Author Topic: The x86 Dictatorship  (Read 18062 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: The x86 Dictatorship
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 06:30:45 pm »
iago, you talked about trust's "ban rabbit post."  By deleting it you were responding to him.  You very much "fed the troll" whether you intended to or not.  Even though we know trust's intentions aren't exactly to ban rabbit because of XXXX, trust might have some sort of valid point about non-members requesting bans.  Maybe we should amend the rules.
I believe that it's best to let small 'rebellion' difuse on its own accord, not try to stop it ... unless there is a real threat that is.
Well, that's a tricky one. If I had done nothing, there would have been replies, arguments, fights, etc. By moving it to the Trash, it tells him that that type of thing is unwanted.

When I used to backstab people in Starcraft, the very worst was when they left the game or didn't say anything. Trashing the posts silently is, to me, the same as leaving the game silently. It's still a reaction, just not the one you hoped for.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 06:32:31 pm »
First off, "You're an ass" and "You're an asshole" don't count as two separate insults.  Second, neither of the two were INSULTS, as I said before.  If you see somebody being an ass, are you going to think they are an ass?  Yes.  I see Trust being an ass all over the forums, so that's what I think, and you know I speak (type?) my mind.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 06:39:38 pm »
iago, you talked about trust's "ban rabbit post."  By deleting it you were responding to him.  You very much "fed the troll" whether you intended to or not.  Even though we know trust's intentions aren't exactly to ban rabbit because of XXXX, trust might have some sort of valid point about non-members requesting bans.  Maybe we should amend the rules.
I believe that it's best to let small 'rebellion' difuse on its own accord, not try to stop it ... unless there is a real threat that is.
Well, that's a tricky one. If I had done nothing, there would have been replies, arguments, fights, etc. By moving it to the Trash, it tells him that that type of thing is unwanted.

When I used to backstab people in Starcraft, the very worst was when they left the game or didn't say anything. Trashing the posts silently is, to me, the same as leaving the game silently. It's still a reaction, just not the one you hoped for.

It's still a response.  The only way for it to die is if we all just let it die (which won't happen and still isn't happening).

rabbit, "you're an asshole" very much is an insult.  Something like "you can be obnoxious" is a criticism.  Same as iago mentioning using "you drive like a woman" as being insulting towards women instead of using terms that actually apply (like "you drive poorly").

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »
It's still a response.  The only way for it to die is if we all just let it die (which won't happen and still isn't happening).
It's the minimum possible response. I work in the industry of, basically, risk management. What's the smallest risk you can take with the biggest associated payoff? Or, in this case, how can you minimize it?

It only hasn't died because Trust doesn't want to let it die. This isn't the first time he's tried to hit x86 below the belt, and I'm sure it won't be his last time.

rabbit, "you're an asshole" very much is an insult.  Something like "you can be obnoxious" is a criticism.  Same as iago mentioning using "you drive like a woman" as being insulting towards women instead of using terms that actually apply (like "you drive poorly").
Are you saying that calling Trust an asshole is an insult toward assholes? :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 06:42:51 pm »
So what you're saying is that my comment is an insult to anal cavaties everywhere?  You need to use logical compliments when you try to use parallelism, otherwise it doesn't work.  If it's any better:
Trust ACTS like an asshole.  Better?

Dammit iago, you stole my point...

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:14 pm »
Trying to justify insulting someone is just a testament to how both sides are equally to blame.
All of this has been provoked in one way or another, at one point in time by someone.
Do you think Trust wakes up every morning and goes "Gee let me go try to kill x86!". That's comparable to the terrorist scare in America.

I think more or less the problem is that x86 (by this I mean the members most negatively affected by Trust's action) refuses to take any sort of responsibility for what they're on the receiving end of. Really, if it bothers you so much to get insulted (Judging from the fact that every time Trust breathes funny there is a ban nomination in his name), then I suggest you keep the smart ass comments / insults to yourself.

Let's grow up and cut the bullshit.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 08:09:32 pm »
Trying to justify insulting someone is just a testament to how both sides are equally to blame.
All of this has been provoked in one way or another, at one point in time by someone.
Do you think Trust wakes up every morning and goes "Gee let me go try to kill x86!". That's comparable to the terrorist scare in America.

I think more or less the problem is that x86 (by this I mean the members most negatively affected by Trust's action) refuses to take any sort of responsibility for what they're on the receiving end of. Really, if it bothers you so much to get insulted (Judging from the fact that every time Trust breathes funny there is a ban nomination in his name), then I suggest you keep the smart ass comments / insults to yourself.

Agreed, infinitely.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 08:17:51 pm »

That's a good point, but I'm going to have to disagree with that.

The reason I disagree is that I don't treat Trust differently than anybody else 99% of the time. The only times I treat him differently are times when he grabs a thread and starts tugging. It's not frequent, but once a year or so, he'll pick at something and try to cause problems, and that's when this kind of thing starts.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 08:56:27 pm »

That's a good point, but I'm going to have to disagree with that.

The reason I disagree is that I don't treat Trust differently than anybody else 99% of the time. The only times I treat him differently are times when he grabs a thread and starts tugging. It's not frequent, but once a year or so, he'll pick at something and try to cause problems, and that's when this kind of thing starts.

I don't think this is aimed at you as much, the most I see is maybe some baiting or something but it's much more subtle.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 10:58:32 pm »
What the fuck thread has the most insightful posts coming from the resident troll?  ???
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:29 pm »
haha fuck canadians and americans

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 11:16:03 pm »
We're in a voting process to ban you right now, and I voted yes. In the time you have remaining, quit trolling and being a douchebag, and we'll possibly consider letting you come back when you grow up.

Good job calling iago unpatriotic of the US, by the way. I see what you did there.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18:31 pm »
We're in a voting process to ban you right now, and I voted yes. In the time you have remaining, quit trolling and being a douchebag, and we'll possibly consider letting you come back when you grow up.

Why do you talk for the whole clan as if there's 100% support?
Last time I checked you're one person.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 11:44:24 pm »

Good job calling iago unpatriotic of the US, by the way. I see what you did there.

wtf? Joe, this is incredibly unwarranted.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 12:58:17 am »

wtf? Joe, this is incredibly unwarranted.

Sorry, I was pissed when I typed that, but now he's crying like he didn't do anything.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.