Author Topic: Cigars?  (Read 12189 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Cigars?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2008, 10:05:02 am »
I've never heard about it, and I'm not aware of anybody doing it around here.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2008, 12:23:08 pm »
Heh, I had to check Urban Dictionary, then Wikipedia what I found there. :)

You don't know anyone that uses chewing tobacco?  I guess it's not super common around here either, but part of my beliefs on that is due to how little I pay attention. :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 12:25:19 pm »
Heh, I had to check Urban Dictionary, then Wikipedia what I found there. :)

You don't know anyone that uses chewing tobacco?  I guess it's not super common around here either, but part of my beliefs on that is due to how little I pay attention. :)

Nope, can't think of a single person here that does anything with tobacco besides smoking it (not counting gum/patches).

I'm not even sure where you'd buy that kind of thing here, or if anybody even sells it. I know that it's illegal in some countries due to health dangers (illegal in most of Europe, I read), maybe that's the cast here? Dunno.

trust

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2008, 12:38:30 pm »
Sell tobacco ON campus?!  Hell, we're all hippie like and banning smoking everywhere.  Maybe I'll check the store thing, see if they sell smokes or dip.  interesting

Yeah it's sold in two locations on campus: the bookstore and the student center/pub thing I talked about earlier. There was a huge student outcry when it was banned, and people met with the President and whatnot and it got reversed.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »
Nope, can't think of a single person here that does anything with tobacco besides smoking it (not counting gum/patches).

I'm not even sure where you'd buy that kind of thing here, or if anybody even sells it. I know that it's illegal in some countries due to health dangers (illegal in most of Europe, I read), maybe that's the cast here? Dunno.

Heh, has the same sorts of dangers as smoking.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:18 pm »
Similar, at least.

I'd bet that a lot of people who use it don't realize that, though.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 01:27:16 pm »
..Huh.. Interesting.. and I thought most everyone knew what it was... I've known what it was since I was in 7th grade.
I knew what chew and snuff were.  Never heard the term "dipping" before though.

Generally the risk of lip and mouth cancer are intensely amplified.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2008, 01:33:26 pm »
I'd bet that a lot of people who use it don't realize that, though.

I'm not so sure about that, but I wouldn't be too surprised to meet someone who thought it was "safer".

It was taught in the grade school "anti-drug" programs that it was no safer than smoking.  I know they did away with "D.A.R.E." because drug usage seemed to increase after it was introduced (lol), but I assume there's still some form of "drug education".

I knew what chew and snuff were.  Never heard the term "dipping" before though.

Haha, I've probably heard it because I went to a high school filled with hicks.

Generally the risk of lip and mouth cancer are intensely amplified.

Yeah, for sure, but neither of those are as dangerous as the most serious threat you encounter when you "dip": you look like a redneck.

trust

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2008, 02:01:32 pm »
it has it's own problems, but of course using smokeless tobacco doesn't hurt your lungs. Furthermore if you use snus, it's even safer than regular dip. It's made in Sweden and is steam cured instead of smoke cured so there are less carcinogenic  additives plus you keep it refrigerated which keeps some chemical reaction from happening which otherwise would cause some cancer causing chemical to form.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2008, 03:43:24 pm »
wtb a moderator to split this into a dipping thread

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2008, 03:59:07 pm »
ok, I give up, what's "wtb"?

And in any case, I think this thread is fine, the initial question was answered by the only people who could really provide an answer, and another discussion along the same lines continued, basically to a conclusion. If you split it now, you'd probably end up with two threads with no further traffic instead of one. :P

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:51 pm »
ok, I give up, what's "wtb"?

And in any case, I think this thread is fine, the initial question was answered by the only people who could really provide an answer, and another discussion along the same lines continued, basically to a conclusion. If you split it now, you'd probably end up with two threads with no further traffic instead of one. :P

We need more mods to catch these things earlier is what I'm getting at :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2008, 04:56:59 pm »
There wasn't really anything to catch, the conversation sort of shifted naturally, just like it does in real life.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2008, 05:14:46 pm »
it has it's own problems, but of course using smokeless tobacco doesn't hurt your lungs. Furthermore if you use snus, it's even safer than regular dip. It's made in Sweden and is steam cured instead of smoke cured so there are less carcinogenic  additives plus you keep it refrigerated which keeps some chemical reaction from happening which otherwise would cause some cancer causing chemical to form.
Plus, it's pansy as all get out.

...I do miss the taste of the tobacco when I drink sometimes, eh well, it was pricey (as is smoking).

trust

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2008, 05:18:23 pm »
Plus, it's pansy as all get out.

...I do miss the taste of the tobacco when I drink sometimes, eh well, it was pricey (as is smoking).

Nah it's just convenient. I've done skoal and like snus a lot more. It may be seen as "pansy" but you can do it anywhere, there's no mess, it's easy to drink since it's in your upper lip, and it's not as bad for you.

You can always smoke when you drink. I think overall people smoke more when they drink, and I don't know why. I know when I drink if I don't have any cigarettes on my own I'll bum some. I think I bummed 7 from a friend two Saturdays ago. When people are drunk though nobody cares about giving them out, and I know I've given out several to my friends and random people. I guess it's because the nicotine increases the effects of the alcohol.