Author Topic: Air Canada pilot falls ill during flight: report  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Air Canada pilot falls ill during flight: report
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:39:04 am »
Air Canada pilot falls ill during flight: report

An Air Canada co-pilot who fell ill in the cockpit during a flight from Toronto to London has been admitted to an Irish hospital for psychiatric care, according to a report from the Irish Independent.

The report said the pilot of flight 848 was forced to make an emergency landing in Shannon, Ireland, at about 8 a.m. local time Monday after his co-pilot suffered from what appeared to be a nervous breakdown.

In Shannon, the 149 passengers onboard the flight were transferred to local hotels briefly before reboarding their flight, piloted by another crew flown in from London, several media reports confirmed.

The original flight left Toronto's Pearson International Airport just after 8 p.m. Sunday. The passengers finally arrived at their destination, London's Heathrow Airport, around 4 p.m. local time, about eight hours behind schedule, the Irish Independent reports.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=cd55c45d-e6ae-4ea6-a0f6-e48956e3b008&k=14039
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:20:29 pm by Killer360 »

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
Re: Air Canada pilot falls ill during flight: report
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:26:24 pm »
Air Canada flight diverted after co-pilot falls ill

An Air Canada flight from Toronto had to make an emergency landing in Ireland Monday after a co-pilot suffered an apparent breakdown.

Flight 848 landed in Shannon, Ireland at 8 a.m. local time Monday after several crew members and a passenger, who is reportedly a member of the Canadian military, restrained the co-pilot.

The crew became concerned when the co-pilot began to act in a peculiar way and began talking to himself loudly, according to an unnamed source who spoke to the Irish newspaper the Irish Independent.

Police in Ireland are not investigating the incident, according to Pat Flynn, a reporter with the Irish Independent, who spoke to CTV's Canada AM from Ennis, Ireland.

Flynn said there was no apparent incident aboard the flight that led to the co-pilot becoming ill.

The co-pilot was assessed and brought to the psychiatric ward of a local hospital while nearly 150 passengers on board the flight were flown to Heathrow Airport in London, Flynn said.

Air Canada released a written statement Monday night saying passenger safety was never at risk.

"The captain and crew of AC 848 followed standard operating procedures in light of the co-pilot falling ill," the statement said. "The captain elected to divert to Shannon and landed without incident. At no time was safety compromised."

Capt. Georges Plourde, a former Air Canada pilot, told Canada AM the airline has a "failsafe policy" that allows one pilot to fly the aircraft in the event that the other becomes ill or unable to continue.

He said he agreed with the captain's decision to touch down earlier than planned in order to get medical attention for the co-pilot, even though it inconvenienced the passengers.

"So he did the right think, I believe, and the aircract...was never in any jeopardy and the flight was handled professionally and I commend the captain for that."

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »
So what? This is about as boring as it gets.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29:07 pm »
Next on Killer360 news reports: bear finds his usual bathroom spot in the woods has been invaded by raccoons, moves to another spot to shit.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:10:55 pm »
I'd love to see you say it was boring if you were on that flight.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:16:13 pm »

And I'd love to see you say that this issue is more important than starvation after living in Ethiopia after a week.  See what I did there? :)

I have no problem with you posting things that don't interest me or the general population of these boards, but don't expect them to find it as interesting as you do.  By the way, I do agree that this is a rather boring article

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:23:53 am »
Next on Killer360 news reports: bear finds his usual bathroom spot in the woods has been invaded by raccoons, moves to another spot to shit.
Lacks airplanes. Should be more like...
Next on Killer360 news reports: bear finds his usual bathroom spot in the woods has been invaded by raccoons, moves to another spot to shit next to an airplane.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:18 am »

But I wasn't on the flight, and I don't know anyone who was.  If you were telling a first hand account of this, I'd find it more interesting.  I wouldn't find it boring to see a lion in a zoo, but I'm sure other people who don't know me would find it boring to read a news story about me going to the zoo and looking at a lion.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 01:46:00 am »

But I wasn't on the flight, and I don't know anyone who was.  If you were telling a first hand account of this, I'd find it more interesting.  I wouldn't find it boring to see a lion in a zoo, but I'm sure other people who don't know me would find it boring to read a news story about me going to the zoo and looking at a lion.

That beat Newby's idea. Hifive.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:25:46 am »
ooh, somebody should declare this the official "tell a boring one- or two-line story" thread!

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »
ooh, somebody should declare this the official "tell a boring one- or two-line story" thread!

So I got on to check if there were any cool new interesting topics in x86. Somehow, I was both severely disappointed and immensely pleased simultaneously. Such ambivalence was of course naturally arousing.

The End
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 07:27:53 pm »
its ok killer almost everything i post are boring. welcome to the group :P

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 02:22:43 pm »
I still don't get it. How is this post so "boring"?

Are you people waiting for a terrorist attack or something?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:45:19 pm »

A co-pilot on a plane got sick. They landed. I'm afraid that's unexciting. :P

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:47:11 pm »

A co-pilot on a plane got sick. They landed. I'm afraid that's unexciting. :P

More than just sick. Read the article..........  ::)

I wouldn't just post it if he JUST got sick.........