Author Topic: Seeking legal advice..  (Read 19927 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Seeking legal advice..
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 04:30:38 pm »
Stupid question -- this isn't a Canadian law and order, is it? :P
You're right, it was a stupid question.
Haha

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 01:16:28 am »
So I guess what I'm going to do is plead not guilty and get a court date. From there, I'll tell then that I was only going 55 and can produce a witness, as well as prove that the cars speedometer is accurate (only if they challenge this, I don't want to sound arrogant). I'll also challenge the "work zone" aspect.

From there, I'm not sure if they can give me a ticket for speeding in a non-work zone, as it's a separate citation, but if they do then whatever. I'll probably lose my license either way, but it's less points, lower fine, and I'll feel better knowing the system didn't walk over my ass like they enjoy doing. :)

EDIT -
I'll also mention that the officer didn't tell me why he pulled me over. I asked why as I reached for my license and he asked me how fast I was going, which I responded "55". He said I was going 60, and mentioned nothing of the work zone. He gave me a citation (which I didn't read, it was dark, 1:02AM, and I wanted to get away from the cop) and I saw it said "work zone" the next day. I'm not sure if that counts for anything, since I was supposed to read the citation, but oh well.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:18:15 am by Joe »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 05:07:18 pm »
- I was driving after midnight, where my license is restricted to 5AM to Midnight (Can I be convicted for that post ex facto?)
Your case will get completely thrown out of court, and I'd bet you anything you'd get charged with that.

Don't even BOTHER trying to fight this one. You're lucky he didn't even notice when he stopped you and looked at your license. Pay the ticket.

BTW, radar guns don't lie. Especially the ones State Troopers carry.

What you did was basically drive without a license. It's the same thing. You are not legally allowed to operate a vehicle during those times, so why were you in the first place?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:12:49 pm by Killer360 »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 05:22:21 pm »
What you did was basically drive without a license. It's the same thing. You are not legally allowed to operate a vehicle during those times, so why were you in the first place?
Not to mention drawing attention to himself by speeding.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 01:29:24 am »
- I was driving after midnight, where my license is restricted to 5AM to Midnight (Can I be convicted for that post ex facto?)
Your case will get completely thrown out of court, and I'd bet you anything you'd get charged with that.

Don't even BOTHER trying to fight this one. You're lucky he didn't even notice when he stopped you and looked at your license. Pay the ticket.

BTW, radar guns don't lie. Especially the ones State Troopers carry.

State Troopers like to use a little trick, where they follow you maintaining the same speed that you are and then look at their speedometer. That's what most of them do, and it's inaccurate, up to.. say.. five miles an hour or so?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 05:11:19 am »
State Troopers like to use a little trick, where they follow you maintaining the same speed that you are and then look at their speedometer. That's what most of them do, and it's inaccurate, up to.. say.. five miles an hour or so?

Neat thing we've invented, is the radar gun that doesn't need to be stationary.

Do you have proof that the officer was following you?  Or had he clocked you?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
Joe, you're just going to end up getting yourself in more and more trouble. You could VERY well end up losing your license.

It should say on your ticket what method he used. Which one was it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:56:59 pm by Killer360 »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 03:58:07 pm »
I think he should totally go in with that attitude.  Sooner or later he's going to have to figure out that he can't live his life that way.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 04:46:02 pm »
be sure to tell us the results of your hearing
i'll probably need a laugh that day
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 09:12:07 pm »
He's going to lose his case, and I'd bet you anything he's going to lose his license.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 09:50:44 pm »

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200rtp&bikeSection=tour Look at the "standard equipment" section under the pull down tab. If you look at the bottom of the list of equipment you will see these two at the bottom are "Pace-Lock Speedometer," and "Calibrated Police Speedometer." 
Those R 1200 RT-P are the police bikes we've got in town. I highly doubt that they, or any other cops, would be very inaccurate.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:52:16 pm by Super_X »

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 09:56:40 pm »
oklahoma drivers are the worste we've got around here. well, asians are way worse, but just because they drive horribly slow. the okies, in thier okie-mobiles, try to act like they're used to city driving but they just don't seem to get it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:58:11 pm by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 10:53:26 pm »
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with warz. We have the WORST Asian drivers here in Winnipeg. They PISS ME OFF...

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 11:21:16 pm »
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with warz. We have the WORST Asian drivers here in Winnipeg. They PISS ME OFF...
what's with it with Asian Canadian drivers?  This is like the millionth Canuckian I've heard complain about how horrible Asian drivers are there.  There's too few Asian drivers where I live to make any generalizations.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 11:23:08 pm by Michael »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 01:07:04 am »
I'd have to complain about Europeans more than Asians in the GTA.  They're an angry set of people.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...