Author Topic: age of conan  (Read 30077 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
age of conan
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:01:38 pm »
anyone else playing it? its pretty badass. rated teen, and has a lot of action. definitely more my style, over wow. the combat system is fucking badass.

server: deathwhisper
name: griff
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: age of conan
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:48 pm »
I've heard very little about the game, other than one of my buddies in my COD4 CAL team was downloading the advanced copy which caused him to be the lagiest scope I've ever seen.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:18:12 pm »
It is rated Mature.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:10:40 pm »
It is rated Mature.

thatswhatimeant

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:28:25 pm »
A lot of my friends at school have moved from wow to aoc.  I haven't decided if I'm going to play it anymore or not. :\

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 03:40:28 pm »
AoC is amazing, after I get hit by the WoW banwave of 08 (along with 375k other people?) I moved over to this yesterday. Level 16 Assassin on US PVP-Sourge.

Name's Screenor. ;)

What level are you, warz?

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 03:49:41 pm »
i took a few days break from aoc, in hopes that they fixed some of their major bugs. they haven't fixed anything, yet, but i'm going to start playing again today. i'm still only 21, i think. i'm on deathwhisper, though, along with cefx.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 11:26:31 pm »
yeah, taking a break helped a little bit. i think i expected too much from the game right away. too much wow had me spoiled.

the game isn't so bad, it just need a big UI makeover, and some other minor tweaks.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:30:29 pm »
So is it worth picking up?  I'm thinking I'll probably take up this or WoW for the summer, depending on whether or not I'll have enough time, and I'm pretty sure I will.  Would you recommend this, WoW, or maybe some other game that could keep my attention for a few months?

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 03:21:13 am »
um, depends. if you dont mind putting up with a 'just released' game, then aoc is pretty fun. its much more casual than wow is. you level much quicker. but, i'm not sure how much content there is. there's a lot of complaints about the lack of high level content, right now. its a fun game though. im enjoying it right now.

if you ask me, wow is old, and has been old and repetitive for about a year, now. i dont know about any other games right now, on pc, but id suggest giving aoc a chance if your rig can handle it.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:22:10 am »
I'd definitely say AoC, Sidoh. I was actually going to AIM you about it a few days ago telling you to get it. Sucks that all of us will probably end up playing on different servers though.  :'(

Anyway, yeah. Besides a HUGE number of bugs, AoC > WoW by a long shot.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 09:32:39 am »
Wrath of the Lich King. Age of Conan will be a distant memory by then.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 10:03:35 am »
What does WoTLK have that AoC doesn't already?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:11:18 pm »

about 9.5 million people
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:36 pm »
Does AoC have a free trial like WoW does?  I'd really like to give it a try, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to pay for a month of access I won't use if I end up not liking it.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »
it does, but you have to buy the game. the first month is free. there's no free download, yet.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 01:50:25 pm »
a simple "no" would of sufficed

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 01:55:45 pm »

about 9.5 million people
Yeah, disregard the fact that that's spread out across the entire world. Content wise however it has nothing.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 01:56:50 pm »
it does, but you have to buy the game. the first month is free. there's no free download, yet.

Ah, okay.  Well, at least I wouldn't have to blow an extra $15 just to find out if I like it.  I think I might pick it up later today, but I don't think I'll be able to install it for a few weeks.  I'm stuck in a hotel until the house I'm renting for the summer is ready to move into.

On a side note, can you dl WoW/BC from like a torrent or something and use it to install the game?  I left my disks at home. :(

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 02:01:28 pm »
Does AoC have a free trial like WoW does?  I'd really like to give it a try, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to pay for a month of access I won't use if I end up not liking it.
^ this

I wasn't terribly excited about AoC comming out like many were so I'm going to wait for a free trial before I decide whether or not to sink money into it. Games don't usually offer the free trial right away, so I figure by the time they do most of the major bugs will be fixed (hopefully)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 02:03:29 pm »
^ this

I wasn't terribly excited about AoC comming out like many were so I'm going to wait for a free trial before I decide whether or not to sink money into it. Games don't usually offer the free trial right away, so I figure by the time they do most of the major bugs will be fixed (hopefully)

Heh, yeah, that's a good point.  I kind of get the impression that the bugs are really going to bog down the enjoyment of the game.  Still, though, it's what, like $50?  I'll spend that to try it out.  If it doesn't work out, I think I'll probably do WoW.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 02:33:15 pm »
On a side note, can you dl WoW/BC from like a torrent or something and use it to install the game?  I left my disks at home. :(
There's a link to download the full client in the account management page

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:08 pm »

about 9.5 million people
Yeah, disregard the fact that that's spread out across the entire world. Content wise however it has nothing.

and that somehow downplays that figure? who cares how you spin it?
Are you going to deny that World of Warcraft's massive playerbase wont be a factor in it's upcoming expansion? Need I remind you Burning Crusade sold 2.4million copies in 24 hours.

Content wise, no MMO holds a candle to World of Warcraft -- especially in PvE raiding. I watched PvE videos in Age of Conan, it seemed like a cheap imitation and did not fit well with the game.

Sorry, but from what I saw in the Wrath leaked Alpha -- we are in very very good hands. Age of Conan will have it's place, it just won't be number one.
There's been many MMOs who were supposed to be the end of WoW (Fury, Lord of the Rings Online, the upcoming Warhammer, etc) and none with maybe the exception of WAR will turn into anything.

I played previous MMOs by the Age of Conan developers, Anarchy Online was absolute crap. It had good ideas, but the execution was piss poor.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:48 pm »

about 9.5 million people

ps you're wrong

just to prove how wrong you are I did a survey:

(5:13:00 PM) Warrior: so WOTLK.. great expansion or greatest expansion
(5:13:10 PM) Medon (WoW): greatest.

100% of the people I asked agree with me. 0% agree with you.

edit: I drew you a chart, from now on I will refer to this chart as statistical evidence:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:53:47 pm by Warrior »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 03:39:02 pm »

about 9.5 million people

ps you're wrong

edit: I drew you a chart, from now on I will refer to this chart as statistical evidence:

I hereby register my agreement with whoever it is you're calling "you". Please update your statistics accordingly.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 03:41:21 pm »

about 9.5 million people

ps you're wrong

I hereby register my agreement with whoever it is you're calling "you". Please update your statistics accordingly.

no

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 03:45:51 pm »
no

Then I call your methodology into question, rendering your conclusion worthless. Err, worthlesser.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 04:01:05 pm »
no

Then I call your methodology into question, rendering your conclusion worthless. Err, worthlesser.

no

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 04:10:50 pm »
no

no
Then I call your methodology into question, rendering your conclusion worth.... err, feeling some serious deja vu here...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 04:14:55 pm »
So I picked it up earlier today.  Like I said, though, I don't think I'll have a chance to try it out for a little while.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 04:29:45 pm »
no

no
Then I call your methodology into question, rendering your conclusion worth.... err, feeling some serious deja vu here...

get out

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 04:31:12 pm »
Yeah, Blizzard allows you to download the full client from their website.

Sure, WoW has millions of subscribers... four years later. AoC has been retail for one week. Their launch went insanely smooth, with only one period of extended down time. The game gets a little credit from me, for that. Especially when I recall WoW's launch, which ended up being so poor that Blizzard decided to give subscribers a free monoth of game time.

When it comes to AoC's PvE content, there's plenty. At launch the game included like 4-5 level 80 dungeons, and like 20 or so in grand total. This is all for a game thats main focus was PvP anyways. We're not even including guild keeps, and siege combat - player keeps are being implemented soon.

With all of these good things to look forward to, though, they're still all overshadowed by the fact that it's FunCom running the show. FunCom plain sucks when it comes to customer relations. They've got a horrible track record with this, too. Sadly, it's starting to look no different than what I've heard about AO. They also did a bait-and-switch with the DX10 functionality. They marketed the game as some huge DX10 thing, and the day before retail launch, they announced that it doesn't even have DX10 functionality yet, but will in a few months.

Although Warrior is comparing a game that has been out for four years, and is made by probably the most respected game writing company there is to a game that has been out for a week, by FunCom... I do agree that if AoC does not fix some things quickly, and if FunCom doesn't do some sort of damage control, then WotLK will be the nail in the coffin for this game. Also, that AoC probably won't ever reach the success that WoW has reached. I've also heard tons of good things about WAR, with its RvR combat.

Edit: Still, though... WoW is just the same shit, another day kind of thing. It's so old and repetitive that I can't even stand it. So I doubt I'll even be trying the expansion. I'm looking forward to Warhammer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 04:34:57 pm by warz »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »
Sure, WoW has millions of subscribers... four years later. AoC has been retail for one week. Their launch went insanely smooth, with only one period of extended down time. The game gets a little credit from me, for that. Especially when I recall WoW's launch, which ended up being so poor that Blizzard decided to give subscribers a free monoth of game time.

That's not the point, the point is that the subscriber base (which is very loyal) will snuff the life out of Age of Conan's potential lead come Wrath of the Lich King. I pointed out that Burning Crusade sold 2.4 million in 24 hours, and since then the games base has grown by about 4 million.

Use this to draw your own conclusions.

When it comes to AoC's PvE content, there's plenty. At launch the game included like 4-5 level 80 dungeons, and like 20 or so in grand total. This is all for a game thats main focus was PvP anyways. We're not even including guild keeps, and siege combat - player keeps are being implemented soon.

Quantity does not have priority over quality, from what I saw the PvE content looked very stale.

Although Warrior is comparing a game that has been out for four years, and is made by probably the most respected game writing company there is to a game that has been out for a week, by FunCom... I do agree that if AoC does not fix some things quickly, and if FunCom doesn't do some sort of damage control, then WotLK will be the nail in the coffin for this game. Also, that AoC probably won't ever reach the success that WoW has reached. I've also heard tons of good things about WAR, with its RvR combat.

Edit: Still, though... WoW is just the same shit, another day kind of thing. It's so old and repetitive that I can't even stand it. So I doubt I'll even be trying the expansion. I'm looking forward to Warhammer.

WoTLK looks very different, Blizzard went back to it's roots and the game is chock full of lore. The environments are HUGE (Again, northrend is over 2x larger than outlands by my calculations) and judging just from the world design the game is poised to be a much better expansion than Burning Crusade.

I'm extremely impressed with the graphical quality of WoW in the expansions, they added a bunch of new shaders for things like ice and fire which look phenomenal.

Also, if you have not done so -- I suggest you read up on how they're changing raiding with WoTLK.

Either way, I'm not saying I hate Age of Conan -- in fact I'm quite impressed by it. The problem is that it had some very bad timing so it will need to gather it's own niche market quickly before Wrath completely wipes it off the internet.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 05:15:18 pm »
Age of Conan?  More like Age of Guildwars 2.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 05:41:34 pm »
I should mention that the release of WotLK will have no effect on my decision.  I'm only playing for the summer.  I'll have 0 time once school starts back up again, as I'll probably have the busiest semester I've ever had.

Either way, I bought AoC, so I'll be giving it a try shortly.  I may or may not renew my WoW account too.  If I do, I'll make a new thread in the WoW boards to see what servers people are on.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »
eh, only time will tell. but that's still almost half a year of time... in which i'll be playing aoc. :P

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »

about 9.5 million people

ps you're wrong

1. Says you.
2. That's...not...funny. Sorry.

WoW doesn't exactly have a lot of instance content if you actually use your head and think about it. Since Naxx there has been nothing new as far as boss fights go, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that seeing as though you've never been into Naxx. Much less attuned for it.

Also, as far as "stale" content goes, the raids in AoC actually keep you moving, it's not "hey lets sit around for 10 minutes between each pull waiting for health to regen". You're CONSTANTLY pulling mobs, and constantly fighting something. There's no time to go "afk" for a few minutes to take a shit.

Blaze: Guild Wars and AoC are nothing a like, I have them both, trust me.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 09:33:01 pm »
aoc does provide a full world atmosphere. you just have to get out of the 1-20 newbie zone before you see it. ive been running around questing all day, and hardly remember the last time i changed zones. servers are going down early tomorrow morning, again, for another patch and more server fixes - can't wait to see what they fixed.

the aoc forums are hilarious, though. i could easily spend hours on there hitting refresh every 10 seconds. so many troll posts going on right now. it's like the battle of the trolls - even warrior would be highly outtrolled.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:39:38 pm by warz »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 10:07:12 pm »
1. Says you.

I found it rather hilarious, you see I knew from your first response to me you'd respond in a heated manner. You took the bait quite nicely, I'm only interested in having a discussion with warz, think of the chart as me politely brushing you off.

WoW doesn't exactly have a lot of instance content if you actually use your head and think about it. Since Naxx there has been nothing new as far as boss fights go, but I wouldn't expect you to understand that seeing as though you've never been into Naxx. Much less attuned for it.

Haha, is this your way of striking back? I give you pure genius (Actually not really, I recycled this same troll from Joe -- but whatever I don't feel like coming up with new content for someone who posts here maybe once a year), and you respond with "you have not seen the same pixels I have seen".

Well played. Well not really, but after all the insults I thought a compliment of sorts was in order.

Come on, let's be realistic: You're trying to justify your spending of money on a game which will  be remembered in history as "just another MMORPG".
It's pretty cute though, so by all means go on.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 10:08:24 pm »
the aoc forums are hilarious, though. i could easily spend hours on there hitting refresh every 10 seconds. so many troll posts going on right now. it's like the battle of the trolls - even warrior would be highly outtrolled.

lol, so you've gone from crazy (buying Age of Conan) to outright insane (suggesting that someone actually exists who can out troll me).

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 10:13:21 pm »
lol, so you've gone from crazy (buying Age of Conan) to outright insane (suggesting that someone actually exists who can out troll me).

it wasn't so long ago when you were highly pumped up about purchasing aoc, too. you've yet to witness the aoc forums, also, so you can't even comment on this. but, the wow forum trolls basically get sent back to wow because they can't even troll as good as the terribles.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »

it wasn't so long ago when you were highly pumped up about purchasing aoc, too. you've yet to witness the aoc forums, also, so you can't even comment on this. but, the wow forum trolls basically get sent back to wow because they can't even troll as good as the terribles.

I do like AoC, but I know that it's not better than World of Warcraft -- and I know that it better get a decent user base before Wrath comes out.
Again, the mere thought of someone outclassing me in trolling is laughable. I've existed for thousands upon thousands of years with no rival, what makes this any different?

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 10:37:50 pm »
1. Says you.

I found it rather hilarious, you see I knew from your first response to me you'd respond in a heated manner. You took the bait quite nicely, I'm only interested in having a discussion with warz, think of the chart as me politely brushing you off.

Haha, is this your way of striking back? I give you pure genius (Actually not really, I recycled this same troll from Joe -- but whatever I don't feel like coming up with new content for someone who posts here maybe once a year), and you respond with "you have not seen the same pixels I have seen".

Well played. Well not really, but after all the insults I thought a compliment of sorts was in order.

Come on, let's be realistic: You're trying to justify your spending of money on a game which will  be remembered in history as "just another MMORPG".
Why would I be heated? You're the one who's raged over the whole subject. I win either way you look at it because you're arguing with me over this. :P

I could honestly care less if WoW somehow were better than AoC, but from my experience (and I have a lot of it when it comes to WoW, seeing as I started playing back in like 1.3), AoC is better. However, it did take me till I got banned from WoW to realize this, but hey, better late than never.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 10:38:27 pm »
This thread is pretty confusing. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 11:31:18 pm »
This thread is pretty confusing. :)

i said get out

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2008, 11:32:20 pm »
1. Says you.

Why would I be heated? You're the one who's raged over the whole subject. I win either way you look at it because you're arguing with me over this. :P

I could honestly care less if WoW somehow were better than AoC, but from my experience (and I have a lot of it when it comes to WoW, seeing as I started playing back in like 1.3), AoC is better. However, it did take me till I got banned from WoW to realize this, but hey, better late than never.

experience does not equal the amount of time you've been at something.

for example you're like ten or eleven years  old, yet i've met five year olds with more common sense than you
so that alone invalidates your argument

you should leave now

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 02:43:41 am »
Ofcourse AoC isn't better than WoW - it just came out a week ago. :P

edit: a new thought. i may try reverse engineering aoc. if the currently existing issues with the game are any testiment to the game's internals, it may not be that tough. :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:08:35 am by warz »

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 09:15:13 am »
warz, you must answer this with 100% honesty. I'm getting pretty bored on wow, I'm a shaman with 900+ dps enhance gear, around 1400 healing gear, and pvp elemental gear. Whatever spec I try I still seem to get pretty bored. Should I roll another class or try AoC?
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline SNiFFeR

• Sexy
    • View Profile
    • k
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 11:31:34 am »
warz, you must answer this with 100% honesty. I'm getting pretty bored on wow, I'm a shaman with 900+ dps enhance gear, around 1400 healing gear, and pvp elemental gear. Whatever spec I try I still seem to get pretty bored. Should I roll another class or try AoC?

Roll another class faggot.

Offtopic: WTB geared WoW players horde daggerspine pst me.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 12:03:08 pm »

um, depends if you're bored of your shaman, or bored of wow. for me, i was bored of wow. aoc is fun, and today's patch fixed some graphical issues and has increased my fps enough to allow me to run the game on high settings. so it doesn't really require the huge rig that people thought it initially did.

aoc doesn't currently have the traders working, which are the equiv. of wow's auction house. also, you cannot send in-game mail, yet either. these are both being worked on. these will be huge fixes, and boost the game's economy and community. they're supposedly almost fixed. they were taken down because a dupe exploit was found using the traders. these will probably be up within the week,

with that said, aoc is entirely more fun than wow is right now, to me. i'm having fun questing, because for the most part they're all new mobs, new tasks, new zones - there is still the classic "kill x amount of wolves" quests, though! :P the pvp is said to be superior in aoc, but i haven't really witnessed much of it. i try to avoid pvp because it kind of feels clunky to me, due to the active combat + button combo things required to execute combos attacks. the game is highly violent with heads being chopped off and throats being slashed, and has chicks running around with no shirts on, so you dont feel like youre playing some child's game like you do with wow.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:17:47 pm by warz »

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 12:22:37 pm »
I get "bored" of WoW, but I usually just go respec, roll another class or PvP.

*shrug*

70 Healadin
70 Resto Dr00d
62 ShS Rogue
48 Enhance Shaman
43 Shadow Priest
39 MM Hunter
30 Fury Warrior

I've got a few others, can't think of them off the top of my head.

[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 01:43:37 pm »
just taking a quick glance at the logon packets, the protocol looks very simple.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 03:42:04 pm »
1. Says you.

for example you're like ten or eleven years  old, yet i've met five year olds with more common sense than you

you should leave now
Umm, I was "ten or eleven" somewhere around six years ago. Common sense has nothing to do with anything we're talking about here, stay on topic.

Krazed, unless your computer is somewhere along the lines of god like, don't try AoC. If you think it can handle it though I'd recommend giving it a go.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 04:16:50 pm »
err, you don't need a god like rig to run aoc. their patch this morning, and there's another one currently being published, helped my fps out a whole lot. i've got 2GB of RAM, 2.20 GHz dual core processor and an old 512MB video card, and i'm running the game on high settings getting about 30 fps constantly.

the game looks identical on minimal settings, too, but you just don't have the distance viewable thing - for example, the terrain abruptly ends somewhere in front of you. (it's not even that bad)

i'd say the recommended specs are about accurate now, for a tweaked high settings setup.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 04:48:31 pm »
yay, the traders and banks were fixed today! for the first time since release, this game will actually have an economy now! :)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 05:05:26 pm »
lol, how are you playing? Server's aren't even up yet.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2008, 05:06:34 pm »
oh, i'm not playing right now. just trolling the forums, and chilling on gamesurge. the patch notes were released, though.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2008, 05:10:31 pm »
Oh. And eww @ Gaysurge.

LCIRC is where it's at.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2008, 05:32:13 pm »
Man, I just learned about the active shield system. Maybe I'll quit getting pwnd in pvp, now.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2008, 05:47:25 pm »
lol, yeah the shield system is pretty awesome but in the heat of battle I don't have time to be holding control and double tapping a w or d constantly. So I just leave my shield evenly balanced.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:07 pm »
1. Says you.

you should leave now
Umm, I was "ten or eleven" somewhere around six years ago. Common sense has nothing to do with anything we're talking about here, stay on topic.

Krazed, unless your computer is somewhere along the lines of god like, don't try AoC. If you think it can handle it though I'd recommend giving it a go.

lol, how about from now on you let warz do the arguing. you're really bad.

"this has nothing to do with common sense"
you must have no friends

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:04 pm »
in regards to aoc hacking, it looks like cooldowns and cast-rates are all handled client-side. is funcom serious? lol. i can't believe i haven't seem people abusing this like crazy. (although i dont know what kind of anti-cheat software is being used here, if any)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »
hey warz, you should send me an AIM message. I have a status code for AoC to give you an in game item or something.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2008, 09:42:34 am »
in regards to aoc hacking, it looks like cooldowns and cast-rates are all handled client-side. is funcom serious? lol. i can't believe i haven't seem people abusing this like crazy. (although i dont know what kind of anti-cheat software is being used here, if any)

Nevermind about Age of Guildwars 2, this is Age of Guildwars Open-Alpha. :P

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2008, 04:13:43 pm »
1. Says you.

you should leave now

you must have no friends
More than you'd imagine, actually.

But that's also besides the point, fact is, AoC is amazing. I know an entire guild from Thrall server that the majority of them are selling their accounts and playing AoC for. Don't criticize a game you've never even played before.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2008, 05:32:17 pm »
1. Says you.

you should leave now

you must have no friends

But that's also besides the point, fact is, AoC is amazing. I know an entire guild from Thrall server that the majority of them are selling their accounts and playing AoC for. Don't criticize a game you've never even played before.

lol you try really hard to sound dumb

the fruits of your labor are ripe

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2008, 05:46:43 pm »
1. Says you.

you should leave now

you must have no friends

You're such an lol terribad troll. Seriously, go to the myg0t forums if you want some competition.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2008, 06:52:55 pm »
1. Says you.

you should leave now

you must have no friends

You're such an lol terribad troll. Seriously, go to the myg0t forums if you want some competition.

no but really, why are you here

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:09 pm »
I like to come back to my roots every once and a while. Nothing wrong with that. Regardless of how immature I was, it's still fun to check up on what everyone's doing.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
I like to come back to my roots every once and a while. Nothing wrong with that. Regardless of how immature I was, it's still fun to check up on what everyone's doing.

"was" is past tense

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2008, 01:41:01 am »
you know, chillin... looking over the area where our guild keep is about to be built...

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 07:01:44 am »

"was" is past tense

Yep, it is.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 01:37:06 pm »
man, aoc's network protocol is weird. it's like an xml'd version of battle.net's. there's a string length identifier, followed by a string, followed by a value. and that repeats itself for more values. so it's like...

00 00 00 0E "SomeIdentifier" 00 01

so, 01 is the value that corresponds to SomeIdentifier. although, none of these value names really mean anything to me yet, but i thought this was an interesting approach. it's funny, too, because the identifier for the password's SHA1 result has a blank identifier, or whatever. woulda been funny to see "PasswordSHA1".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:40:32 pm by warz »

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2008, 04:54:39 pm »

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2008, 01:14:17 am »
nobody else laughed? fuck yal.. ive so far made a hack that remove combo cooldown, and also another one that makes the game think youve completed any combo.so its one button pressed for a combo.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2008, 09:25:28 am »
Heh, that's pretty cool, Warz.  It's kinda sad that they made it that easy (by making some of the stuff client-side, I mean).

Do you have a "favorite" class?  So far, I've only tried Dark Templar and Assassin.  I was thinking I'd try a mage-type class later on.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2008, 11:35:06 am »
You should stick to one class and play it, Sidoh. You really don't get an actual feel for a class till 40+. That's when they really start to shine so I've heard.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »
You should stick to one class and play it, Sidoh. You really don't get an actual feel for a class till 40+. That's when they really start to shine so I've heard.
You have to play a class that long to get a feel for whether you like it or not? ouch

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2008, 12:17:05 pm »
I'm sure that's true to a degree, but I'm not trying to master the class.  I'm just trying to get a general feel about how they work.

I tried Demonologist.  I liked it, but I think I liked Dark Templar more.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »
You have to play a class that long to get a feel for whether you like it or not? ouch

Usually MMOs which fall into the "other" category are not very well engineered.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2008, 04:35:37 pm »

It's the same way with WoW. You don't normally get 90% of your skills till 30-40. Every mmo is like that.

Hitmen: It's not so much whether you like it or not as much as it is how the class plays against others. For instance I'm an assassin, so I don't do well against Conquerors/Barbarians. My class is designed to kill other cloth/light armor wearing classes and that's it.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »

It's the same way with WoW. You don't normally get 90% of your skills till 30-40. Every mmo is like that.

Hitmen: It's not so much whether you like it or not as much as it is how the class plays against others. For instance I'm an assassin, so I don't do well against Conquerors/Barbarians. My class is designed to kill other cloth/light armor wearing classes and that's it.

Does every other MMO also do client side calculations of spells? I'll give you a hint: no

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
Dungeon Siege was the last game that I remember doing this, and it died a horrible horrible death. Dungeon Siege also did everything else client-side, too - including character storage, etc, so you could just edit your character's data file and give yourself everything. Everything short of god mode. lol.

edit: lol @ http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1355/lilironyxy1.jpg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:11:06 pm by warz »

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2008, 08:23:31 pm »
Dungeon Siege was the last game that I remember doing this, and it died a horrible horrible death. Dungeon Siege also did everything else client-side, too - including character storage, etc, so you could just edit your character's data file and give yourself everything. Everything short of god mode. lol.

Haha, I remember DS.  :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2008, 10:13:18 pm »

DS wasn't an MMO. If anything, it resembled Diablo II.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2008, 12:16:35 am »
well that's why i didn't call it an mmo now did i?! JESUS.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2008, 12:37:20 am »
Seemed like you responded to warrior. My mistake nigga. Jeez.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2008, 11:45:01 am »
well that's why i didn't call it an mmo now did i?! JESUS.

newby's statement still stands, ds is irrelevant to my argument

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2008, 01:40:08 pm »
sure it does. it was an online game that was supposed to be badass, and for the most part was, but died quickly because of exploits. mmorpg or not.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2008, 02:05:28 pm »
Yeah, I definitely think it applies.  The MMO condition was artificially introduced and isn't really that relevant.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2008, 04:27:03 pm »
Yeah, I definitely think it applies.  The MMO condition was artificially introduced and isn't really that relevant.

your kind of logic lends itself pretty well to an apples vs oranges comparison imo
mmo is a different beast than a traditional rpg, and therefore requires special care in ensuring its success

this is the point I was trying to (albeit sarcastically) make, it's very indicative of the amount of support a
company is willing to put into a game if there are not even basic security measures taken. this is especially true of an mmo, where you interact with other users over a network.

you're basically giving away your credit card information to a company, and it's evident that security is an afterthought if even a thought at all in their development process.

so my question is, how many other mmos do client side calculations of spells yet remain successful? not many, and it's because of the reasons I outlined.
other genres remaining successful or not are irrelevant because the chemistry involved is quite different.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2008, 04:59:43 pm »
I'm hesitant to have any kind of serious conversation with you on the forums, but I'll go until it becomes obvious that you're trolling.

mmo is a different beast than a traditional rpg, and therefore requires special care in ensuring its success

Absolutely, but the particular detail we're discussing is universally important in the world of multiplayer games.  If the game is easy to exploit, there are going to be easy-to-use hacks that ruin the fun of the majority.

this is the point I was trying to (albeit sarcastically) make, it's very indicative of the amount of support a
company is willing to put into a game if there are not even basic security measures taken. this is especially true of an mmo, where you interact with other users over a network.

I agree, to a point.  Here's something that's important to consider, I think: they may have been on a budget or a deadline and were unable to "get around to" putting a great deal of effort into taking security precautions.  I understand that there's a certain amount of good development practices that can help avoid introducing vulnerabilities that was clearly lacking here.  The design decision to make casting time, etc, handled locally was probably a really dumb idea.

you're basically giving away your credit card information to a company, and it's evident that security is an afterthought if even a thought at all in their development process.

I agree.  It's kinda messed up that they made some of the calls they did.

so my question is, how many other mmos do client side calculations of spells yet remain successful? not many, and it's because of the reasons I outlined.
other genres remaining successful or not are irrelevant because the chemistry involved is quite different.

They definitely are different types of games.  However, like I said, there's an intersection in their properties.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2008, 05:18:10 pm »
I agree, to a point.  Here's something that's important to consider, I think: they may have been on a budget or a deadline and were unable to "get around to" putting a great deal of effort into taking security precautions.  I understand that there's a certain amount of good development practices that can help avoid introducing vulnerabilities that was clearly lacking here.  The design decision to make casting time, etc, handled locally was probably a really dumb idea.

I don't think that's a good thing, security should not be something you get around to. I don't think what's been shown here is any effort let alone anything less than a great deal.

I'm really just coming down really hard on them because it's funny seeing screenors response, but I do find it somewhat disturbing that after Anarchy Online (great mmo ideas, horrible execution) they still don't have the formula down.

I have high hopes for AoC, and I wouldn't like it to be a "Other" MMORPG but who really knows.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
well, in all fairness, aoc will most likely just become "another" mmorpg. it'll be forgotten in a year or two, and will be overshadowed by the success of wotlk, and warhammer. i came down really hard on funcom, too, because they've been through this before with anarchy online, and they seem to be doing no better than they did back then. i'm not going to be renewing my monthly subscription, and i'm not trolling, either. i truly want to see the game do well because it's got so much potential. sadly, it's blatently obvious that most of the major issues with the game are so deep into the core of the game that it'd almost require an entire rewrite of the engine to fix them. this is why i figure it'll die fairly quickly. there is a pretty big patch coming out tomorrow, apparantly, so we'll see how this patch goes. this, in my mind, is going to be a pretty big breaking point for me. if i see they're putting in a lot of effort to the patches, and fix a lot of bugs here after a week or so, i'll be fairly impressed. if they do another one of their small ass waste of my time patches, i'll be going back to wow without thinking twice about looking back. i'm over horrible companies - there's no reason to have to deal with this type of bullshit when mmorpgs are the "new favorite genre" of online games. blizzard has the best ethics ive seen so far, and i dont care what anyone says but im going to hold any competitors up to blizzards standards - they'll have to be just as good if they want my monthly payments.

on a side note, screenor, is that you on mmownage.com forums? :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:37:34 pm by warz »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2008, 09:20:23 pm »
I feel you, I loved the AoC concept .. I remember talking excitedly to you about them..but Funcom has always had good ideas, their execution blows though.
Who knows, maybe they'll come through with this patch you speak of and they'll be able to survive the WoTLK blitzkrieg.

I don't know though, I wanted Lord of the Rings: Online to succeed to, and it's nothing more than a mediocre mmo.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2008, 11:35:10 am »
yeaaa, theyve done it again. their patch notes sucked, and they fixed a lot of typos. lol. they dont explain what they fix, really, either. here's their notes (this was a patch that took 3 or 4 days to put out)

General

*Fixed some more server and client crashes.
*An issue which could make NPCs evade forever has been resolved.
*An issue which could lead to pets become unresponsive has been resolved.

GUI

*You should now receive feedback if you try to take items from the guild bank without having enough rank.

Items

*Items in tradepost now show stack-size.
*Resources Gathering: Cotton and Cottonwisp have been fixed.
*Kheshatta: Drop rate for Scorpion plate has been increased.
*Fixed a grammatical error with Knarled Leather. It should now be named Gnarled Leather.
*Boltshock Bangles are now properly classified as "Cloth Armor" instead of "Wrist Armor"
*Thunder River: The quest item 'Smoked Meat' has re-received its visual appearance.
*Field of the Dead: 'Fur of Bloodclaw' will no longer end up in the quest inventory.
*Thunder River: The quest item 'Helvenia's Herbs' has re-received its visual appearance.
*Sanctum of the Burning Souls: The boss drop 'Bloodtainted Hoop' will no longer end up in the quest inventory.

Massive PvP

*PVE Player city buildings should no longer be attackable.

NPCs

*Bartholomo's Wife will now respawn more often.
*Acheronian Ruins NPCs will respawn more often
*It should be easier to deal with Renton's Corrupt Friends when doing the quest Awakening II.

Player Characters

Barbarian
*Finishing Blow damage boost should only affect the first hit after the charge.
*Thirst for Blood should correctly trigger it's stacking damage bonuses for you and your team.

Necromancer
*Pets should not auto dismiss so fast when they cannot reach their owner.

Ranger
*Knee-Capping should no longer trigger Root Immunity on NPCs
*Marked for Death should give the correct damage values for bow/xbow.
*Marked for Death cooldown has been adjusted to 3 minutes like originally intended.
*Critical Aim should no longer fail to execute in some situations.
*Critical Aim duration increased to 10 seconds, but it will instantly terminate on the next ranged hit
*You should no longer get messages about getting non existing abilities when training Eagle Eye.

Tempest of Set
*Triumphant Life of Set has had its total damage dealt per cast increased.
*Triumphant Life of Set now deals the damage over 3 seconds instead of instantly.

Quests

*Old Secrets: Golden Golem should now always spawn.
*The Demon in The Tree: The Demon in the Tree Minions should now always attack the player.
*End Battle: Strom should now respawn, making it impossible to break the last part of the end battle.
*Quests Bloodroot, Concealing the Chinks, Purging the Fallen, and Source of Contagion have been improved in Tarantia Noble.

they left out 5 or so pretty big additions from the patch notes. doesn't make sense. anyways, i'm done with aoc for now. i'll check back in on it right before my 30 days expires, but i doubt i'll see much improvement.

back to wow, for now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:41:18 pm by warz »