Author Topic: Travelling salesman problem solved! (kinda)  (Read 1235 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Travelling salesman problem solved! (kinda)
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:29:01 am »
<edit> Note: if you don't know what the "Travelling salesman problem" or "NP-Complete" mean, then stop reading right now.
------------------------------------------
Sorry to get any math geeks' hopes up by solving an NP-complete problem. But it's not quite that:

Feel free to either discuss how cool xkcd is, or to discuss why it'd be cool if somebody solved it in polynomial time. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:54:50 pm by iago »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Travelling salesman problem solved! (kinda)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:49:51 am »
Haha, my friend said it was his new favorite.  I'm pretty sure it's one of mine too.  I love ones that deal with algorithms! :)

Among other more positive things, I think it'd be pretty chaotic.  All of our PKI encryption schemes would immediately become useless, I think.

Also, the alt text was really funny as well:
"What's the complexity class of the best linear programming cutting-plane techniques? I couldn't find it anywhere. Man, the Garfield guy doesn't have these problems ..."

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:07:33 pm »
Haha, my friend said it was his new favorite.  I'm pretty sure it's one of mine too.  I love ones that deal with algorithms! :)
It might be mine, too. Or maybe it's my second-favourite, behind the Gary Gygax one. :)

Among other more positive things, I think it'd be pretty chaotic.  All of our PKI encryption schemes would immediately become useless, I think.
PKI = public key infrastructure, I don't think that's quite what you mean.

In any case, can factoring numbers be expressed as a NP-complete problem? I'm not sure about that. But even if it can't, it'd give problem solvers a new weapon to attack problems like that.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »
PKI = public key infrastructure, I don't think that's quite what you mean.

In any case, can factoring numbers be expressed as a NP-complete problem? I'm not sure about that. But even if it can't, it'd give problem solvers a new weapon to attack problems like that.

Sorry, it's really not what I meant to say.  That was dumb.  I should at least eat my cheerios in the morning before I look at the forums. :)

Anyway, the wikipedia article on this is pretty decent.
# The function problem version: given an integer N, find an integer d with 1 < d < N that divides N (or conclude that N is prime). This problem is trivially in FNP and it's not known whether it lies in FP or not. This is the version solved by most practical implementations.

They list two separate problems classified as "integer factorization" and this is obviously the relevant one to RSA.

P = NP if and only if FP = FNP

So yeah, if it's found P = NP, then FP = FNP and there'd be a polynomial time solution.  I'm not sure if that means it could be trivially found, but sometimes people perform better when they know for sure the problem they're facing isn't impossible to solve.  There was a graph theory problem (Is the inverse of a perfect graph always perfect?) that was unsolved for a long time.  A professor had been working on a proof for two years or something, then a clever undergraduate at a different university solved it days after seeing the problem.  The professor was obviously devastated, but within a day or so of finding out, he formulated his own proof.  It was obviously too late by then, though.  The undergrad stole all the glory from him. :)