Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 9917 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Hunting
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2007, 08:04:12 am »
In my opinion, all opinions are wrong.  <-- Paradox?

Yep!  Almost exactly like saying "There is no truth."

Pfft, that's an easy paradox to resolve.

"There are no absolutes except for this statement"

"In my opinion, all opinions are wrong, except for this one"

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2008, 06:32:35 pm »
CrAz3d and Trust,

Judging from your responses in this thread, your arguments suck. Which clearly makes people think less of your opinions. All opinions and arguments entail assumptions and deductions. Opinions and arguments can be incorrect if they are based off of unsound assumptions and deductions.

For example,

Opinions can be wrong/right!? 

Well, veganism in your opinion is ok yeah?  Since it goes against what we've done for centuries you're wrong and should be forced to eat meat.  TA DA.

1. You assume that the majority does something => it's right. This is logical fallacies 101.
2. Many people cannot afford to live a healthy vegan life
3. Centuries ago it probably wasn't possible to live a healthy vegan life, so your antiquity argument is meaningless.
4. You took iago's "opinions can be right or wrong" to mean "all opinions are either right or wrong", and then claim that veganism must be either right or wrong. This is unimpressive critical reading, which is another reason why your opinions following that are thought less of. While opinions and arguments can be correct and incorrect, this dichotomy does not characterize all opinions and arguments. In layman's terms, opinions and arguments are sometimes correct, incorrect, or neither (aka fuzzy). Veganism is neither... it's a fuzzy issue, and is based off some beliefs and preferences whose validity cannot be completely tested.
5. Your voice is somewhat silly and not respectable (e.g. "ok yeah" and "TA DA"). Though I have to admit, your voice often amuses me.

EDIT:

As a followup to point 4 that I made, I should remark that the idea that there are no right and wrong answers is an inane attempt to increase participation in elementary school classes. This idea is wrong, stupid, and should be burned. But pay attention to critical reading: while there are some questions that have no right answers as of now, there are some questions that do have right answers. It's false that there are no right or wrong answers. In general, most questions have wrong answers, which is why you get picked on so much.

:ENDOFEDIT

Now this is just one example post of yours. I realize it was somewhat sarcastic, but just about every other post you've made in this thread lacks any grounding and gives the same impression.

Sorry for being harsh, but I look forward to seeing improvements in your argumentation. However, this is a journey that you must make on your own -- I cannot hold your hand in this. (I don't want to spend my time that way.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:40:42 pm by Ender »

trust

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »
Thank you for your delayed, yet extremely productive, addition to this topic.