Author Topic: Northern Illinois University shooting  (Read 7613 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Northern Illinois University shooting
« on: February 14, 2008, 05:49:58 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html

That's too bad.  If only those students had some sort of device that fires projectiles at a high velocity, maybe they could defend themselves with it. hmm

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Illinois University shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:28:02 pm »
Or maybe if the shooters didn't have some sort of device that fired projectiles at high velocities this never would have happened in the first place.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:40:51 pm »
That only works in an ideal world, which is far from what exists.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:19:50 pm »
Or maybe if the shooters didn't have some sort of device that fired projectiles at high velocities this never would have happened in the first place.

Yeah, we should have laws that prevent guns from being used to shoot people.  Because obviously, the law-breakers would obey THOSE.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:20:28 pm »

Yeah, we should have laws that prevent guns from being used to shoot people.  Because obviously, the law-breakers would obey THOSE.

Restricting access to weapons would surely lower the amount of shootings, though.

All it takes is one craz3y guy with a concealed weapons permit and someone/something to make him upset for this to happen.  Now if that crazy guy couldn't just go down the street to a store that sells guns, it would certainly be more difficult for him to shoot up a school.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »
Restricting access to weapons would surely lower the amount of shootings, though.

All it takes is one craz3y guy with a concealed weapons permit and someone/something to make him upset for this to happen.  Now if that crazy guy couldn't just go down the street to a store that sells guns, it would certainly be more difficult for him to shoot up a school.
He can't.  He has to already have the weapon.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:27:35 pm »
Yea, let's get it off the bat that no law would of changed this outcome in any meaningful way.
It's an unfortunate thing to happen, but people need to understand exactly that. These things happen.

Turning this into a large Gun debate spectacle for the sake of arguing is a disrespect to the affected families.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:20 pm »
I agree that the gun debate should not be in this thread.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:57:43 pm »
I agree that the gun debate should not be in this thread.
agreed now moment of silence for those that passed away *silence*

k now this is the second fatal school shooting in a year wtf. something needs to be done. and guns although i like trained people to have them do not seem to be the answer on campuses. now instead students should carry tazers now that may have an impact....

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 11:00:54 pm »
don't tase me bro!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:17:58 am »

Statistics show that people with concealed carry permits are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than a person without.

Warrior, the only laws that would change this is allowing students to carry on campus.  Even if ALL manufacturing of guns was prohibited, someone would do it anyway.  Allowing guns everywhere is the only other law that might change this situation.

BigAznDaddy, how many school shootings have happened this YEAR though?  Like 5 I think?  A couple of school bus ones, a couple of high school ones, and now this university.  Cops OBVIOUSLY cannot protect us so we should be allowed to protect ourselves.
*also* I did already say my prayers and thoughts for those involved in this tragedy :(

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 12:33:49 am »
Warrior, the only laws that would change this is allowing students to carry on campus.  Even if ALL manufacturing of guns was prohibited, someone would do it anyway.  Allowing guns everywhere is the only other law that might change this situation.

That wouldn't really do much except increase how easy it is to get the gun in the hand of the shooter.
The shooter is probably going to off himself when he's done anyway, what makes you think that you'll have time to react while he's on his rampage?

The answer is to accept that these things can, and will happen. The best thing to do is put in measures to get rapid response in the event of something like this. This includes enforcing tighter lockdown rules, drilling more often, and overall getting the awareness into the minds of the students.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 12:39:39 am »

That wouldn't really do much except increase how easy it is to get the gun in the hand of the shooter.
The shooter is probably going to off himself when he's done anyway, what makes you think that you'll have time to react while he's on his rampage?

Chances that a person can react is WAY better if they HAVE a way to react other than being a sitting duck.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 03:09:24 am »
Quote from: CrAz3D link=topic=11302.msg143788#msg143788
Statistics show that people with concealed carry permits are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than a person without.
{{fact}}

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 08:12:32 am »
In Canada, guns are strictly controlled, but not illegal. However, it is easy enough for criminals to buy them, of course, because they can easily be smuggled in from the United States. In other words, the illegal (by Canada's laws) sale of guns in the US is directly hurting Canada.

Did you know that the US is one of the top violators of Canadian weapon laws?

So I think that the US should start following Canada's laws.

(Then we'll start following your copyright laws)

(For any humour impaired, I'm joking)

Statistics show that people with concealed carry permits are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than a person without.citation needed