Author Topic: Red light cameras  (Read 2337 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Red light cameras
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:18:06 pm »
http://www.lcsun-news.com/opinion/ci_10107540

Our city is lookin at getting some, what's your perspective on them?

Albuquerque, the big city in NM, has them.  The company that maintained them (I think still RedFlux, the ones bidding on our system) jewed the citizens out of shit tons of money by issuing citations that weren't on the up-and-up.  Also, shortened yellow light time is a concern.
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/17/1790.asp

The editorial I posted above takes issue with the company receiving money per ticket, not a flat fee.  It's obvious that the company will take advantage in every way possible.

I don't like being screwed by government or private companies doing the work government SHOULD be doing.  Private contractors attempting to enforce the law is bullshit and should be challenged!

I plan to find out the time/date for our meeting on red light cameras and attend with my concerns/rants/objections.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Red light cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:22:11 pm »
I find that they don't do/cost anything to people, in general. It only takes a couple weeks to get used to them, by which point everybody is slowing down anyways (ours do speed/running reds).

Mobile radar is the nastier one, because people don't know where it is, necessarily.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:22:25 pm »
I don't like being screwed by government or private companies doing the work government SHOULD be doing.  Private contractors attempting to enforce the law is bullshit and should be challenged!

And it is easily challenged. If a police officer doesn't deliver you your ticket, it's not valid. My stepmom got a ticket from a speeding camera (90 in a 65 or something on the freeway) and to this day hasn't paid it, and she's OK.

That's how it works in Arizona. Not sure how it works in NM.

I have no problem with them. We have them in California and Arizona. They're no biggie. Just don't blatantly run red lights.

Bigger concern is speeding cameras... how do they detect your speed? My dad has a radar gun detector with like 4 different frequencies, and they never set it off. So, how do they do it?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 03:26:17 pm »

And it is easily challenged. If a police officer doesn't deliver you your ticket, it's not valid. My stepmom got a ticket from a speeding camera (90 in a 65 or something on the freeway) and to this day hasn't paid it, and she's OK.

I have no problem with them. We have them in California and Arizona. They're no biggie. Just don't blatantly run red lights.

Bigger concern is speeding cameras... how do they detect your speed? My dad has a radar gun detector with like 4 different frequencies, and they never set it off. So, how do they do it?
They use infrared beams of light.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:38:10 pm »
I find that they don't do/cost anything to people, in general. It only takes a couple weeks to get used to them, by which point everybody is slowing down anyways (ours do speed/running reds).

Mobile radar is the nastier one, because people don't know where it is, necessarily.

I'd rather be talkin to a real mother fucking cop instead of just receiving a (possibly) bogus ticket in the mail.

Not here.  They're civil penalties.  You're fucked.  There is an appeals process, but fuck that shit.  At least they're not on all lights.  There are some lights in town that have FUBAR'd sensors and at night you just run them.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:17:19 pm »

Big-government commie.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 02:09:44 am »
The govt already exists, I just think they should do their job, troll.

Offline Hell-Lord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 03:30:39 am »
Uh..

Got two fines recently because of them -.- so yea they suck!