Author Topic: Top 10 ways we got the odds wrong  (Read 1549 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Top 10 ways we got the odds wrong
« on: January 31, 2008, 02:40:03 pm »
Sorry for posting so many links today, but I was sent this story about risk (I linked to the print version, let me know if you want the version with ads and colours). It's actually really good, here are a couple excerpts:

After 9/11, 1.4 million people changed their holiday travel plans to avoid flying. The vast majority chose to drive instead. But driving is far more dangerous than flying, and the decision to switch caused roughly 1,000 additional auto fatalities, according to two separate analyses comparing traffic patterns in late 2001 to those the year before. In other words, 1,000 people who chose to drive wouldn't have died had they flown instead.

If the risks of smoking marijuana are coldly compared to those of playing high-school football, parents should be less concerned about pot smoking. Death by marijuana overdose has never been reported, while 13 teen players died of football-related injuries in 2006 alone. And marijuana impairs driving far less than the number one drug used by teens: alcohol. Alcohol and tobacco are also more likely to beget addiction, give rise to cancer, and lead to harder drug use.

There are a lot of things in the article I agree with, and a couple I disagree with, but I totally think it's worth a read.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 ways we got the odds wrong
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:16:48 pm »
When risky decisions are weighed in a rational calculus, benefits like fitting in and feeling good now can outweigh real risks. As a result, teaching reasoned decision-making to teens backfires, argues Reyna. Instead, she says, we should teach kids to rule out risks based on emotional responses—for example, by considering the worst-case scenario, as adults do. But research suggests there may be no way to speed up the development of mature decision-making. Repetition and practice are critical to emotional judgment—which means that it takes time to learn this skill.
What the fuck? That point sounds contrary to the entire tone of the article.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Top 10 ways we got the odds wrong
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:49:52 pm »
When risky decisions are weighed in a rational calculus, benefits like fitting in and feeling good now can outweigh real risks. As a result, teaching reasoned decision-making to teens backfires, argues Reyna. Instead, she says, we should teach kids to rule out risks based on emotional responses—for example, by considering the worst-case scenario, as adults do. But research suggests there may be no way to speed up the development of mature decision-making. Repetition and practice are critical to emotional judgment—which means that it takes time to learn this skill.
What the fuck? That point sounds contrary to the entire tone of the article.
That's funny, since that's like the one line that I picked out and discussed with my friend for awhile. I totally agree -- the idea of rational judgements instead of emotional responses makes far more sense, and is the point.

Good find!