Author Topic: Firefox 3 + Slackware 12  (Read 3772 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Firefox 3 + Slackware 12
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:00:29 am »
About 6 months ago, I sent a broken harddrive away for warranty work. That was my 80gb drive. In the meantime, I used my 60gb drive. Yesterday, I finally got around to switching back to the big drive.

I figured I'd give Slackware 12 another chance. Before, I couldn't get my video card to work properly, nor would my wireless card work. But this time was no better.

I couldn't get the Radeon drivers to work for my video card again. It's their closed-source crap. I installed it, but when I started X-windows I'd get nothing. The only way I ever got the drivers working was from a Slackware 10.2 package on linuxpackages.net. I discovered, though, that the default video drivers (DRI, I think?) on Slackware 12 now support a decent resolution (1280x1024) and seem to work good enough for 2d stuff. I can live without the 3d. So there you have it.

Then I couldn't get the drivers for my wireless ipw2200 card to work. Again, it's a closed piece of hardware, but there are opensource drivers that would fail to compile. However, when I plugged in a pcmcia wireless card I haven't used in years, it worked instantly. So that works.

I also decided to install the Firefox 3.0 beta. There are some nice things I like about it, and a few annoying things, too. You know how you get used to something, and suddenly it changes slightly and annoys you? I feel that way, anyways. To get to the forum, I always typed "x<tab><enter>" on the address bar, but that doesn't work anymore. And to get to vL's forum, I used to type "forum<tab><enter>", but that doesn't work neither. When you type in an address, it searches everything in your history, not just the beginning. That's pretty cool, I guess. It also feels faster, although that may be an illusion.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox 3 + Slackware 12
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:12:34 am »
I like FF3, and the x8<tab><enter> still works for me.  Maybe it doesn't like you?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:15:44 am »
I like FF3, and the x8<tab><enter> still works for me.  Maybe it doesn't like you?
x8<tab> works fine, but after years of x<tab> it's really hard to break the habit!

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:36:32 am »
Haha...I do x8 because I also go to x264.  But I see what you mean, because when I do x<tab> it wants to go to exophase.com...

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:51:51 am »
I also decided to install the Firefox 3.0 beta. There are some nice things I like about it, and a few annoying things, too. You know how you get used to something, and suddenly it changes slightly and annoys you? I feel that way, anyways. To get to the forum, I always typed "x<tab><enter>" on the address bar, but that doesn't work anymore. And to get to vL's forum, I used to type "forum<tab><enter>", but that doesn't work neither. When you type in an address, it searches everything in your history, not just the beginning. That's pretty cool, I guess. It also feels faster, although that may be an illusion.

I absoluted hated this too, FF also seems to have problems shutting down on Windows where the process lingers after the Window is closed. I just feel the general direction they're heading is a bad one, which is bloating the browser as a result. I used to like FF because it was lean, now it's gained some weight.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:59:10 pm »

I absoluted hated this too, FF also seems to have problems shutting down on Windows where the process lingers after the Window is closed. I just feel the general direction they're heading is a bad one, which is bloating the browser as a result. I used to like FF because it was lean, now it's gained some weight.

I wouldn't say I hated it, it's just a very minor change that I have to get used to, the same way I got used to not using alt-s in 2.0.

I haven't had a problem with the process lingering, but don't forget that this is a beta version. Also, I find that FF3, on average, uses less resources and runs faster than FF2 did. So I have to disagree and say that they're currently heading in a good direction.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:05:41 pm »
Process lingering really only happens for me when Firefox crashes and it doesn't happen every time.  Does Firefox 3 complete the ACID test successfully?  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:24:13 pm »
I never did <letter><tab><enter>. I always used the mouse. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:20:07 pm »
Process lingering really only happens for me when Firefox crashes and it doesn't happen every time.  Does Firefox 3 complete the ACID test successfully?  :P
It passes the acid2 test, but not the acid3 test.

Of course, the acid3 test isn't even created yet, so I don't blame it for that one. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 03:00:19 pm »
With IE8 passing ACID2, every major browser passes it now =)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

Don't you have to "enable" w3c compliance with a tag or something?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 03:34:40 pm »

Don't you have to "enable" w3c compliance with a tag or something?

You set a doctype to support "quirks mode" or "standards compliance mode". Standards Compliance mode is set unless specified otherwise though.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 03:37:41 pm »
You set a doctype to support "quirks mode" or "standards compliance mode". Standards Compliance mode is set unless specified otherwise though.

Ah, I heard it was the opposite, but I'd trust what you say over who I heard it from.  Kind of lame that standards compliance can be "toggled", though, lol.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »

Ah, I heard it was the opposite, but I'd trust what you say over who I heard it from.  Kind of lame that standards compliance can be "toggled", though, lol.

Well I'm not entirely sure, I'll double check I've been meaning to watch that interview again.