Author Topic: F**k off, _______ (fill in the blank!)  (Read 5924 times)

trust

Re: F**k off, _______ (fill in the blank!)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »
Also, no posts have been removed, they've been sent to the trash. You don't have to re-post when things are trashed, they're still available to be read.

Yes I know but they are unable to be replied to, so I'm not able to defend myself.

Do you seriously believe "Fuck off" isn't insulting?

Did you read the article? Did anybody here besides myself, CrAz3d, and Newby read the article?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 12:51:50 pm »
Yes I know but they are unable to be replied to, so I'm not able to defend myself.

Things are moved to the trash can when we're pretty sure there's no way you can justify calling what you said something more than an insult or flame-bait.  If you disagree, send someone a message, but don't repost exactly what you said.  I'm not sure if you did that in this case, but you've done it before and it didn't do anything for you.

Did you read the article? Did anybody here besides myself, CrAz3d, and Newby read the article?

Yes, I read the article.  If you took it to heart, though, and seriously believe that it is now socially acceptable in every case to tell someone to "fuck off" because some stupid judges in Scotland say so, then you're monumentally foolish.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 12:53:03 pm »
Also, no posts have been removed, they've been sent to the trash. You don't have to re-post when things are trashed, they're still available to be read.

Do you seriously believe "Fuck off" isn't insulting?

It's insulting here ... not Scotland ;)!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 01:49:06 pm »
Yes, I read it, and I posted it in the "haha, silly Scottish!" mindset. See Sidoh's post.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 02:49:53 pm »
Here's a reply from the site itself.

In fact, "Fuck off" is not an insult anywhere. It's an obscenity, but it doesn't fulfil the criteria for an insult, in that it does not denigrate the person of the hearer in any way.

"Wanker" is an insult. "Bastard" is an insult. "Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries" is an insult.

"Fuck off" is an instruction.

I'm inclined to agree.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:54 pm »
It's not. It's an instruction. "Your mother reeks of gasoline and spends her money on dog feces" is insulting. :)

* Newby ducks.

Instructions can be insulting. :P

Buck dich.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »
It's not. It's an instruction. "Your mother reeks of gasoline and spends her money on dog feces" is insulting. :)

* Newby ducks.

Instructions can be insulting. :P

Buck dich.

Every once in awhile, I'm glad I listen to Rammstein.

trust

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:32 am »
Yes, I read the article.  If you took it to heart, though, and seriously believe that it is now socially acceptable in every case to tell someone to "fuck off" because some stupid judges in Scotland say so, then you're monumentally foolish.

I'm sorry that I have a different opinion than you, I don't know how I function on earth.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 10:55:25 am »

I'm sorry that I have a different opinion than you, I don't know how I function on earth.

Playing the opinion card in this case doesn't serve as any sort of legitimate argument.  Your opinion doesn't matter in the case where you state something and leave it up to the person(s) you said it to to take it as they will.  If you were to run into some guy you didn't know on campus and said "Fuck off," I doubt his reaction would be "Oooh yooouuuu!".

trust

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 12:04:06 pm »

Playing the opinion card in this case doesn't serve as any sort of legitimate argument.  Your opinion doesn't matter in the case where you state something and leave it up to the person(s) you said it to to take it as they will.  If you were to run into some guy you didn't know on campus and said "Fuck off," I doubt his reaction would be "Oooh yooouuuu!".

My point is that just because I take a different stance than you on an issue I'm insulted and called monumentally foolish. Speaking of me being insulted, does anyone else see the contradiction in deleting my post because it was an "insult" (even though according to Scotland, it isn't) yet the post that calls me foolish (directly negatively characterizes me) is left intact?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 12:16:54 pm »
I'd love to split this thread again and get rid of all the crap again, but it keeps resurfacing. That's why I haven't "deleted" any other posts from here.

Speaking of which, let me re-iterate: nothing is being deleted. Stop using that rigged language to make it sound worse than it is.

I've noticed that in recent weeks, you've done nothing but try causing problems. Perhaps you can try contributing a bit, for a change?

<edit> I also feel that I should point out that, despite how you seem to feel, we aren't all out to get you. If you stop trying to start fights, we'll stop moving your posts.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:43:17 pm by iago »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 02:42:17 pm »
My point is that just because I take a different stance than you on an issue I'm insulted and called monumentally foolish. Speaking of me being insulted, does anyone else see the contradiction in deleting my post because it was an "insult" (even though according to Scotland, it isn't) yet the post that calls me foolish (directly negatively characterizes me) is left intact?

You lack a significant amount of insight if you're unable to see that "fuck off" is inappropriate in almost all social situations.  That is not an opinion.  You're free to interpret it how you wish, but it's fallacious to use this ruling to convince people that "fuck off" is intrinsically non-offensive.

The rest of your post is irrelevant and isn't much beyond a strawman, but I'll indulge you.  You put words in my mouth.  Read what I said again:

You missed the conditional.  If you honestly believe that "fuck off" is socially acceptable, then I think the word fool would describe you, at least in that regard, very nicely.

trust

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:10 pm »
So it's only alright to insult somebody if there is a conditional state in there? So, "If you don't like me, then fuck off rabbit" would have been more socially acceptable? Alright, I got it. I apologize for the confusion, it was all a big misunderstanding.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 06:15:40 pm »
So it's only alright to insult somebody if there is a conditional state in there? So, "If you don't like me, then fuck off rabbit" would have been more socially acceptable? Alright, I got it. I apologize for the confusion, it was all a big misunderstanding.

It's usually meaningless rhetoric, to be honest, but in that case, I wasn't sure if you actually believed "fuck off" wasn't insulting.  It seemed like a really unlikely belief that anyone would hold.