Author Topic: Daughter Dies as Parents Pray  (Read 5359 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Daughter Dies as Parents Pray
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 08:17:15 am »
I like to think that a god would give us free will, which is something metaphysical that he wouldn't be able to influence/predict.
But is he powerful enough to create a will that even he cannot influence?!?

by your powers combined

Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Heart?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 08:36:20 am »
No...."I am CAPTAIN PLANET!"

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 01:49:18 am »
I can't load that page cause my interweb is wtf'd, but I believe they were Christian Scientists. Ever heard the song "The God Who Failed"?
Is that the God that failed at teaching you so he kicked you out of the church for a year?

;) <3
God doesn't fail at teaching.

God is infallible.  hmmm.  SO, God must have PURPOSEFULLY made Joe turn out how he did.  :o
"Turn out how he did"?  I don't understand how you know how Joe "turned out".  He isn't an adult yet, he is still growing and still maturing.  He has yet to turn out.  And God is infallible.

Hey, we here on earth have these things. They're called jokes.
Some speculate that they may be humorous.

lolol

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 03:09:04 am »
Man, this is just like this one episode of Law & Order: SVU.  Damn.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:23 am »
Man, this is just like this one episode of Law & Order: SVU.  Damn.

Heh, this type of thing has happened before, I'm pretty sure.  The majority of their plots I'm familiar with tend to come from bizarre news stories.  I like that show, but, man, sometimes it's so depressing. :(

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 06:40:11 pm »
Heh, this type of thing has happened before, I'm pretty sure.  The majority of their plots I'm familiar with tend to come from bizarre news stories.  I like that show, but, man, sometimes it's so depressing. :(
Heh, I hate SVU. Too many episodes make others ways of life/cultures look bad. The show is totally to put forward the writer's/director's/somebody's beliefs. :)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 02:00:06 am »
Heh, I hate SVU. Too many episodes make others ways of life/cultures look bad. The show is totally to put forward the writer's/director's/somebody's beliefs. :)

Yeah, cuz man, my way of life of molesting children, raping women, killing babies, committing incest, etc. shouldn't look bad?  Examples please.

Alright I'm exaggerating, I'm sure there's maybe a handful of episodes that might unjustly interpret one's culture, but overall there aren't many I don't think.  Of course I don't watch the new stuff.  I'm always a couple seasons behind at any given point.  The only episodes I can think of that can even remotely support your claim is the episodes where the premise has to do with Islam or Muslims in American society.  Albeit, I consider this a stretch because I'd argue that the majority of the intended audience (Americans) agrees that things like Honor Killings are wrong and the inequality towards women in Muslim societies is wrong.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:04:26 am by Michael »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 08:24:59 am »
Yeah, cuz man, my way of life of molesting children, raping women, killing babies, committing incest, etc. shouldn't look bad?  Examples please.
Warning: spoilers.

They had an episode about polygamy. They made it sound like it was this totally freakish thing. Then it turned out that one of his wives killed the other out of jealousy, proving that polygamy is bad.

There was an episode about a girl in her 20s who, due to a birth defect, looked like she was 12-14. They made her boyfriend out to be a total sicko, because he was essentially molesting a child, even though he wasn't. He ended up being found not guilty, but they still portrayed him in an extremely negative light.

I saw an episode recently about a Jewish community that kidnapped a kid. They portrayed the Jewish community in a negative light, showing how one of the members would rather be thought a paedophile than show that he had a girlfriend. Even though the episode ended up having absolutely nothing to do with that guy, it was a sidestory that did nothing but reflect badly on the Jewish community.

Those are three instance that I've noticed, the first two probably being the best examples. Keep in mind that I don't really watch this show so I've only seen maybe 10 episodes.