Author Topic: spyware  (Read 1826 times)

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
spyware
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:13 am »
so i barley have been on my computer all spring break and yesterday i decide to play Americas Army and all of a sudden these spyware poppup shit starts popping up. so i guess my dumb ass brother has been on and causing chaos on my computer. so today i am abou to run avast antivirus and dont know if that will do anything. do you guys know of any programs or anything?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: spyware
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:40 am »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:08:42 am »
Yeah, ad-aware is generally considered the "best". The other de facto standard is Spybot Search & Destroy.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:19:01 pm »
Windows Defender is teh best!!!1

Honestly, run the scan in safe mode, as I've had better experience running from there than I have in normal Windows. Maybe Skywing can put his Windows-savvy two-cents in on the subject!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:42:21 pm »
My recommendation is to avoid getting your box compromised in the first place.  This necessitates, at the very least, not giving admin accounts or your accounts out to other people.

It is in general very difficult (at best) to be completely certain that a system that was once compromised fully has been cleaned completely.

Barring avoiding getting yourself into such a situation in the first place, I'd be inclined towards blowing away and rebuilding a system that had been compromised.  I tend to take a dim view of most "personal security" type software, however (perhaps being jaded by the fact that they tend to introduce security holes, and the futility of signature-based detection schemes in general against anything that isn't just "mass-market" malware).

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »
this keeps popping up... and i have already ran ad-ware

and whenever i try to do ctrl-alt-delt it says administor has disabled task manager help?!?!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 02:13:33 pm »
this keeps popping up... and i have already ran ad-ware

and whenever i try to do ctrl-alt-delt it says administor has disabled task manager help?!?!

I'd recommend doing a system wipe, but if you really don't want to do that, I'd go to System Internals (Which I think is owned by Microsoft now?) and download Process Explorer.  It's a better version of Task Manager.

(link here -> http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...