Author Topic: Anybody know VHDL?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Anybody know VHDL?
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:29:19 pm »
My friend's building a NES clone for his final project in some course, and is looking for a good book about the board he's using. He asked me if I know anybody who's a computer engineer and who might have knowledge of this kind of thing. Can anybody recommend a book?

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Re: Anybody know VHDL?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:35:29 pm »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:38:04 pm »
Thanks, I couldn't have done that myself.

Perhaps I should reward the question: can anybody recommend a book? (oh wait, that's my original question!)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:52:11 pm »
Thanks, I couldn't have done that myself.

Perhaps I should reward the question: can anybody recommend a book? (oh wait, that's my original question!)
Oh I'm sorry, you didn't say you tried Google already.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:53:32 pm »
Oh I'm sorry, you didn't say you tried Google already.

I think you kind of have to assume that with anyone who's as proficient as iago...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:16:29 pm »
yeah, I'm not looking for random books, but rather for recommendations from somebody who's experienced with this stuff. I can think of a couple people here who might be.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:28:02 pm »
I assume you're looking for a VHDL book, not a general start-to-finish book for the project?

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 11:01:20 pm »
Yes, the project is a pretty unique one. He just wants to learn the language.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:44:03 am »
My friend's building a NES clone for his final project in some course, and is looking for a good book about the board he's using. He asked me if I know anybody who's a computer engineer and who might have knowledge of this kind of thing. Can anybody recommend a book?
And you didn't think of me? I'm the only Computer Engineer 'round these parts hoss.

First off,
VHDL is a horrible language that your friend will most likely never need again after he is done with this course.

Secondly,
I didn't have any complaints with Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VHDL Design (although I had an earlier version).  I wasn't doing anything too terribly complicated though either.  The most advanced thing I have built with VHDL was a simple PONG game.

I can't recommend anything for more advanced VHDL because I have not had a desire to use the language again.  Is your friend a lower or upperclassman?  If he is an upperclassman, he might find parts of the book old material (it covers things like Karnaugh Maps, truth tables, state machines, binary math, logic gates, and muxes as well).  If he is an underclassman, that sort of material is critical.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:09 am »
And you didn't think of me? I'm the only Computer Engineer 'round these parts hoss.
You're the only person I thought of, actually. :)

First off,
VHDL is a horrible language that your friend will most likely never need again after he is done with this course.
Haha, that's the impression I've gotten from his brief look and shouts of "eww"

Secondly,
I didn't have any complaints with Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VHDL Design (although I had an earlier version).  I wasn't doing anything too terribly complicated though either.  The most advanced thing I have built with VHDL was a simple PONG game.

I can't recommend anything for more advanced VHDL because I have not had a desire to use the language again.  Is your friend a lower or upperclassman?  If he is an upperclassman, he might find parts of the book old material (it covers things like Karnaugh Maps, truth tables, state machines, binary math, logic gates, and muxes as well).  If he is an underclassman, that sort of material is critical.
He'll know those concepts already, for sure. Despite knowing the basics, do you think the book would still be handy?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:32 am »
If he knows digital logic well already, I'm afraid that only the last 1/3 of the book will be very useful.  While there are often VHDL samples earlier in the book, only the last portion has lots of full VHDL samples.  Perhaps if I knew what he was trying to get out of the book better I could look through it and make a better decision. 

It has a chapter on Digital Design and the appendixes have a lot of VHDL tutorials/references.  I know this isn't a great recommendation, but it's my only real interaction with VHDL.  Perhaps he should take a peek at a bookstore first.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 10:26:30 am »
All right, I'll just tell him to research books online. You're the only person I know who might have been able to help, so I was hoping to get your take. Thanks! :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:49:25 am »
No problem.  Like I said, if he thinks he can give more detail, I'd be happy to look through and tell him if this book has what he wants or not.