Author Topic: NYT Article -- Rethinking the Meat-Guzzler  (Read 1310 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
NYT Article -- Rethinking the Meat-Guzzler
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/weekinreview/27bittman.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=a1087de0ce76df87&ex=1202187600&emc=eta1

This is a really nice article about the current and up-coming problems caused by people (particularly upper- and middle-class Americans) eating too much meat. For example, they talk about the health problems, environmental problems, and the rising cost of raising/feeding livestock that'll be passed onto the consumers.

I should point out that the author isn't vegetarian, and he's not telling people to stop eating meat. Rather, he's suggesting that people eat less meat, and, when they do, to try and eat non-factory-grown meat.

Then there's also this angle, which I like a lot:
Though some 800 million people on the planet now suffer from hunger or malnutrition, the majority of corn and soy grown in the world feeds cattle, pigs and chickens. This despite the inherent inefficiencies: about two to five times more grain is required to produce the same amount of calories through livestock as through direct grain consumption, according to Rosamond Naylor, an associate professor of economics at Stanford University. It is as much as 10 times more in the case of grain-fed beef in the United States.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: NYT Article -- Rethinking the Meat-Guzzler
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:46:46 pm »
according to Rosamond Naylor, an associate professor of economics at Stanford University. 

Call me when he gets tenured.

Seriously, though, t's an excellent observation.  I agree with their premises and conclusion.  I guess I just don't feel strongly enough to do anything about it. :\

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:25:18 pm »
I want to retire to a ranch running 500 head or so, I think it'd be fun.  And real meat probably tastes way better.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:02:18 pm »
*steals*

Thanks. I needed an article for my seminar class. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.