Author Topic: Kids Lying  (Read 1857 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Kids Lying
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:32:15 am »
http://nymag.com/news/features/43893/

A really good story, in my opinion.

The main drawback, I think, is they don't conclude with "what you should do", they just tell you a whole bunch of things that you shouldn't do.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Kids Lying
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:19:36 pm »
Although we think of truthfulness as a young child’s paramount virtue, it turns out that lying is the more advanced skill. A child who is going to lie must recognize the truth, intellectually conceive of an alternate reality, and be able to convincingly sell that new reality to someone else. Therefore, lying demands both advanced cognitive development and social skills that honesty simply doesn’t require. “It’s a developmental milestone,” Talwar has concluded.

I guess my mom is Einstein, then, since she lives a lie.

Consider how we expect a child to act when he opens a gift he doesn’t like. We instruct him to swallow all his honest reactions and put on a polite smile. Talwar runs an experiment where children play games to win a present, but when they finally receive the present, it’s a lousy bar of soap. After giving the kids a moment to overcome the shock, a researcher asks them how they like it. About a quarter of preschoolers can lie that they like the gift—by elementary school, about half. Telling this lie makes them extremely uncomfortable, especially when pressed to offer a few reasons why they like the bar of soap. Kids who shouted with glee when they won the Peeking Game suddenly mumble quietly and fidget.

While, by the dictionary definition, this is lying, I see nothing wrong with this. White lies can be OK...

They learn that honesty only creates conflict, and dishonesty is an easy way to avoid conflict.

Sadly, it's true. My friend turned over a knife on tour for choir in Europe (as opposed to, oh, say, chucking it in a bush) and now he's being expelled for it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:24:34 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
So your friend forgot he had his knife with him, gave it to the teachers/whoever, and now he's being expelled?  ::)  Lame.  Back in my day (haha) we carried knives to school in order to whittle our names into the wooden desks.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:10:20 pm »
So your friend forgot he had his knife with him, gave it to the teachers/whoever, and now he's being expelled?

Yep.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:01:21 am »
That's gay :(.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 12:58:07 am »
I love how they chose a ginger for the cover picture.
Hitmen: art is gay