Author Topic: I need somebody... not just anybody... you know I need someone  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
I need somebody... not just anybody... you know I need someone
« on: February 23, 2008, 05:27:13 pm »
I am trying to get on Battle.net through Starcraft on Linux. I got singleplayer working but I can't get on battle.net. I get to the server list, go to useast, and then it sort of crashes.

It shows the username-password screen with black boxes for username and password and red buttons below. But on this screen there is no text (such as the "username" descriptor above the username textarea), and it doesn't let me enter any text, and it doesn't respond when I click on the red buttons.

It may be a fonts issue (as most sources indicate) but I've tried all kinds of solutions and none of them have worked, like

1. Copying C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/* to .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
2. sudo apt-get install [core windows fonts]
3. Temporarily removing certain fonts that allegedly make it not work
4. An older version of winetools (the only version of which worked for my updated version of wine). It let me install TrueType fonts but failed in installing Microsoft Foundations Classes 4.0 (which some internet post said I should install).

Has anyone got Starcraft bnet working on Linux? Anyone know how I can get it working?

Here's a picture of the "crash". This time it didn't make it to the username-password menu, it just got stuck on the part before that, where it would normally say "connecting to battle.net...". Ignore the red glare from the light outside.

http://www.x86labs.org/ender/crash.jpg

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: I need somebody... not just anybody... you know I need someone
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 05:32:27 pm »
Was one topic not good enough?  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »
use microsoft xp

TROLL'D

EDIT (since I'm above Ender's level ^^) --

Has anyone got Starcraft bnet working on Linux? Anyone know how I can get it working?

Yes. No. It worked out-of-the-box for me. Your mileage for anything in Wine will vary. Consider cedega.

On a side note, who gave you access to x86labs.org!?!?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Falcon

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:07:30 pm »
It depends on the distro you use and Wine version, I remember it wouldn't work for me on Ubuntu but worked fine on Slackware and Arch, the only problem is that the battle.net menus don't redraw correctly but everything in a game displayed fine. I think Wine version 0.9.15 was the one that worked, see if you can find that somewhere.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »
Full gratitude to Falcon, half gratitude to Newby, zero gratitude to Blaze.

If anyone else has advice please tell it's not resolved yet... though I will try cedega.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:19:24 pm »
Consider cedega.

WTF?!

You suggested proprietary software?!

I vote to ban Newby from the clan.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:20:03 pm »
You linked me to proprietary software?!

You don't need to buy it. IIRC you could access it via cvs/svn/whatever.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »
Depending on how Wine implemented shared libraries, there's a good chance that Battle.net's lockdown wouldn't work with Wine, because Linux by default has address space layout randomization, and Starcraft makes assumptions about where libraries are loaded from.

If Wine implemented libraries in such a way that Battle.snp will always end up loaded to 0x19000000, then there won't be a problem, but there's no guarantee that it'll work.

I suggest running Windows in VMWare, for those times when you can't get away from it.