Poll

Can you define the word prorate, without the use of a dictionary (or the internet, you cheater!)

Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 30, 2008, 03:32:19 am

Author Topic: Prorating  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
Prorating
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:32:19 am »
I have a friend from battle.net with whom I've been farming Hellfire Torches for the past four days now. At the end of every day, we settle up our differences in d2jsp forum gold - we split the difference of the fg spent on keys, and the fg gained from selling the torches. For the past three days, this has been a royal pain in the ass, ending with "just give me XXfg and then we're even KTHXBAI." Today, we did several torch runs, and had very bad luck (lost over 300fg), but were able to sell off some high-value torches that we found yesterday, at our 8PM closing we were both up a lot from where we were this morning.

[wordproblem]
At 10PM, we re-opened - I spent 255fg on keys, and my friend spent 55fg on keys. We farmed three torches with these keys; my friend sold one torch for 400fg. My friend then sent me 200fg with the comment "your cut," which signaled our closing for the night.

Are there any unpaid debts?
[/wordproblem]

When I asked my friend to prorate the keys, he spazzed out, and in the moment I assumed that happened because he thought I was trying to rip him off. Turns out, he'd just never heard the word before.

Is the context in which I asked for proration not defining to the word?

[answer]
The gains for the session were equal(400 split 200/200), but the losses were unequal(310 split 55/255). Overall, I was down 55, while my friend was up 145.

In order to equalize the profit, prorate (in this case, 50/50) the net gains; averaging the net gains tells us what each person should have for a final net gain: (145 + -55) / 2 = 45. This is a discrepancy of 100fg from each of us.
[/answer]

[/post]

[edit]these numbers were made up on the spot, complete with incorrect addition. fixed now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:14:17 am by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Prorating
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:53 am »
I couldn't define it, but when you explained it I knew exactly what you were talking about...if that helps?

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:48:58 am »
Did you pick up its meaning from the context in which I used it, or from my math/words that explained how to calculate his debt? My theory is that the context makes it obvious what the word means.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:09:15 pm »
...you should give me D2/LoD keys and a rush so I can play again, kthx.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:30:08 pm »
Did you pick up its meaning from the context in which I used it, or from my math/words that explained how to calculate his debt? My theory is that the context makes it obvious what the word means.
I figured it out a little from the context (even though I have no clue what's going on with WoW or whatever it was), but your math made it more clear to me.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:39 am »
...you should give me D2/LoD keys and a rush so I can play again, kthx.

lol

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Blaze> in my butt
<Blaze> Okay!