Author Topic: Victim Treats Mugger Right  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Victim Treats Mugger Right
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
Haha...that's great.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:20:21 pm »
Admirable. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:31:25 pm »
I read that via Fark earlier, cool!

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:47:48 pm »
I read it on Digg... but... where does that guy live... I'd like to try mugging him ;).
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:55:59 am »
Haha, that's awesome!

I've actually been making a point to carry around change lately, in case a homeless person asks me. Or, if I don't have any change, I offer to buy them a coffee if I'm going to be passing them when I return. I sort of came to realize that my arguments against giving money to people were pretty flaccid, and they can use that $2 or $3 more than me. :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:09:26 pm »
Today on my way home I saw a beggar.  I would have given her money (probably not, but it makes the story better), but then I saw that she was smoking.

True story.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:31:12 pm »
Heh, when I was living in Calgary I had a big bag of change I wanted to get rid of (I couldn't be bothered rolling all my pennies/nickles/dimes, and I was moving and didn't want to pack them), so I offered them to a homeless guy. He said something like, "Well, I was hoping for smokes, but that'll do".

I sort of have mixed feelings about that, though. If I give money to a homeless person, they'll probably use it to by alcohol/cigarettes/drugs, but does that really matter? I mean, if it gives them a little pleasure in their crappy lives, then maybe it isn't so bad, but if it's the reason their life sucks, then you aren't doing them any good.

*shrug* dunno. I'd rather give money to a beggar who's smoking than one who's drunk.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:04:52 pm »
*shrug* dunno. I'd rather give money to a beggar who's smoking than one who's drunk.
Weird preference.  Both smoking and drinking are equally a waste of money, ESPECIALLY when you're homeless (unless homeless by choice)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 09:58:21 pm »
Weird preference.  Both smoking and drinking are equally a waste of money, ESPECIALLY when you're homeless (unless homeless by choice)
Well, smoking is a whole lot less destructive to a person than drinking. I mean, people who addicted to cigarettes tend to lead normal lives, but people who are addicted to alcohol (ie, drunks) often don't. Cigarettes probably won't cause you to lose a job, but drinking easily can.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:04:30 pm »
True enough

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 06:05:29 am »
Heh, when I was living in Calgary I had a big bag of change I wanted to get rid of (I couldn't be bothered rolling all my pennies/nickles/dimes, and I was moving and didn't want to pack them), so I offered them to a homeless guy. He said something like, "Well, I was hoping for smokes, but that'll do".

I sort of have mixed feelings about that, though. If I give money to a homeless person, they'll probably use it to by alcohol/cigarettes/drugs, but does that really matter? I mean, if it gives them a little pleasure in their crappy lives, then maybe it isn't so bad, but if it's the reason their life sucks, then you aren't doing them any good.

For a while, I thought giving beggars money was the right thing to do. Now I pretty strongly believe that you make your own way in life. I don't buy into the whole "down on your luck" excuse. Everyone has bad luck at times, what matters is how you deal with that luck. If a homeless person doesn't know how to deal with the cards they've been dealt, giving them new cards (money) will only prolong that life lesson.

Don't confuse the way you get something done with what you're getting done. This guy's goal was to send a positive message by getting the kids attention with unusual behavior, IE: offering your robber a free dinner. Offering the free dinner was not the message itself, yet the tool used in which to deliver the message.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:15:07 am by Metal Militia »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 09:09:17 am »
I don't know about where you guys live, but around here I usually give homeless people some money.  Most of them are people that were in mental institutions until the 80s, which is when a LOT of the mental institutions around here closed.  Literally thousands of insane people (ranging from schizophrenia up to total delusions) were dumped onto the streets.  They don't get the care they need and are pretty incapable of caring for themselves.  It's the sane ones I tend to avoid, as half the time they are just panhandlers.

trust

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:45:23 am »
I don't give money away, especially to beggers. If you want to give money away, give it to somebody you know who is in a spot of misfortune so that you know what the money is being used for.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 11:56:10 am »
That's why I like to offer to buy them a coffee, especially when it's -40 out and they're standing on the street. That's tough! :)