Author Topic: The Mojave Experiment  (Read 2464 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
The Mojave Experiment
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:20:06 pm »
Very, very interesting.  Self-explanatory, need to see it.

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/#

So much FUD out there.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: The Mojave Experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
Definitely funny. I haven't watched the whole thing, but do they talk at all about the methodology? Because my parents got a Vista computer and liked it at first, but after a couple weeks they started hating it enough that they asked me to install XP on it. Did these people get the 5-minute play-around demo, or were they asked to use it for a few weeks?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:38:50 pm »
I saw this on Wired a couple of days ago.

I've given one friend Vista. I solved one issue he had with iTunes in 64-bit, and he loves it.

Though personally I'm using XP SP3 on my MacBook simply because the only thing I need it for is gaming, and I've had a few issues (solvable, but issues nontheless I don't want to deal with) with Vista and some older games. Otherwise, I'd go with Vista. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:40:42 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:29 pm »
It seems The Mojave Experiment is aimed at giving first impressions and proving that people judge a product when they know next to nothing about it.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:07 pm »
That's cool, but it seems, from the first minute or two that I watched, that they're comparing different things.

On one hand, they hear that Windows Vista has a bad reputation.

On the other, they get a good first impression from it.

I don't think those things are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:28:03 pm »
That's cool, but it seems, from the first minute or two that I watched, that they're comparing different things.

On one hand, they hear that Windows Vista has a bad reputation.

On the other, they get a good first impression from it.

I don't think those things are necessarily mutually exclusive.
It's true, but the truth of the matter is that there's a lot of FUD about Vista out there.  My mom has NEVER used it and she's paranoid that she's going to be entirely unable to use it, and she needs to for her work.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

My ex-girlfriend's parents LOVE it, and they're not technological at all.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:48 pm »
It's true, but the truth of the matter is that there's a lot of FUD about Vista out there.  My mom has NEVER used it and she's paranoid that she's going to be entirely unable to use it, and she needs to for her work.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Heh, you went FUD? Have you tried convincing somebody to try Mac? Or, worse yet, Linux? When it comes right down to it, all the OSes have their baggage attached.

I think one of the big mistakes they've made, though, is forcing people to use Vista. If it's a good OS, people will change over in due time. But when there's suddenly a cut off and everybody (at least, anybody who doesn't know how to install their own OS) has to use it, whether they want to or not, people will naturally be put off. Most people, especially luddites, don't like serious change.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:11:43 am »

Heh, you went FUD? Have you tried convincing somebody to try Mac? Or, worse yet, Linux? When it comes right down to it, all the OSes have their baggage attached.

I think one of the big mistakes they've made, though, is forcing people to use Vista. If it's a good OS, people will change over in due time. But when there's suddenly a cut off and everybody (at least, anybody who doesn't know how to install their own OS) has to use it, whether they want to or not, people will naturally be put off. Most people, especially luddites, don't like serious change.

I think there is a definite choice, if people want a Mac then they go to an Apple store. I don't really see Windows boxes in Apple store shelves. For Linux, I think if you even know liinux exists you are not the type of person to have an OS installed for you. Even so, Dell offers an Ubuntu line of PCs as well. There is also things like the ASUS Laptops which come with Linux too.

The only other option is Windows XP, which was (still is?) available as a downgrade option. Even so, I think they've done more than enough by having XP available as long as they did. I really don't see a version of OSX from now seven years ago still being offered (let alone supported) by Apple.

I do think this Mojave Experiment is pretty cool. I don't really think it's needed, it's not like there is a shortage of Vista sales.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:31:37 am »
I think there is a definite choice, if people want a Mac then they go to an Apple store. I don't really see Windows boxes in Apple store shelves. For Linux, I think if you even know liinux exists you are not the type of person to have an OS installed for you. Even so, Dell offers an Ubuntu line of PCs as well. There is also things like the ASUS Laptops which come with Linux too.
I don't think that has anything to do with what I said. I'm saying that people believe a lot of FUD about Mac/Linux, too, it isn't specific to Windows Vista.

The only other option is Windows XP, which was (still is?) available as a downgrade option. Even so, I think they've done more than enough by having XP available as long as they did. I really don't see a version of OSX from now seven years ago still being offered (let alone supported) by Apple.
Last I heard, a couple places (or just Dell?) were still offering XP.

I think the difference between XP->Vista was significant compared to any Apple updates. It wasn't just a few tweaks and charge you a ton of money (Apple's strategy), there was a major overhaul to the look and feel, which scares a lot of people off, especially the grandparent-types who memorize everything by rote, and have the steps written down to perform each action.

<edit> Also, please note that I'm not saying that Apple is better (or worse) here. So don't think I'm praising one over the other.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:38:34 am by iago »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:27:36 am »
I don't think that has anything to do with what I said. I'm saying that people believe a lot of FUD about Mac/Linux, too, it isn't specific to Windows Vista.

I interpreted your quote "One of the biggest mistakes they've made is forcing people to use Vista" as saying that there are not viable alternatives from Manufacturers. Did you mean just as opposed to using XP?

Last I heard, a couple places (or just Dell?) were still offering XP.

Ah, that's probably true then. I don't really keep up with XP news anymore.

I think the difference between XP->Vista was significant compared to any Apple updates. It wasn't just a few tweaks and charge you a ton of money (Apple's strategy), there was a major overhaul to the look and feel, which scares a lot of people off, especially the grandparent-types who memorize everything by rote, and have the steps written down to perform each action.

I agree and I've seen the confusion first hand, I think though that once I showed them things like Instant Search and the ability to save searches to create a sort of pseudo-virtual-folders they were able to find most of what they needed. The most confusing thing for most seemed  to be the fact that Microsoft reorganized some panels simply for the sake of reorganizing them, they offer relatively the same functional use, that's a mistake I think.

Overall though, aside from the small learning curve once people learn about the things in Vista they find it much easier to find files, organize multimedia, and overall have a better end-to-end experience versus XP. I think Microsoft dropped the ball on Vista advertising, it needed to really highlight these features.