Author Topic: Canadian Alcohol...  (Read 5038 times)

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
Canadian Alcohol...
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:55:28 pm »
As some of you may know, I've been super idle for a while because I've been getting ready to move to Canada -- I'm here now, obviously. This weekend, I made the unfortunate mistake of drinking WAY too much, and ended up having the worst hangover I hope I ever have.

Though, this didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me, because I drank a lot less than I have back in the states, and back then I never even drank enough to have a headache in the morning.

So, that leads into my question: is it true that Canadian alcohol is more "potent" than American/there's a higher content in their drinks? I honestly can't remember the percentages from the US off the top of my head, so I'm not sure about the comparison.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Canadian Alcohol...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:57:25 pm »
Maybe altitude difference, but probably just what-you-ate difference.

trust

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »
the hangover headache is caused by being dehydrated, drink more water before you drink.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:08:02 pm »
As some of you may know, I've been super idle for a while because I've been getting ready to move to Canada -- I'm here now, obviously. This weekend, I made the unfortunate mistake of drinking WAY too much, and ended up having the worst hangover I hope I ever have.

Though, this didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me, because I drank a lot less than I have back in the states, and back then I never even drank enough to have a headache in the morning.

So, that leads into my question: is it true that Canadian alcohol is more "potent" than American/there's a higher content in their drinks? I honestly can't remember the percentages from the US off the top of my head, so I'm not sure about the comparison.
I'm pretty sure there's no difference in percentage (Canadian beer ranges from 4% - 5%, for the majority of stuff, but can go as high as 10% in the strong stuff), but I know a lot of people who go to the US and drink a ton of beer without feeling it, so maybe there's something to the old story?

In any case, where in Canada?

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:14:57 pm »
I'd say 'yeah' to either not enough water or not enough food, besides the fact I ate half a pizza and was drinking water all throughout while I was drinking. (And, back in the States, I was knocking them back one after another like there was no tomorrow).

The gals I was drinking with said that the alcohol was more potent, but I didn't really believe them. :P They also say they've had friends go to the US and not be able to get drunk off their beer, but, I didn't drink beer; I had a bottle of wine and a couple of hard lemonades. :-/

And, I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Wooo.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:25:32 pm »
The gals I was drinking with said that the alcohol was more potent, but I didn't really believe them. :P They also say they've had friends go to the US and not be able to get drunk off their beer, but, I didn't drink beer; I had a bottle of wine and a couple of hard lemonades. :-/
I've heard that too. I don't know how much is mental and how much is real. But yeah, I don't know about wine or lemonades. Don't get me started on Mike's Hard, though.. that's the first thing I ever drank more than a little bit of, and the first thing I've been sick on. Sucked!

Nice, you're kind of close to Blaze!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:15:06 pm »
Ridiculously boring place.. very chill if you're into the whole outdoors scene, but when I went up there, I was just ready to get out. Haha.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:26:11 pm »
It depends on what you were drinking.  Coolers and beer produced in Canada often have about 2% more alcohol per volume in them than they do in the US.  But that's unlikely to account for a huge difference, and you might not even have been drinking Canadian products.  The same amount of alcohol can have a very different effect depending on
1) time of day
2) how much you've eaten beforehand
3) how you're feeling
4) what other drugs you are currently taking (prescription or otherwise)
5) how hydrated you are
6) what "base" it's in (e.g. scotch vs. beer).
7) how quickly you drink

Wine ranges from 11 to about 15% alcohol per volume in Canada and elsewhere.  A whole bottle of wine is certainly enough to get drunk off of...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:32:55 pm by Rule »

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's no difference in percentage (Canadian beer ranges from 4% - 5%, for the majority of stuff, but can go as high as 10% in the strong stuff), but I know a lot of people who go to the US and drink a ton of beer without feeling it, so maybe there's something to the old story?

In any case, where in Canada?

Sounds about right, at least for near me.  Most of the beer is 4.95% alcohol, and then stronger stuff (like Golden Monkey) is almost 10%.  I don't think beer companies change recipes depending on distribution location.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:37:49 pm »
I don't think beer companies change recipes depending on distribution location.

No they don't, but the Canadian beer companies on average put more alcohol in than the American beer companies.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:40:48 pm »
America is slacking off!  You just not bother with beer.  Go for hard liquor.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:48:25 am »

Yeah, real close!  If like 12-13 hours is close.. :P

but yeah, if you ever come down to a place which sucks a lot less then where you're at does, give me a call.  We'll go bowling.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:55 am »

Yeah, real close!  If like 12-13 hours is close.. :P

but yeah, if you ever come down to a place which sucks a lot less then where you're at does, give me a call.  We'll go bowling.
I purposely didn't say "real close", I said "kind of close" :P

trust

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 10:53:08 am »
In that case, I'm kind of close to Hitmen...even though he's like 7 states away.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:21 am »
I'm pretty close to Myndy then.  He is like 5 hours away.