Author Topic: Need help  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Need help
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 10:23:35 pm »
Also, just the fact that you evaded your high school so well and for so long may piss them off. It's not a rational counterargument, but it could affect the committee's decision, so you may want to convey in your proposal that you avoided your high school not because you hated it, but for some practical reason like wanting to study at a college or inconvenience, etc. Of course, this may not be entirely honest :P

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Need help
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 10:45:42 pm »
Then I suppose a counterargument, given that the PSEO is designed to transfer credits, is that a high school diploma testifies that a student has satisfactorily covered the areas of knowledge important to that town or city, and since Brit Lit was on the curriculum, it is clearly important to your specific high school. They would say: what you're asking for is a GED, not a high school diploma!
Actually, I believe the brit lit is more for colleges, since the majority of colleges/universities want four years of English, and no high school is optimistic enough to think the majority of students would take four years of English if they weren't forced to. Or, that's my cynical view of it.
Also, I don't think you quite understand my situation, probably because I did a piss-poor job explaining it. Essentially, I'm a junior in HS. I graduate next year. My senior English class is Brit Lit (at the high school). Same class at the U of MN is a 3000-level class (so it's a junior-level english class that is really only supposed to be taken BY English majors). Shakespeare, a British writer, has a class devoted to him that is of appropriate difficulty (1000-level / freshman-year). I'm pissed that they won't let me take Shakespeare. I complained to the principal and got sent to do this. Help any?

Also, just the fact that you evaded your high school so well and for so long may piss them off. It's not a rational counterargument, but it could affect the committee's decision, so you may want to convey in your proposal that you avoided your high school not because you hated it, but for some practical reason like wanting to study at a college or inconvenience, etc. Of course, this may not be entirely honest :P
"Evaded" my high school? Compared to all the PSEO students I know, I've visited my high school the most frequently.. I used to go every week for math team practices, I go about once or twice a month to give an update to my counselor, and any time I learn about any important info (registration dates, class grades, etc) I go tell my counselor immediately.

One last point: I believe the superintendent is the only one (other than the principal of my HS) that will be reading this.. It already passed by the committee.
Sorry if I'm not being clear. =|
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine