Author Topic: Prozac doesn't work?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Prozac doesn't work?
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/26/mentalhealth.medicalresearch?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Haven't read the whole thing, and couldn't say for sure that it's accurate, but eh? Still scary if it's true.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Prozac doesn't work?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:07:01 pm »
Then it's sure as fuck a damn good placebo effect.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 03:13:07 pm »
The thing about a lot of mental illnesses is that placebos really do work. It's all mental, literally!

The article says that according to a study, the majority of people had a small improvement, both in the regular group and the placebo group, and there wasn't a huge difference between them.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:17 pm »
I read a story on CNN about recent people possibly having withdrawls from Prozac and becoming violent, including the NIU shooter.

Drugs are bad kids.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:27 pm »
The only exception is in the most severely depressed patients, according to the authors - Prof Irving Kirsch from the department of psychology at Hull University and colleagues in the US and Canada. But that is probably because the placebo stopped working so well, they say, rather than the drugs having worked better.
This statement suggests that this article was interpreted in a way for it to be better marketed. It would take quite a bit of time to explain, and since I don't have that time, I suggest anyone interested to look deeper into the article.
Haven't read the whole thing, and couldn't say for sure that it's accurate, but eh? Still scary if it's true.
Considering the conclusion I drew above, this seems interesting rather than scary.
Hitmen: art is gay