Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 19360 times)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 08:17:25 pm »
Expected release date: July 2034.

Enough said.

June 29th, 2010.  :)
2 years my ass. We will be lucky to see sc2 by then :P.

After watching the trailer, I decided that D3 is a combination of Guild Wars, WoW, wc3, and d2 :P

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 08:20:13 pm »
Diablo 3 looks exactly like God of War (Good thing)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 08:40:22 pm »
Expected release date: July 2034.

Enough said.

June 29th, 2010.  :)
2 years my ass. We will be lucky to see sc2 by then :P.

After watching the trailer, I decided that D3 is a combination of Guild Wars, WoW, wc3, and d2 :P

Well that sucks.. Only two (if lucky) years to play diablo 3..   >:(

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 02:09:44 am »
I hope they haven't changed trading from Diablo II.  It was my favourite part of the game.  To be honest, I got bored of leveling/questing after about 2 hours.  I'd share an account with someone, let them level my characters, and I would work on raising our wealth.  I loved it.  I loved learning little economic details that would give me an edge.  The korean markets, the volatility in price of various unusual items, the shifts in demand,  the general ignorance of glitched or newly introduced items.  I loved the adrenaline of executing incredible trades.  The introductions, figuring out the other person's mindset, paying attention to subtleties in their behavior that would give me just the slightest psychological advantage.  Eventually I became the wealthiest person on USWest (or definitely one of the top 5), and I loved the journey more than the end result.  Sometimes I would gain enough Diablo wealth that whoever I was sharing my account with would doublecross me, even if we were long time internet acquaintances.  But I always worked my way back to the top -- usually ending up with more than whoever had taken my previous accounts -- which was wonderfully ironic. 

Anyways, in 2001, trading and selling in that game was better than heroin without withdrawal.  And though I never played WoW, I hear Blizzard went out of their way to ruin that aspect of the game: they cracked down on internet selling, and changed the trading environment.  I hope they don't do that to Diablo 3.  If they do, this game isn't worth it.  If they don't, I'd be happy to take care of our inventory if you'll do the leveling.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:13:32 am by Rule »

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 02:11:36 am »
Willing to trade WC2BNE Key for D2 original key.  :(

Edit: Hooray - Never mind.  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:47:58 am by Blaze »
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 05:19:01 am »
I hope they haven't changed trading from Diablo II.  It was my favourite part of the game.  To be honest, I got bored of leveling/questing after about 2 hours.  I'd share an account with someone, let them level my characters, and I would work on raising our wealth.  I loved it.  I loved learning little economic details that would give me an edge.  The korean markets, the volatility in price of various unusual items, the shifts in demand,  the general ignorance of glitched or newly introduced items.  I loved the adrenaline of executing incredible trades.  The introductions, figuring out the other person's mindset, paying attention to subtleties in their behavior that would give me just the slightest psychological advantage.  Eventually I became the wealthiest person on USWest (or definitely one of the top 5), and I loved the journey more than the end result.  Sometimes I would gain enough Diablo wealth that whoever I was sharing my account with would doublecross me, even if we were long time internet acquaintances.  But I always worked my way back to the top -- usually ending up with more than whoever had taken my previous accounts -- which was wonderfully ironic. 

Anyways, in 2001, trading and selling in that game was better than heroin without withdrawal.  And though I never played WoW, I hear Blizzard went out of their way to ruin that aspect of the game: they cracked down on internet selling, and changed the trading environment.  I hope they don't do that to Diablo 3.  If they do, this game isn't worth it.  If they don't, I'd be happy to take care of our inventory if you'll do the leveling.

100% agree with every word of this post. trading was a huge part of diablo 2. i remember doing this ring trick, where you'd place an soj in the trade window, and then before hitting accept, you'd replace it with a ring that visually looked the same, and youd hit accept. 80% of the time the person would just continue with it, and you'd get whatever items you were trading a soj for.

there was a lot of psychology involved in d2's trading system. it was great.

but, the highlight of my diablo 2 days were when i wrote this key logger. it was disguised as a map hack, and it'd email me the  usernames and password, as well as the  realms from the registry. it was classic. i had hundreds of accounts. i had duped zod swords, windforces weren't shit.... i had like 5 or so, nothing was out of my grasp. great diablo times. i had a 99 zon, and 99 barb. i remember getting the first level 99 PK on east hardcore ladder diablo 2. i had a level 88 barb that i got from my key logger, with one of those zod or ith or some shit swords, and i killed a level 99 sorc. i amost died, but killed it and grabbed the ear. ill try to find the screenshots, but it was epic.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:22:17 am by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 11:16:16 am »
I always had a problem starting off. How did you get your first items of value?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 12:14:05 pm »
i remember doing this ring trick, where you'd place an soj in the trade window, and then before hitting accept, you'd replace it with a ring that visually looked the same, and youd hit
accept. 80% of the time the person would just continue with it, and you'd get whatever items you were trading a soj for.

Yes, I remember that.  You can make the scam more effective by pretending you're playing a game with the other player.  You pretend you're joking/being ADHD/whatever, and just keep clicking the soj in various parts of the trade window and briefly pressing the green check mark.  Usually the other person buys in to the game, and thinks if he can press his green check fast enough, he'll make the trade for the soj.  Eventually the person is rabid to initiate the trade before you lift the soj, and that's when you quickly switch it with an identical looking ring, and slow down your reaction time just enough to let the other person "win".

Most of my best trades involved playing on ignorance towards unusual/newly introduced items.  Just before the expansion came out, they released a patch that allowed 5 socket items to drop.  I filled a bow with 5 perfect emeralds, and the poison damage looked insane.  (1200 or so).  I traded it for 10 SOJs + 4 rare dupes each worth 40 sojs.   How?  I had an incredibly rare bow that did a lot of immediate damage and was very fast attack.  I dueled with the potential buyer, and in between shots I would switch bows.  So he was all green from poison damage, but immediately after (split seconds) he was nailed with a couple shots of real damage (in addition to the powerful bow, my amazon had an unusually large amount of dexterity).

The poison bow? Totally worthless.  It took time for the poison to do its damage, it wasn't very fast attack, and most people have some poison resistance.  The actual damage it dealt was closer to 100, and it took like 5 minutes.  Two days after that there is no way I could have made that trade.

I have a lot of other great stories, but I don't really want to talk about them. :P

Re: Towelie.  You have to have something decent to build up from.  Either play the game for a couple days (which is something I would want to do anyways), and wait til' you can make a few OK trades, or work your way up with various scams, or just get a few good items from friends who are rich enough they don't mind giving them to you. 

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 12:27:15 pm »

Re: Towelie.  You have to have something decent to build up from.  Either play the game for a couple days (which is something I would want to do anyways), and wait til' you can make a few OK trades, or work your way up with various scams, or just get a few good items from friends who are rich enough they don't mind giving them to you. 
so... starting with nothing is a pain in the ass if you have no friends?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 12:32:28 pm »

so... starting with nothing is a pain in the ass if you have no friends?

Well, you just play the game like 99% of the other players do, and wait until you find a few acceptable trade items.  Just start a character, and work through all the quests.  It has to be done at some point anyways; might as well do it when trading isn't much of an option.  It's more of a pain if you're getting into the game late.  If you're starting out near the release, pretty much everyone is in the same position.  Scamming is also an option.

But really, if you have nothing and no friends it doesn't really matter at all.  You can start trading immediately if you're willing to pay.  Just go to a korean market, buy 200 or 300 SOJs for about 40 cents each, and then sell them for $3 each on ebay.

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 12:57:23 am »
Makes me want to get back in to D2LoD for awhile, but I have no keys and barely know anyone on bnet anymore :/

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 01:23:25 am »
yeah, it sucks. i got on d2 and hit level 11, or something, and went back to wow. lol. definitely sucks not having the hook ups on diablo 2 anymore.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 05:53:48 pm »
I always had a problem starting off. How did you get your first items of value?

It helps to have friends, but as Rule outlined, it's all about trading. Nothing in d2 is more important. If you're not good at trading, you'll never make a decent character, no matter how much time you spend. After a ladder reset, you'll find that the characters at the top of the ladder aren't really spending all that much time leveling; they're spending most of their time in channels or on d2jsp trading.

If you haven't already heard of d2jsp, go to d2jsp.org and make an account - every self respecting d2 player trades there. It's a forum geared towards trading - think ebay for d2 items, with forum topics instead of auctions, and forum gold (or fg) instead of dollars. You can buy fg (1fg=$0.035), but that actually would take the fun out of the game.

You'll have to have a good understanding of what items people want - this means you'll have to be familiar with all of the different character builds. I actually found a charm yesterday that I almost sold to merchants, but in passing (I was saying "damn another crappy charm" or something like that), someone offered me some mid runes for it. After doing some investigation, I realized that it was an excellent charm for a barbarian. I put it up on d2jsp.org, and it sold for 85fg. To put that in perspective, SOJs are currently ~450fg (ladder reset about 2 weeks ago).

I think it's pretty sad that the vast majority of the people who play d2, even the ones who are pretty good at it, are incredibly inept at trading. This is partially due to a lack of understanding of game dynamics, but primarily due to the false perception that economics make the game less fun. Two of my friends from BNU basically ganged up on me for trading on d2jsp, primarily taking stabs to the end that it's lame to sell non-ladder items in exchange for ladder items. There's nothing I can say to convince someone otherwise, because it's a mindset issue; if you actually tried to sell NL items for ladder items, you'd realize that you'd make more FG just playing your ladder character and selling ladder items, since NL is already flooded with way more items for sale than people want to buy. A high rune on NL runs for about 15-20fg. On ladder, you can expect to pay 50-100x more with the current market state. I've been selling low runes for 5fg a piece.

So, back to the question: how do you get started. I started by doing countess runs in normal. Lots and lots of countess runs. If you don't already know this, the countess usually drops runes. Low runes. With the market in its current state, I can sell the medium-low runes for 5fg. That's how I got the gear I needed to survive in NM. When I got to NM, I started doing countess runs in NM, getting (slightly) higher runes, and repeated the process, buying better gear and selling the old gear. By the time you get through NM, you should be doing Mephisto runs, and have a bit of MF. The stuff you'll find off of him will sometimes sell pretty well. Making the jump to hell is pretty difficult; being able to solo in hell is impossible without lots of +resist gear.

One of the ways I made a bunch of fg is by making spirit shields/swords. The runeword consists of all low runes, which you can easily find in nightmare countess runs. You can find the 4 socket gear you need in cow runs. A crappy spirit sword runs for 15-20fg; a perfect roll could run as high as 200fg.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 06:12:48 pm »
That makes me angry that SOJs are worth something again. I had dozens rotting on a bank character, when I quit they weren't worth shit.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 06:23:18 pm »
I feel like I should mention this, but only because Rule said something earlier about the lack of a trading community in World of Warcraft.

It's correct that they don't allow trading sites to exist (I'm not sure of the exact restrictions to be honest, though).  However, the auction house almost completely eliminates the need for one.  It's an in-game, categorized system that allows you to sell stuff for game currency.  Maybe the detachment from the game (ie, external currency) is what makes it fun, but I do the same sorts of things Camel mentioned in terms of trading.  I don't get into scamming or anything, but I do play off of players' ignorance.  For example, I'll buy a pattern from a vendor for 90s and resell it for 10g (more than 1000% markup).

Just thought I should mention the trading capability is there in WoW, although it's probably in a much different light.