Author Topic: It isn't sexist to say "You drive like a woman"  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: It isn't sexist to say "You drive like a woman"
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 12:18:36 pm »
Why am I an idiot? Is it because I like beat down low, and my top let back? Cause you can see me ridin' 24's with a chopper in the back? Cause I like my Kenwood high and your top let back? Or because my rims sit high and my windows pitch black?

buahahaha
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 01:04:46 pm »
I do, seat leaning back music bumping windows down smokin a philly. You know
You're an idiot.

Why am I an idiot? Is it because I like beat down low, and my top let back? Cause you can see me ridin' 24's with a chopper in the back? Cause I like my Kenwood high and your top let back? Or because my rims sit high and my windows pitch black?

No, you're just an idiot.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 03:54:12 pm »
No, you're just an idiot.

It takes a group of people, applies a stereotype to all of them, then demeans that group by making fun of that stereotype. That's basically the definition of racism/sexism. I think there's a strong difference between having a sense of humour and laughing at racist/sexist comments.
But it isn't demeaning unless you (as the member of the group) take it to be!  That's the whole point!  Nobody ever means anything by it - that's why it's funny!  It's just like when Newby calls someone a "nigger" - I think I can gauge his personality well enough to know that he doesn't mean it in the same way as I described in my post.  A word isn't intrinsically "-ist" in any way - it's all about who's saying it and what they mean.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 04:19:23 pm »
But it isn't demeaning unless you (as the member of the group) take it to be!  That's the whole point!  Nobody ever means anything by it - that's why it's funny!  It's just like when Newby calls someone a "nigger" - I think I can gauge his personality well enough to know that he doesn't mean it in the same way as I described in my post.  A word isn't intrinsically "-ist" in any way - it's all about who's saying it and what they mean.
But it is demeaning, because people do mean something by it. I don't know what the proper name is, but I've heard it called passive racism. It's really the same as calling somebody a fag, which is passive gay bashing. For the joke to actually be understood, you have to understand that we're superior to women/black people/homosexuals in some way, so applying their traits to somebody is funny.

In other words, by saying that someone being a woman/black person/homosexual is bad, you're implying that those traits are bad, and, thus, it's racism, albeit passive.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 04:47:08 pm »
iago, you're such a nigger
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

trust

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 06:16:21 pm »
So I was playing Girltalk for my mom today when I was driving home, which was kind of weird. She was picking out the old songs the rap is mixed with (it has Elton John, Styx, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, etc.)

It's a good CD to bump with the windows down and seats leanin'.