe (most of the world) he was not a good person, but that is just our opinion. Likewise it is our opinion that Osama bin Laden is evil, yet to his supporters he is not.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 10:03:54 pm »
Whether or not Hitler was a good person is opinion, not fact. It's relative to one's personal beliefs and definition of "good." For instance, obviously he had many supporters during his time and did good things for the German people and economy. To us in the West (myself included), and most of Europe (most of the world) he was not a good person, but that is just our opinion. Likewise it is our opinion that Osama bin Laden is evil, yet to his supporters he is not.
Technically, there are more people in Asia than in the rest of the world combined (4 billion in asia, under 7 billion total), so saying "most of the world" is a little incorrect.

In any case, what you're arguing is that the definitions of "good" and "evil" are relative, which I don't think is true. There is no general agreement on the correct definition, but that just becomes arguing about semantics. For some definition of evil, Hitler is evil, and for another definition, he isn't. But that's just defining words differently.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 10:12:06 pm »
Wow, an intelligent and thoughtful post by trust the southern redneck that agrees with me about terrorizing animals?  I didn't thunk that us southern folks was capable of such thinkin'.  wowee.

This quote intrigues me:
All I really ask is that you respect each other's opinions and beliefs, and have fun doing it.  There's nothing wrong with poking fun; in fact, in the words of a good friend of mine, "It's the responsibility of any good friend to make fun of you if you do something stupid; how else are you going to know?"  At the time, we were talking about how a common friend of ours dresses (faded pants, whatever they're called, look sooo gay), but it's still a good quote. 

Respect opinions huh?  Like maybe the opinion that hunting pests is ok and maybe I shouldn't be openly ridiculed for it by being told that "I just terrorize intelligent animals"?

This applies not to this thread, but the thread about "woman" being used as a negative connotation.  I like how trust gets called out for using something such as "vagina" in a negative manner but you don't hold yourself to those same standards.  Does that seem hypocritical to you?  Sure does to me.

trust

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2007, 10:44:43 pm »
Technically, there are more people in Asia than in the rest of the world combined (4 billion in asia, under 7 billion total), so saying "most of the world" is a little incorrect.

After rereading what I said, I can see how I was unclear. What I meant was the West, Europe, and most of the world. It was just additional information, but since I placed it after Europe that implies I was talking about Europe. Sorry.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2007, 11:41:07 pm »

After rereading what I said, I can see how I was unclear. What I meant was the West, Europe, and most of the world. It was just additional information, but since I placed it after Europe that implies I was talking about Europe. Sorry.

Well, that was beside the point anyways.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2007, 01:39:42 am »
It's not like Hitler was responsible for the United States and Canadian interstate and highway systems or anything, so of course he was bad.  O, he also wasn't responsible for rocket technology either.  Or jet propulsion.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:15 am »
In my opinion, all opinions are wrong.  <-- Paradox?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2007, 02:29:45 am »
In my opinion, all opinions are wrong.  <-- Paradox?

Yep!  Almost exactly like saying "There is no truth."