Author Topic: Firefox issues...  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Firefox issues...
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »
Lately, Firefox thinks loading the page like this is cool (click for big):

Problem is, it's not a network issue - the same page loaded in Opera (click for big):

And rather than post an image with IE working, well, just take my word for it that IE7 loads them correctly as well.

I changed absolutely nothing settings-wise, and while I noticed some ICMP packets being dropped as of today (from my router to the internet, I was losing between 20-30% of my ICMP traffic, but this could just be regular since I never test it) TCP packets were absolutely fine.

Help!

EDIT to clarify: any page loads like that if there are multiple images, it would seem. Nothing shows up in my router logs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 10:31:59 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Firefox issues...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »
There's an option to disable the automatic download of images. Perhaps it got turned off by accident somehow? A gamma ray hit the bit or something?

Settings -> Content -> Load Images Automatically

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:44:34 pm »
That's still ticked on. On occasion, it'll load some images. But for the most part, it looks like that.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 11:40:02 pm »
I think you need to packetlog it to get more details.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:55:51 pm »
Hmm. All of my checksums are apparently incorrect.

Observe just one:

Checksum: 0xaf39 [incorrect, should be 0x3885 (maybe caused by "TCP checksum offload"?)]

And in this window:

Might that have anything to do with it? I can save the packetlog if you'd like.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:58:46 pm by Newby »
- Newby

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:02:41 am »
@iago: You can see the Google logo and some other images are still loaded, so you know that the other setting isn't the issue.

@Newby: that's really odd.  Does anyone know whether Firefox implements its own TCP/IP stack? 

Since the removal of SOCKET_RAW in XPSP2, I didn't think it would be possible to do so on Windows.  But TCP should be auto-correcting for these things.

Microsoft is putting the smack down on Firefox?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:32:05 am »
Newby, it looks like you're having some serious network issues. I'd say you have a problem with a network cable or a network card or possibly your computer or router itself. And you can't rule out your ISP.

@Newby: that's really odd.  Does anyone know whether Firefox implements its own TCP/IP stack? 
Yeah, no. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 12:54:10 pm »
Do the pages work consistently in Opera?  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to packet log an Opera session. :\

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:01:27 pm »
Newby, it looks like you're having some serious network issues. I'd say you have a problem with a network cable or a network card or possibly your computer or router itself. And you can't rule out your ISP.

That was packetlogged FROM my computer. So, I don't think it's my router. It definitely could be my network card, though, which is weird.

Do the pages work consistently in Opera?  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to packet log an Opera session. :\

Yep. Let me do that.

Odd. Not only does my Opera session suffer from the same checksum error, but all of my packets seem to. Observe:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:08:16 pm by Newby »
- Newby

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:32:08 pm »
Maybe it's a driver bug?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 05:39:04 pm »
I don't think it's a driver issue -- M$ drivers are pretty solid. And it arose randomly yesterday.

I know I tinkered with some network setting with netsh a while back, but I don't think it had anything to do with checksumming.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:48:42 pm by Newby »
- Newby

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:53:45 pm »
all ur imgz belong to me
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 05:55:57 pm »
Does this happen on other computers on your network?  Try switching the port the cable coming from your computer plugs into.  If it's still happening, maybe try plugging directly into the modem if possible.  Try another computer on the same cable too.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 07:24:34 pm »
Well, I'm not sure if checksum offloading was the issue, but I fixed my checksum offloading issue (it apparently was offloading it to the hardware to calculate -- not anymore!) so we'll see if this clears it up.

As it turns out, a live packet log tells me that after it resolves the domain name, Firefox makes no attempts to connect to the server. At all. It just sits there, telling me it's loading. Opera, on the other hand, works fine. :|
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:29:04 pm by Newby »
- Newby

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 12:19:05 am »
How strange.  I've had problems with checksum offloading as well.  When I used to play WoW, the game bugged out really frequently after a patch or any time there was a "rush" of information.  Some posts on the support forums recommended disabling Checksum Offloading and it worked perfectly.  Didn't have a single problem after that.