Author Topic: Intel ISEF  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Intel ISEF
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:53:40 am »
Hey All,

I'm writing from the Wingate Inn in Phoenix, AZ at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.

So far it's been a fantastic, amazing, once-in-a-lifetime experience. For the opening ceremony earlier today, we had some AWESOME speakers. First, they had some mariachi band (which I didn't like much since I hate Spanish/Mexican-ish music) and a Native American trible/hoop dance (which I thought was really awesome) - mostly to represent the AZ culture, methinks. Anyway, after that, they had the chief meteorologist of AZ come up to stage (who from that point on was the sort of "announcer"). He then brought out the governer of AZ (who talked for a while) and she introduced/brought out Craig Berret (I think that was his name) - the President / CEO of Intel. He was a really awesome/laid back guy. He announced the "Intel Fellows" and "Intel Senior Fellows," which were basically Intel employees who had made some significant contribution to the study/progress in the Intel corporation.

The keynote speaker was Dr. Sally Ride (for those of you who don't know who she is, she was the first American Woman in space), who has her Ph.D in Astro Physics. She showed pictures from her flights in space.

We've also had a pin exchange (which was before the opening ceremony - last night), also very awesome. There were kids from 40 some different countries that were exchanging pins (and things of that nature). I'll have you all know that I got one from KOREA (w00t!!) ^_^.

I've also had somewhat of a chance to glance at the other computer science projects. Some of them are phenomenal. There's about 100 projects in my category, but I've only really memorized the titles of a few. There's another one on encryption (something to do with the number of sylables in a word + an encryption key, didn't read into it much), there's one on Decompling Java, some kid trying to get a cluster of Linux XBox's to network, one with a new multidementional mapping algorithm...ect. I can try to get a digital copy of the listings of project titles if any of you are interested. Also, if any of the above sound interesting to you, I can try to talk to the owner of the project and/or get a copy of their abstract for you (with the exception of those who's projects aren't in English...the kid a few projects down from me is from Istanbul, India. I think the one next to me is from Khazakastan :|).

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested. ^_^
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 02:55:31 am by Sidoh »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Intel ISEF
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:08:48 am »
Decompiling Java sounds fun. The cluster of Linux XBox's sounds fun too. :)

Glad you're enjoying yourself. It sounds like a ton of fun.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:41:45 am »
Way awesome stuff! 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:42:27 pm »
Decompiling Java sounds fun. The cluster of Linux XBox's sounds fun too. :)

Glad you're enjoying yourself. It sounds like a ton of fun.

I'll try to grab you a copy of their abstracts. :)

Today there's a panel...a PANEL...of nobel piece prize laureates. I think there's like 10 of them, and they're all old. :)

Offline Networks

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:52:10 pm »
SIDOH, OMG, OMG, OMG....

I live in Gilbert, Arizona..Imma go see you if I can. One of my parents friends is a judge over there. He's an engineer for Intel. Imma ask him if I can go with him to it. Maybe we chill or something..!!!!!!!!! Email me or something: DigitalWarfare@gmail.com

http://www.zeroforce.net

[16:50:11] Networks:0:32: What will soup bot be like?
[16:50:15] Warrior[x86]:16:-1: soup-like.
[16:50:21] warzofbeta@Lordaeron:0:62: Like god.
[16:50:26] Warrior[x86]:16:-1: Fake?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 01:34:28 pm »
Sure. My project ID is CS058. There's signs on the cieling indicating the different categories (Computer Science, Botany, etc). Mine's right by the "Hub." They're in numerical order (kind of), so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Judging is tomorrow. See you there (maybe). :D

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 05:32:25 pm »
Koreans go to my school :)

Anyways, would you *kindly* get as many of the english abstracts as possible for me?  I'll give you $.05 each over paypal, no joke.

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 06:22:35 pm »
Sure. My project ID is CS058. There's signs on the cieling indicating the different categories (Computer Science, Botany, etc). Mine's right by the "Hub." They're in numerical order (kind of), so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Judging is tomorrow. See you there (maybe). :D

awww..I have school though...-.-

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »

Anyways, would you *kindly* get as many of the english abstracts as possible for me?  I'll give you $.05 each over paypal, no joke.

There's (literally) over 1000 projects. What categories are you interested in? I don't know if the people there would much like me carrying around copies of project abstracts without even knowing what they are. :)

There's (that I can think of):
Environmental Sciences
Behavioral / Social Sciences
Earth / Space Sciences
Zoology
Botony
Chemistry
Physics
Engineering
Mathematics
And of course....Computer Science (a lot of the engineering projects have ASM in them though. Ryan Patterson knows ASM very well because of his glove thing).

Networks: I would imagine it's really hard to function / get around this place without a name tag. They've got 3 security guards posted at every door in the projects room looking for name tags. There is one day (I think it's Thursday) where they have it open to the public though.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 09:37:15 pm »
Bottom 4 :) (I'm nuts).
Computer Science and Engineering are my top interests, followed by Physics and Math, in no specific order.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 01:35:28 am »
Bottom 4 :) (I'm nuts).
Computer Science and Engineering are my top interests, followed by Physics and Math, in no specific order.

Those would have been my picks too. :P

I don't know how good/interesting the math projects are, because all the really advanced ones are in computer science or engineering (possibly even physics), or at least I would imagine.

The guy with the project on Decompling Java is staying in the same hotel I'm in, so if you're interested in that one, I can try to talk to him more. Reverse engineering really isn't my thing though, so no promises on me understanding the vocabulary he uses. :P

Offline Networks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 01:03:05 pm »

There's (literally) over 1000 projects. What categories are you interested in? I don't know if the people there would much like me carrying around copies of project abstracts without even knowing what they are. :)

There's (that I can think of):
Environmental Sciences
Behavioral / Social Sciences
Earth / Space Sciences
Zoology
Botony
Chemistry
Physics
Engineering
Mathematics
And of course....Computer Science (a lot of the engineering projects have ASM in them though. Ryan Patterson knows ASM very well because of his glove thing).

Networks: I would imagine it's really hard to function / get around this place without a name tag. They've got 3 security guards posted at every door in the projects room looking for name tags. There is one day (I think it's Thursday) where they have it open to the public though.

Sidoh, like I said, one of my parents friends works at Intel and is a judge over there. I could probably have more access than you :P.  What days are you going to be there and time? I may be able to show up if it's the weekend or in the evening after 3:00 PM. I'll talk to my parents friend, he was telling me about the Intel Science Fair thingy during the weekend so he would take me if I asked. ^^. Also get be some abstracts of the Java Decompiling shit if I don't make it!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 03:32:50 am »
The ISEF event ends Friday night, that's the last awards cerimony. Thursday (tomorrow) is the public session (where they allow the public to come and look/ask about projects on display). I'll be in the exhibit room tomorrow from 10:00-2:00 (or so, I got invited to a MIT lunchon at some grill place here). My flight arives at its destination (to home) at 5:35PM on Friday.

As for the judges, they don't have any special "accesses." The abstracts are laying on the table. Anyone can just take one. There's no behind-the-scenes papers or anything (other than the judging score-cards, which you can't access unless you have a big nametag that says "JUDGE" for that category). But anyway, cool. Engineering was right accross from me. I may have seen him pass me or something. There are 2-3 rows of engineering projects, though. I heard there were 300+ of them, but I didn't take the time to count. :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 02:44:43 am »
Update:

Today was the public viewing. That went okay I guess. Not many public people interested in Computer Science. :(

Also, today was the Special Awards Cerimony. I didn't get anything, but then again, I wasn't expecting anything. :) The keynote speaker there (yes, a keynote speaker at an awards cerimony...) was Brian Green, a world renown phyisisist, best known for his work in the string theory. He was the lead developer (and now is the leading scientist in the field of it). For those of you who aren't familiar with the string theory, it basically defines the most elementary 'particles' as vibrating strings that have length, but no other dimension. This (for complicated reasons) harmoniously ties together General Relativity (Einstein's theory for gravity and the like) and quantum physics (which previously had contradicted Einstein's theory).

I just thought some of you might find this interesting. :)

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 01:43:36 pm »
Sounds like a great trip, did you steal any xeons for me?
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce