Author Topic: Language Popularity  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Hell-Lord

• View Profile

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Language Popularity
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 01:11:50 pm »
GO VB!!!

err, wait.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:09:52 am »
I hope that's VB.NET. Which is almost a decent language. At least it compiles to CLR and not the interpreted mess that VB6 was.

I'm disappointed to not see C# rising, especially along with seeing C++ falling.

EDIT -
lol, I think I'll write a bot in PowerShell. Is it actually a language that can do stuff like that? It's in the 21-50 list.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:11:45 am by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:16:06 am »
PowerShell is a shell script, so I doubt it.  And last I checked, CLR was still an interpreted bytecode run by a VM.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:30:22 am »
PowerShell is a shell script, so I doubt it.  And last I checked, CLR was still an interpreted bytecode run by a VM.
CLR is generally just-in-time compiled to machine code, so that's not quite true.

Offline Hell-Lord

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:11:40 am »
The CLR's JIT compiler converts the CIL into native code. And yea it is basically a VM.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:02:16 am »
It's a VM in the sense that it provides services to the code that's executing in it.  For instance, memory allocation, garbage collection, RTTI, etc.  But to say that it's a VM in the strictest sense is probably innacurate; it's more akin to an extension of the Win32 loader in that, in addition to things like automatic relocation, it also performs compilation.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 05:33:44 pm »
PowerShell is a shell script, so I doubt it.

Not *quite* true, the cmdlets that PowerShell uses are .NET classes. You can use scripting languages, amongst other things to link them together. It's a really flexible environment.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:01:19 pm »
It's a VM in the sense that it provides services to the code that's executing in it.  For instance, memory allocation, garbage collection, RTTI, etc.  But to say that it's a VM in the strictest sense is probably innacurate; it's more akin to an extension of the Win32 loader in that, in addition to things like automatic relocation, it also performs compilation.

Java has HotSpot (which does the exact same thing), but you don't see anyone arguing that it isn't still a VM. By the same token, the native equivalent of .NET code is still running in a VM, because, while application code isn't interpreted, it still isn't self-sufficient. At least in my book, that's the mark of a VM: a machine that visualizes an environment.

I think that most people who see the letters VM and cringe simply don't understand what the term refers to. Virtualization and abstraction are basically synonymous. You can probably guess, for example, that there are several layers of abstraction between your hard-drive's physical platters and the pins on the outside of the box alone. You could say that the black-box is a VM to the storage media. Then there's further abstraction between the ribbon cable and the CPU (the ATA controllers), and in the operating system (the filesystem decoders), and the application software (fopen(), write(), etc).

Frankly, tagging one more level of abstraction (wrapping OS API calls) is hardly something to cringe at.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!