Author Topic: RPC sucks, how can I fix it?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
RPC sucks, how can I fix it?
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:11:30 am »

It gets like that after about 2 or 3 hours of my computer being on, and it never stops.  I've tried all the fixes I could find:
Turning off automatic updates
Setting failure to "restart service"
Uninstalling IPv6
and some other stuff I doubted would do anything (cleaned the registry, defrag, etc...)

Does anyone know how to fix this assmonkey service?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: RPC sucks, how can I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:16:20 am »
Install Linux? :D

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:30:05 am »
I need Windows because I need to use certain programs for some of my classes...

Also, my external drive is formatted to NTFS, and it has all of my movies and stuff on it, plus I need a converter and program to stream media to my 360.  Linux won't work just now :'(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:32:42 am by rabbit »

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:48:09 am »
Install Linux? :D

That'd only triple his problems :(
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:25:23 pm »

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:25:29 am »
I need Windows because I need to use certain programs for some of my classes...

Also, my external drive is formatted to NTFS, and it has all of my movies and stuff on it, plus I need a converter and program to stream media to my 360.  Linux won't work just now :'(

Check if your programs will run in Wine; most do.

Ever heard of NTFS-3G? NTFS isn't just for Windows any more. In fact, NTFS-3G is generally reviewed as being better than Microsoft's own NTFS driver.

Streaming media to a 360 is seriously a concern? Do a google search (hint: you're looking for a UPnP-standard streaming server); if reading any random five of the first ten distinct results doesn't give you a working solution, I'll eat my hat.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:28:22 am »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:38:18 am »
Ever heard of NTFS-3G? NTFS isn't just for Windows any more. In fact, NTFS-3G is generally reviewed as being better than Microsoft's own NTFS driver.

Last time I heard, it had troubles with compression and encryption and some other random problems (running out of hdd space, something with folders, etc.). How could it fare better than M$'s NTFS driver?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 04:07:43 pm »
Blaster not found  ;D >:(

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 01:17:14 pm »

Last time I heard, it had troubles with compression and encryption and some other random problems (running out of hdd space, something with folders, etc.). How could it fare better than M$'s NTFS driver?

In NTFS, file and folder elements have properties structured similar to those that exist in the system registry. These properties cover things like permissions, and they use complex key names that vary under certain conditions. Because the key names vary, the number of properties attached to each element grows over time. Additionally, there's nothing specifically preventing a user-level program from writing to the properties of a file owned by the user account.

Once these keys are created, they very rarely ever get deleted; they just linger. This can lead to excessive disk fragmentation, which increases exponentially the likelihood that a disk fault will result in corrupt data. NTFS-3G doesn't possess the problem that manifests as the "corrupt data after a long time" bug.

When NTFS-3G first came out, it was distributed in read-only mode, and it remained that way for, IIRC, about two years. The reason why? The keys for the properties are all GUIDs generated by an algorithm that varies from file to file! For those of you who don't understand what that means, it's security by obscurity, which isn't actually security at all; it's obfuscation. In order for something to be called secure, the data has to be unrecoverable even if the algorithm by which it was encoded is published. That's right, you heard it here first, NTFS is an unsecured filesystem, despite what Microsoft wants you to believe. Anyone with physical access to your NTFS formatted harddrive can read any of the data on it, as long as they have the knowledge of how to install the NTFS-3G driver.

Eventually, someone figured out the method to the madness - I remember compiling the unstable branch on my Gentoo box the day it was available. Wasn't entirely bug-free, but you were only in danger if you tried to do a write operation. Failures back then were generally catastrophic; one bad write could result in the ultimate destruction of the entire filesystem, since NTFS is structured in a way that's conducive to cascade failures!

By the time NTFS-3G went stable, all of the above issues had been resolved. An NTFS partition maintained buy the NTFS-3G driver will last longer than an NTFS partition maintained by Microsoft's. The bottom line is that NTFS is a very poorly designed filesystem, and it should never be used by non-windows machines if at all possible.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 02:10:16 pm »
In order for something to be called secure, the data has to be unrecoverable even if the algorithm by which it was encoded is published. That's right, you heard it here first, NTFS is an unsecured filesystem, despite what Microsoft wants you to believe. Anyone with physical access to your NTFS formatted harddrive can read any of the data on it, as long as they have the knowledge of how to install the NTFS-3G driver.
Unless you're talking about when file encryption is enabled, do they actually advertise NTFS as secure?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 03:30:37 pm »
In order for something to be called secure, the data has to be unrecoverable even if the algorithm by which it was encoded is published. That's right, you heard it here first, NTFS is an unsecured filesystem, despite what Microsoft wants you to believe. Anyone with physical access to your NTFS formatted harddrive can read any of the data on it, as long as they have the knowledge of how to install the NTFS-3G driver.
Unless you're talking about when file encryption is enabled, do they actually advertise NTFS as secure?

I don't think so, I mean not unless you use BitLocker.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 07:09:09 pm »
Yes.  The definition of a secure file system is not whether it protected file data; in fact, my smart card's OS has a secure file system.  The SDK describes a secure file system as having the following two characteristics:
* Internal data structures are updated safely even in cases of power interruption.  (True: NTFS is a transactional journaling file system).
* Access to individual files and directories can be protected using authentication keys.  (True: NTFS uses security identifiers and a sophisticated permission system).

Whether the data on my smart card is *physically* secure, I can only speculate.  I don't have the technical knowledge to bypass the smart card's OS.  Similarly, NTFS is secure only when Windows is running.  Physically, the data's there.

Anyone with physical access to your NTFS formatted harddrive can read any of the data on it, as long as they have the knowledge of how to install the NTFS-3G driver.
That means that NTFS-3G is insecure, because it doesn't obey the rules of NTFS.

Once these keys are created, they very rarely ever get deleted; they just linger. This can lead to excessive disk fragmentation, which increases exponentially the likelihood that a disk fault will result in corrupt data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Internals

Seriously, do you know anything about the internals of the Windows OS?  Read this, and stop spewing off the FUD and hate from the 40-year-old-never-gotten-laid-3-foot-long-bearded Linux users.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 09:52:35 am »

It is secure as long as you are operating within the constraints of the operating system and don't have physical or administrative access to it.

(Amazingly enough, having physical or administrative access to a run-of-the-mill system not explicitly designed for hardware tamper-resistance allows one to bypass local security measures, which seems to be news to certain persons whom are not named iago.)

Protecting data against attacks of that sort requires encryption with a key that isn't stored on the volume itself, or (say for a smartcard or TPM), is stored in a tamper-resistant fashion such that the effort needed to extract the private data from the tamper-resistant hardware is greater than the worth of the data protected by it.  The same can certainly be said for ext3 or other filesystem choices as well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:18:35 am by Skywing »